Is the DA/SA pistol becoming a thing of the past?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess I am a product of the 80's and maybe time has passed me by but I like DA/SA hammer fired pistols. I know they are still out there but nothing new seems to be coming online. Seems it's a striker fired world now.
    Meh…I’m sure they wrote off the revolvers back in the day. But you can still buy even black powder, cap and ball versions. Tastes change, fads come and go. I still carry my 229 every day and don’t plan on changing. (But I’m old).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Either Striker Fired or SAO this is the way. We don't do any middle ground crap here. But in all seriousness yes the DA/SA market is dying IMHO it will be a slow death like the 40S&W but it will happen none the less. Just look at how many DA/SA model guns SIG has dropped for an indicator.
    Not dying, just receding. No different than with revolvers.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    With the resurgence in the 2011 platform, the continued sales of the Sig P series and the CZ line, I expect hammer fired guns have a long run ahead of them and along with them SA/DA.

Market share numbers would be interesting to see. SW recently introduced the CSX so something points to hammer fired guns - though it is an SA gun?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think they have a lower market share than they once did, but they are still out there and improvements are still happening.
    The CZ 75 line is alive and well, and they are still releasing new variants.
    The Beretta 92X lineup offers some really nice updates to the old-school 92s...much better trigger, modular grip options, higher mag capacity, optic-ready (even if Berettas optic solution does kind of suck), etc.
    Sig is still selling stuff from their classic line, although at a significantly reduced rate.
    People still buy DA/SA H&Ks, too, but having pulled some of those triggers I've never understood why, lol
    I don't think DA/SA is going away any time soon.
    I've never been a fan of DA/SA triggers, preferring SAO or DAO over the combination trigger (I prefer consistency with the trigger), but I don't think they'll completely go away either, largely in part to a) the following that they have (older shooters, but not that many new or younger shooters), and b) because they do work very well and still provide a SA trigger that contributes to more accurate shooting for competition / target / etc.
    My wife likes the DA/SA trigger, but I do not...hence her Beretta 92FS and my Beretta 92D Centurion (DAO), which both use the same magazines, yet lets each of us use a trigger that we prefer, for when we are out together and are both carrying.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Not dying, just receding. No different than with revolvers.

I would say there are more new revolver models offered each year that DA/SA guns at this point. The most recent the Springfield XD-E was discontinued after a couple years of production. SIG has not released a new DA/SA guns either to my knowledge.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I guess I am a product of the 80's and maybe time has passed me by but I like DA/SA hammer fired pistols. I know they are still out there but nothing new seems to be coming online. Seems it's a striker fired world now.
    It is but, there are some companies doing DA/SA pistols today. Personally, I like the Girsan Regard. Has some features that only expensive Berettas have for cheap. I don’t carry mine but could and, I’m pretty good with it. I noticed that my experience with a DA revolver was easy to use on the first trigger pull. The “G” style decocker only is a HUGE plus for me and the “Sport Gen 4” has that same option.
    I’m not sure if there are other companies offering the same functionality on their new pistols.
    At any rate, they aren’t dead really, just not as popular.

Personally, I like the striker fired pistols for daily CCW.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpeg
      IMG_1909.jpeg
      492.8 KB · Views: 3
    • IMG_9057.jpeg
      IMG_9057.jpeg
      589.2 KB · Views: 3

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I think as long as Glock leg is a thing, there are going to be people wanting a DA/SA.
    To keep from getting “Glock Leg”, or other parts….

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

$. DA/SA guns and revolvers are more expensive to make and the benefits are largely lost on the masses except for certain niches. They will continue in that role, but unless someone figures out how to make something as stupidly reliably and simple as a Glock for even less money Glock and near peers will remain king of the mountain.

Top Bottom