Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I just passed that link along for the no/low interest loans...
    Thanks for that by the way!

--------

I don't much care about the wall, one way or the other...
    Net southern border immigration is reducing, people are going the other way.

This 'Fearless Leader' fed on fear mongering and won, his opponent was busy moving US wealth to Europe & the Middle East.
    People had to vote for what they *Thought* was the lesser of two evils.
    It wasn't going to go well for any common man either way...

Either way, I will pay more taxes, either to debate crap endlessly, or to get something fairly pointless done.
    Another bridge to nowhere, another 'clean coal' money suck, another 'No Bid' contract, another boondoggle...
    I'll just pay taxes and move on with my life, and hope they don't take any particular interest in me.

There will always be 'Government', there are too many people not to have some form of government.
    Tribes have chiefs, vigilante groups have organizers, towns have mayors, households have heads...

Anti-Government groups have mini-governments internally, usually a para-military rank structure, which I think is so funny they don't realize it!
    *IF* this government fails in my lifetime, I'm hoping the next (and there WILL be a 'Next') government doesn't decide they have a bone to pick with me...
    I just hope it's not Indiana NAZIs, I HATE Indiana NAZIs. :(

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Won’t they all get backed paid when the government reopens? Shows the dangers of not saving and living paycheck to paycheck. I know some can’t help it and not trying to sound crass, but just shows the importance of saving.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Yet. . .
    No.
    You know of $5.7 Billion ransom demand...
    Outgoing Republican controlled Congress approved $1.5 billion for CBP to use for increased border protection, but Trump wants $5.7 Billion or nothing...
    So he shut the government down...

The truth is, that's a one year-$5.7 billion demand, the end cost will be at the VERY LEAST $22 Billion because that's Halliburton's bid to get started and no one else was even considered.

500 to 600 feet of 1/2" thick steel, 40' long already used all over the world for dams, sea walls, and to hold up mountain sides all over the world costs roughly $1 million installed. 500' to 600' depending on price of steel.
    Irving materials quoted this and the bid wasn't considered.
    530' long retaining wall installed on Oak Island cost $1 million, and the materials had to be trucked into a very difficult place, Oak Island isn't exactly on the beaten path...

That's 20' underground, 20' above ground INSTALLED!
    5,280 feet in a mile, at $1 million for 500 feet, that's $10.56 million a mile (before volume discount).
    How much wall can you hammer in the ground in ONE YEAR, with $1.5 Billion?...
    The logistics alone are mind boggling!

There is a reason I don't debate this with people, anyone that screams 'Build The Wall' has no idea what that will take, and you can't have a debate with someone that doesn't understand the scope or scale of the project.

This 'Fearless Leader' fed on fear mongering and won, his opponent was busy moving US wealth to Europe & the Middle East.

Either way, I will pay more taxes, either to debate crap endlessly, or to get something fairly pointless done.
    Another bridge to nowhere, another 'clean coal' money suck, another 'No Bid' contract, another boondoggle...
    I'll just pay taxes and move on with my life, and hope they don't take any particular interest in me.

There will always be 'Government', there are too many people not to have some form of government.
    Tribes have chiefs, vigilante groups have organizers, towns have mayors, households have heads...

Anti-Government groups have mini-governments internally, usually a para-military rank structure, which I think is so funny they don't realize it!
    *IF* this government fails in my lifetime, I'm hoping the next (and there WILL be a 'Next') government doesn't decide they have a bone to pick with me...
    Again, what is your solution, or what are you advocating for?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You are deluded if you think that the failure of the United States government will result in anything good for our nation as a whole.

You wouldn't be dancing long.

I have more faith and confidence in the States and the citizens of the States than I do the bloated, confiscatory, out of control federal government.

Let it fade to into the mist....good riddance.

“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”

- Bastiat

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I can't say. I've been in bed with the covers over my head since the shutdown. I'm paralyzed with fear.

They keep saying "non-essential" but I don't think they know what that word means. Why do we employ anyone that is not essential?
    i cant find my old post on this so ill give you a short summary.
    lets us the VA as an example.
    the VA mission is to treat veterans of medical issues.
    so for that you need at least 1 doctor and lets give that doc 1 nurse to also help him out. im sure you would agree just those 2 are needed to treat vets right? ok so they are essential as only a doc or nurse can treat the veteran.

so we open up the clinic with the doc and nurse and all is good and 1 month later they are treating veterans and doing ok.

execpt they are running low on baid aids, medicine, the clinic bathroom has not been cleaned, and the ceiling light is out as well.l maybe due to a leak in roof.

so how should all this get fixed?

well we can hire a purchasing guy to get them supplies.
    qwe can hire janitor to clean the bathroom
    we can hire an gacility person to deal with the building.

however NONE of these folks hwlp treat a veteran right? nope so these folks are non-essential for the va mission but are support staff that you need to operate the VA.

you could hire contractors to do this or you can hire .gov workers to do this but you need to hire someone cause the doc can not do it nor does he have time to do it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just passed that link along for the no/low interest loans...
    Thanks for that by the way!

--------

We all hate nazis, no matter where they are from. That's why I dont vote for Democrats. Their party is as close to nazis as you can get.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    same concept for an army.
    when one thinks of army we think of that front line solider with a rifle and in a trench or a machine gun squad. yup that is the army.

but those guys need to be feed, housed, cloth, trained, taken to/from battle, treated or wounds or worse burried.

all that occurs with support staff.
    cooks, logiatics peoplw who buy ammo, gas, etc..

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sorry i never understood what the big deal is, they are nonessential personal right. And not to mention they will get their back pay. So itÂ’s like they get a paid vacation not like us in the private sector if we get sent home that money is lost, personally I would like to see all of the politicians get sent home with no pay. How is it right that congress gets to set their own pay and when they get a raise, makes no sense. Our founding fathers never intended for congress to be a federal employee , they said any compensation to the members of Congress should come from the district or state that sent them. So they would have someone to answer to, like the rest of us.
    Not so
    Government Shutdown 2019: Federal Contractors Won't Receive Back Pay | Money

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I dont want to see any person screwed out of their wages especialy when its the government doing the screwing. The same govt that always gets their cut and doesn't give a damn if you have it or not. The same govt that wastes so much money it would be fired if it were a private companies bookkeeper.

The same govt who passes laws to make its theft of our property both real and intellectual, legal but calls others who do it criminals.

So yeah, I sympathize with REAL American workers who are affected by this. However, I thank them for taking one for Team America in order to make our entire country more safe and secure. They are sacrificing right now for us. For the Republic

Because we have idiots in Congress who for decades have passed off their duties and refused to act. Now, instead of kicking the can down the road on his watch President Trump has said enough is enough Congress. DO YOUR DAMN JOB AND SECURE THIS COUNTRY AND BORDER. He is using his constitutionaly granted power to make it happen. To make Congress work. I hope he continues to hold strong. He IS doing the right thing for America. And I am grateful to the Americans who ARE sacrificing.

And guess what? Republicans have failed too in the past. But Democrats have been failing to work with Republicans for the past 2 years and holding our government hostage. And now they are allowing good Americans to suffer because of one simple reason .... they do not want to hand this president a victory by letting him secure the border like he promised America he would do. Dems do not care one damn bit about veterans and American government employees who are hurting. They only care about exploiting their pain for a soundbite on the news and the same goes for the media. They are one in the same. Evil evil evil. Traitors to this sacred Republic. Shame shame shame on all of them. And shame on any Republican who hasnt or doesnt stand beside this president, their party leader. It is anarchy. This government will surely fail and I mean completely if we allow Congress and the media to continue down this path. The media only exists now to usurp the President of the United States. The leader of the free world is being attacked from within his own country by false Americans.

The biggest issue in the 2016 election besides the economy was securing the border and getting rid of illegals. The demoCRAPs and RepubliCANTs that stand in the way of this are betraying their oaths.

How many complaining or who support this president, have written letters or emails or made phone calls to your congressional representation? How many? Dont openly answer, you know the answer yourselves. You cant lie to yourselves.
    Also call the white house and email too and let this President know you stand behind him. He IS fighting for our Nation. I believe it with all of my heart and soul. I've given as much as I can give besides my last breath to this Republic and if called upon again I would do it again even if it meant giving my life. I love this country and what it stands for and offers my children and their future children. We must preserve it. It is precious and If we lose it we will never have it back or if we do it will take a long long time to get it back. We ARE at a critical crossroad my friends. History will look back and judge us for our actions or inactions right now!! So ACT! Write a damned letter or make a phone call. Fight for freedom now peacefully or else if the time comes to truly fight for your freedom you will be a coward because in the time of peace you took no action. Stand up and be a citizen and do something for the Republic that has given you and your ancestors everything.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    ...For those that missed, or more likely ignored the posts above...
    They BOTH work under Homeland, from two paychecks to none.
    They are both prevented from having second jobs,
    In an 'Emergency' both are working double, and sometimes triple shifts,
    Depending on the rotation for paycheck issues, and both being under Homeland, the missed one paycheck because the shutdown hit just before their checks were issued, a second two weeks later, so they are on the way to missing a third, and that's BOTH of them.

He still works at the Coast Guard river port, while she is getting shuffled around to cover for people that 'Sick Out', and her travel expenses & time aren't paid no matter if the government decides to pay them or not.
    It's a big hit when you have to drive from Evansville to Indianapolis to work because you are ORDERED to...

My military disability check is late, it's a good thing I don't depend on it exclusively!

You seem to have missed my post above, and addressed the logistics of building the wall. Ok, fine.

I'll say it more bluntly: Your grand niece and her husband CHOSE, with their own free will, to put themselves in the position they are now in. Government shutdowns are NOT a new thing. Not by a long-shot!
    Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-ended/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.47ee4380e844

They chose to work for the federal government.

They chose to NOT save 3 - 6 monthes of bills for emergencies.

They chose to NOT call their landlord or lendors to discuss options weeks in advance, knowing that cashflow could soon be a problem.

They continue to CHOOSE to stay where they are when other options may be available. (Caveat: I know he may be locked in if CG is military, but she is not.)

Suggestion #1: She begins looking into a career in LE immediately, and not with the federal government.

Suggestion #2: No matter what careers they choose to follow, once they start getting paychecks they IMMEDIATELY put back three (3) monthes of bills in savings, as soon as possible!

Again, I don't want to be mean or callous as I said in my first post, but individual responsibility does come into play. It sounds like your grand-niece is very bright and on a good path, but the employer she works for has issues. She should look for more stable and lucrative work elsewhere. They both sound like great folks who are serving their country, but you don't have to be in the military to serve others. Paramedics, LE, firemen, even private security all help folks. To quote Charles Grodin in Dave, "Get out as fast as you can!"

Regards,

Doug

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I doubt the Hell that is the federal government will simply shut down and walk away.

To those working for it, fear not.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

there are 3 type of workers that are affected by a .gov shutdown.

.gov ESSENTIAL worker who MUST work during the shutdown. think border protral agent, usss agent, va doc.

#2 .gov NON essential worker who is furlough and does not go to work during a shut down. think IT guy at the VA.

#3 .gov CONTRACTOR who does not go to work either. think janitor who the VA has a contract with InGO Cleaners to clean the VA clinic.

#1 and #2 its 99.99% certain will get back pay when .gov reopened. since 1978 when the .gov has been doing modern shutdowns congress has passed a resolutiin each time to backpay these workers.

#3 is not a .gov employee. they are under a contrcat to do work for .gov. since the VA in example above is not gettung cleaned we will not pay them as no service was preformed.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

You seem to have missed my post above, and addressed the logistics of building the wall. Ok, fine.

I'll say it more bluntly: Your grand niece and her husband CHOSE, with their own free will, to put themselves in the position they are now in. Government shutdowns are NOT a new thing. Not by a long-shot!
    Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-ended/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.47ee4380e844

They chose to work for the federal government.

They chose to NOT save 3 - 6 monthes of bills for emergencies.

They chose to NOT call their landlord or lendors to discuss options weeks in advance, knowing that cashflow could soon be a problem.

They continue to CHOOSE to stay where they are when other options may be available. (Caveat: I know he may be locked in if CG is military, but she is not.)

Suggestion #1: She begins looking into a career in LE immediately, and not with the federal government.

Suggestion #2: No matter what careers they choose to follow, once they start getting paychecks they IMMEDIATELY put back three (3) monthes of bills in savings, as soon as possible!

Again, I don't want to be mean or callous as I said in my first post, but individual responsibility does come into play. It sounds like your grand-niece is very bright and on a good path, but the employer she works for has issues. She should look for more stable and lucrative work elsewhere. They both sound like great folks who are serving their country, but you don't have to be in the military to serve others. Paramedics, LE, firemen, even private security all help folks. To quote Charles Grodin in Dave, "Get out as fast as you can!"

Regards,

Doug

^this...
    remove .gov from the equation and this applys to all of us.
    if ford motor company lays off its workforce tomorrow some of those employees will leave and find work elsewhere.

you can NOT depend on any company to pay you always.
    have emergency savings, be prepared to leave if needed and make sure you have skills that will allow you to NOT depend on your employer.

plus this is not the first shutdown and .gov workers knew it was coming. the unions has been telling them. news outlets as well.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I truly feel bad for those affected by the shutdown. They chose, sure. They should have prepared, sure. But life happens and things are not always equal, tough decisions are made. I feel bad for those who get laid off as well. I certainly won't sit here and presume to know the circumstances by which these people found themselves, life is too complicated for that.

Top Bottom