• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Yes. They just work, work well, and the no BS warranty is pretty great. Even if you bought it used, they stand behind their stuff :yesway:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i have thought about getting one next year...and im still on the fence about it. I was looking at the xl 650 and eventually upgrade it to be automated (run it while im there to keep an eye on it and all) with case feeder and bullet feeder. Anyone tackle that yet that can comment on it?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got a 550 and its worth every penny I paid for it. It is very consistent, very stable, holds its value well, and has a great warranty.

I've got a Lee Pro 1000 and its worth every penny I paid for it. It's fast (faster than the 550), very quick to change caliber/primer size, not as stable, has a decent warranty and cost 1/3rd as much as the Dillon 550.

I've got a Lyman All-American turret press that's worth every penny I paid for it. It is rock-solid, much slower than either of the presses above, almost PERFECTLY consistent, is the easiest to change calibers on, and since I don't think there is anything on it that could break, I have never bothered to look up what the warranty might be. It cost a little less than 1/4th of the Dillon.

Whether the Dillon is worth the money to you is probably dependent on how much money you have, which Dillon you are looking at, and how much ammunition you plan to load.

BTW, The Blue Press is free. Just sign up on the Dillon website to receive it in the mail! :)

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    339   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Two things about Dillon 550's and 650's -

First, they work. They're brilliantly designed to do exactly what they're supposed to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Second, their customer service makes their presses worth more than their price tag. Think about it this way - if you buy a used press for $600, and over the course of 10 years, break and receive $400 worth of free parts, what is it worth now? Probably still $600. Nothing holds its value like a Dillon press does.

1050's are a different story, and they don't come with the "No B.S." warrenty. You'll get one year of parts and service, after that, they're out of warranty. But they're a different kind of machine all together.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    happyreloaderBlue.gif

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The current popular progressives on the market right now are (in no particular order):

Dillon XL 650 (ie. Blue religion)
    Hornady lock n load (ie. Red religion)
    RCBS Pro 2000 Auto (ie. Green religion)
    Lee Pro 1000 Progressive (ie. Yellow religion)

Like real religions all have their fanactics and all have pros/cons to them. What I have found out is that the customer service from all the companies is great, the presses work and help is only a phone call away from the companies.

Do you like to tweet stuff? If so then the LEE is the way for you to go as people have tweeted/mod those to their hearts content.

On the other end of the specturm is the all in one package where you buy everything from one source for your machine: ie Dillon.

In between you have the red and green which with the red compiting more with the blue than the green does.

All are fine presses for the market they are serving. No one press however will have everything/feature you want without some type of weakness.

On this board I think you will find a lot of BLUE fanactics and some RED as well. The website THR - Powered by vBulletin is where you will find GREEN & YELLOW fanactis.

Ultimate Reloader is a great source from a guy that does review on all the current brands.

Best advise I can give you is PHYSCIALLY TRY THEM ALL OUT. You might like the features of say the red/blue/gree/yellow one but upon using it might not like the way it feels (ie. lever pull, placement of dies vs your hands, size of press, etc.) Just like you don't just go and buy a car without test driving it same with the presses.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I got mine before I knew anything at all about which presses were quality ones I had never heard of them before but when the guy showed it to me I could tell it was a quality piece of equipment so I bought it and it hasnt disappointed me on bit.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I've been using dillon presses since 1983 and could count on one hand with fingers left over how many times I've had problems with them. In those rare occaisons when I have had problems Dillon's Customer service has been second to none. When they say warrantied for life they mean it.

Bottom line is that if you want a progressive reloading press, Buy Dillon!!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I wasted close to a year messing with a Lee Pro1000. It was finicky, required constant adjustment, and just a plain pain in the ass.

I bought a used Dillon 550 and I vividly remember the first 5 rounds I loaded because I sat back and thought about all the time and energy I wasted on that POS Lee press. There is THAT much of a difference. Really.

People can say "fanboy" this and "fanatic". Whatever. All I know is my time is worth more to me than saving a few bucks and getting (read; having) to tweak and modify things when these Dillon presses work right out of the box like they should.

Is the blue press worth the money? Hell yes they are!

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Like I said before Worth every shiney dime.

Heres why.... they just flat out work, and work right. Once you get set up, its done. Unless you change something, you dont have to fussk with it to keep it running.

Their CS is second to none. Broke a plate carrier return spring on my 650 about 20k rounds in, had a new one 2 days later.

Bought a 2nd 650 used, the original owner had replaced some of the adjustment screws with thumb screws, I didn't care for them and called dillon to purchase the correct spec screws, 2 days later, new screws, no charge.

Top Bottom