Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, don't work, yet still get paid. That seems like efficient use of tax dollars.

Yeah, sweet gig, huh?

Salaries of members of the United States Congress

PositionSalary
    Senators and House Representatives$174,000
    Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico$174,000
    President pro tempore of the Senate$193,400
    Majority leader and minority leader of the Senate$193,400

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah, sweet gig, huh?

Salaries of members of the United States Congress

PositionSalary
    Senators and House Representatives$174,000
    Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico$174,000
    President pro tempore of the Senate$193,400
    Majority leader and minority leader of the Senate$193,400
    Honestly, those salaries are not that much for the DC area.

Yet most of them retire worth millions.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Honestly, those salaries are not that much for the DC area.

Yet most of them retire worth millions.

And they work what? 4 or 5 months out of the year? With the rest spent campaigning? And yes, with lobby money, those salaries are but a pittance to them. Besides, aren't they technically supposed to have their permanent residence in the state that they represent? Maybe their salaries should be more in line with local standards (for people that only work part time). Liberals are all for a $15/hour minimum wage. I'd be okay with that for our representatives.

It's kinda like that old joke... I wish I could buy them for what they're worth, and sell them for what they think they're worth.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do you mean GOP members of the Senate that would try to stymie the POTUS?

I think part of that is because the last election run included Trump helping get some of them elected. Even if they think Trump is evil, they know their constituents favor Trump, at least a little.

The more established senators are probably willing to let this play out. Then next senate cycle is kinda the obverse of this past one: a bunch of GOP seats are up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_Senate_elections

22 Republicans to 12 Dems.

Not many of them are willing to go too far out on any limb that might get cut off behind them.

I'm not sure that a higher number of senate Republican seats up in 2020 is as bad as it sounds, Lex

If you look at a map of the seats up for re-election, many are Republican held in states that Trump won in 2016, friendly territory

View attachment 73795

Now look at a 2016 electoral college map

View attachment 73796

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    So, don't work, yet still get paid. That seems like efficient use of tax dollars.

If I was a furloughed contract employee that won't get back pay I would be pissed about the non-essential workers getting a paid vacation. If I was an essential employee that has been working through the whole shut down I would be furious about the non-essentials getting paid.
    As a tax payer I think there should be a review of the policy of back pay for non-essentials.

Awan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2015
    Boone County
    I am a federal employee and my furlough started December 30th (my Agency had funds to pay us for an additional week). So, my last pay statement was for 1 week of work. We have been financially astute, so going with out pay for a few months will not be a problem. The greatest issue is the health care - being in non-pay status for over 30 days affects the coverage. As for the previous posters opining about federal employee back pay, opinions are like anuses, everyone has one.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am a federal employee and my furlough started December 30th (my Agency had funds to pay us for an additional week). So, my last pay statement was for 1 week of work. We have been financially astute, so going with out pay for a few months will not be a problem. The greatest issue is the health care - being in non-pay status for over 30 days affects the coverage. As for the previous posters opining about federal employee back pay, opinions are like anuses, everyone has one.
    Medical coverage? Who needs that? I mean since you CHOSE to work for the gov you CHOSE all of this to happen to you...(sarcasm)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, I'm wondering if any Federal worker's unions are doing anything for them?
    I've been through contract negotiations, laid off, medical leave, and such.
    My union got information out, talked about assistance programs at different levels, and such.

I'm not trying to be "smart", "funny", "condescending", or whatever. Just wondering.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    trump does not care about the wall. silly you!

trump cares about 2 things.
    making money for him
    his popularity

if ya want to defeat trump a 100% media ignore him would kill him. imagine tomorrow now news channel talks about him, congress keeps debating without talking to him or about him. he would die. he lives for being in the spotlight be it by saying vulgar things, doing crazy things or keeping the .gov closed.

but back to the topic. his base loves what he is doing. and since the irs is going to issue refunds but not do audits his base is safe. plus ssa benefits are being paid so again the seniors are ok with this shutdown.

the ones really affected are democrat supports. .gov union workers, welfare people who snap is about to stop as well.

SNAP benefits for February are sposed to be paid out early. Cause SNAP users are good at budgeting

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Unions are there to offer the illusion of choice. They will get their money when the members get the back pay and give some of it back to the Democrats

Maybe
    But as I said, my union gives out information about various programs, meets with local governments and businesses. Etc. They actually do something.
    So I'm wondering if the Federal workers are getting anything from their union.... besides the Pres. is a "bad evil man".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah....good luck with that. I hope the lawyers took it on an hourly basis, not contingency.

I don't. I hope everyone working on this goes bankrupt, destitute, out of business...especially including the union. I know, wishful thinking...sort of like hoping that for every single ambulance chaser flooding the airwaves and buying billboards saying CALL ME AND SUE YOUR NEIGHBOR. A pestilence of pettifoggers.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't. I hope everyone working on this goes bankrupt, destitute, out of business...especially including the union. I know, wishful thinking...sort of like hoping that for every single ambulance chaser flooding the airwaves and buying billboards saying CALL ME AND SUE YOUR NEIGHBOR. A pestilence of pettifoggers.

if u fund my deathstar i can help with your hopeful though. ;)

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    We had CWA and they are worthless.
    If the furloughed workers get back pay ( may be a negotiating point with Trump) then, the people that worked should at least get their pay Federal tax free

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We had CWA and they are worthless.
    If the furloughed workers get back pay ( may be a negotiating point with Trump) then, the people that worked should at least get their pay Federal tax free

All "public" employees should be paid free of income tax.

As it stands, the burden on taxpayers' income is increased by taxes imposed to cover the income tax on the compensation paid the public employee.

For example: Joe Q. Public Employee is paid compensation of $100 funded by American taxpayer. Joe Q. Public pays income tax of $25 on that compensation (for illustrative purposes) and takes home $75.

Pay Joe Q. Public Employee $75 and leave more money in the hands of the American taxpayer who are actually funding the cost.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom