• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    The manufacturers were riding a wave. Their greatest salesman Barack drove up sales for years. All the manufactures had to do was look in their crystal ball to know that 2018 would not reach the record levels of 2017. Hillary would be elected and their high profit margin guns would be banned and sales would dramatically decline once the witch was in office, either by law or executive order. Well someone tripped and broke the crystal ball and Trump was elected but the result was the same, sales declined because panic buying ceased. If they are surprised they suck at business planning.

Interesting point, I never thought of it like that but you're right, the spiked prices were temporary no matter who won....though if the B won there would have been another yearish for all the inventory to be sold for top $$$.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The industry "experts" kept trying to fool everyone. I kept reading articles that it wasn't panic buying so much as it was new shooters, especially womenfolk, flocking to gun ownership. There was a huge surge of concern about civil unrest and terrorism creating gun interest where there had been none before. I think that one study that was talking about "super" gun owners that owned many dozens of guns was the real indicator of who was buying. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there was some basis for the talk about new gun owners and more women, but that didn't account for the crowds I was seeing at Midwest every Saturday. Those were mostly gun hoarders...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I did my part to help out today.... coworker getting into guns and shooting and wanted me to go with him to the shop to look over a gun and see if it would be a good buy. He got the gun, ear pro, safe, I think some ammo... so I helped, and with someone else's $. :)

shop wouldn't give me commission. :(

-rvb

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The industry "experts" kept trying to fool everyone. I kept reading articles that it wasn't panic buying so much as it was new shooters, especially womenfolk, flocking to gun ownership. There was a huge surge of concern about civil unrest and terrorism creating gun interest where there had been none before. I think that one study that was talking about "super" gun owners that owned many dozens of guns was the real indicator of who was buying. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there was some basis for the talk about new gun owners and more women, but that didn't account for the crowds I was seeing at Midwest every Saturday. Those were mostly gun hoarders...

I'd be curious to see the break down for how sales have changed. I'd suspect to see a large drop in AR sales and small drops in hunting rifles/shotguns/pistols.

I don't doubt the hoarders had a large influence on things, but I wonder what they were really buying. Were they buying up things that would they thought would be illagel by now or were they buying bits of everything. Simarly, I don't doubt that new shooters influenced the year, but to what extent and in which products? My suspicion would be that new shooters would be influencing the pistol market the most, which may not have been as targeted by politicians (or fear mongered with) as the ARs.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Old guns still going up, I think people who buy those must have more money than they did last year.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm sure sales have fallen since this time last year. That was also a record year... We were two months away from freedom vs. oppression.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Makes complete sense to me. I know I was buying a lot more this time last year, just because I felt if I didn't get it now I wouldn't get it.

That's why gun companies LOVE Democrats. They're able to convince you to buy now, or you might not ever get another chance. Been like that for years.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's why gun companies LOVE Democrats. They're able to convince you to buy now, or you might not ever get another chance. Been like that for years.

Yet, this is the time to "buy 'em cheap and stock 'em deep", as one of our own legal eagles likes to put it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yet, this is the time to "buy 'em cheap and stock 'em deep", as one of our own legal eagles likes to put it.

Buy! Buy! Buy!

trading+places+2.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have seen the folks in California commenting about buying all they could earlier in the year before some law took effect. The stores around here seem to be way down from what I am hearing.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm a user, not a collector. I've got what I want in firearms and am satisfied with them. I'm tempted to acquire a rifle, but getting to a range to shoot is more distance than I want to travel. I'm more a handgun and shotgun user. Don't see much utility in one as I'm not a large game hunter. Mostly into adding an accessory here or there, and buying ammunition to shoot in what I've got.

If any of the manufacturers made a rifle legal for civilians to own that could shoot down a DPRK missile, I'd buy one and the ammunition for it in a heartbeat. They'd sell many millions of them and billions of rounds of ammo for them.

John

Top Bottom