Is the money you spend on a SIG worth it?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Like BBI I prefer a metal DA/SA firearm. Last summer after quite a bit of shopping around I bought a very gently used P229 (short overhang) on gunbroker for $700. It was 357sig not 9mm but also came with a mint 40 barrel and I tend to shoot 40 the most out of it. It shoots either caliber reliably including hollow points and even corbon powerballs. It is certainly reliable enough to carry but I don't, primarily because I standardized to just one of two carry weapons depending on situation. I would have to say the extra money spent on a sig is a rational investment.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    As for striker-fired polymer, my P320 is absolutely worth the price, being comparable in price to Glock and a superior weapon, IMO.

:popcorn:

(and I NEVER use that emoticon)

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    "Is the money you spend on a SIG worth it?!?" NO! Had an Elite 220. Great firearm. Very accurate and never any issues. Also had a PO 7 9mm. The same, accurate and never any issues. Just like Colts and Kimbers. They are very good guns, but IMO way overpriced. And yes, I have had both of those as well. You want the truth? The HiPoint JHP .45 I had was just as accurate and reliable as the Sig 220. And it cost $180. I wouldnt want to carry it, but for everything else it was fine. My opinion only, based on having owned and fired all of the above.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    "Is the money you spend on a SIG worth it?!?" NO! Had an Elite 220. Great firearm. Very accurate and never any issues. Also had a PO 7 9mm. The same, accurate and never any issues. Just like Colts and Kimbers. They are very good guns, but IMO way overpriced. And yes, I have had both of those as well. You want the truth? The HiPoint JHP .45 I had was just as accurate and reliable as the Sig 220. And it cost $180. I wouldnt want to carry it, but for everything else it was fine. My opinion only, based own having owned and fired all of the above.

:rofl:

You are something else, guy.

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I traded a gun and paid 250 out of pocket for my 228, I'd definitely say it was money well spent. I will admit that the prices on some of their guns brand new seems a bit up there, but I generally buy used.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    IMHO, yes they are. I only have a P220 and it's an excellent gun. Feels great in my hand and shoots where I aim it. I also like the craftsmanship in it. Sig takes the extra step on fit and finish if you ask me.:twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What type of grease do use on the Sig rails, name please

TW25B. I like the kind that comes in the syringe. It makes it really easy to place it where you want it without making a mess.

would you guys use a sig as an EDC? im sure you can notice the extra weight with it being a full metal frame...?

I do carry a Sig as an EDC, although occasionally I'll carry a revolver. I've never been bothered by the extra weight. It just means you need to think a bit more about holster and belt selection. That doesn't mean it has to be expensive, just that it has to be well designed. A Blade-tech IWB and a bio-belt work just fine, and neither are very pricey.

I carry a P226 or P229 most of the time, these days. This is primarily a function of my employer providing me with .40 ammo. When I have to supply my own ammo, I tend to carry the P220. For out of town trips or when concealment is more of a concern, the P245. That said, you could do nearly everything well with a P229 or P245/P220 Compact (the replacement for the P245).

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    "Is the money you spend on a SIG worth it?!?" NO! Had an Elite 220. Great firearm. Very accurate and never any issues. Also had a PO 7 9mm. The same, accurate and never any issues. Just like Colts and Kimbers. They are very good guns, but IMO way overpriced. And yes, I have had both of those as well. You want the truth? The HiPoint JHP .45 I had was just as accurate and reliable as the Sig 220. And it cost $180. I wouldnt want to carry it, but for everything else it was fine. My opinion only, based on having owned and fired all of the above.

Think about how much more time and money goes into the Colts and Sigs over the HiPoints though, and you said it yourself you would not want to carry the HiPoint that is for sure.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Think about how much more time and money goes into the Colts and Sigs over the HiPoints though, and you said it yourself you would not want to carry the HiPoint that is for sure.

If the only thing you care about is going to the range and turning .45 ammo in to smoke and noise, then the Hi-Point may very well be the most cost effective way to do that. Now, if you want a handgun with better ergonomics, that won't slip around in your hand when you're sweaty or bloody, etc. then the Sig (or Glock, or what-have-you) starts becoming the clear winner despite the extra cost.

There's also a metric butt ton of pistol shooters who probably are just as accurate with a hi-point as they'd be with a custom Nighthawk and then declare the accuracy of the two to be the same. In their hands, they are. In someone else's hands, the better tolerances, better sights, better ergonomics, etc. will likely come into play.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    TW25B. I like the kind that comes in the syringe. It makes it really easy to place it where you want it without making a mess.

I also use TW25B grease on my Sigs. Every new Sig I've bought has included a sample packet of TW25B, so Sig is on board with this.

Instructions from Sig's grease vendor:
    https://www.mil-comm.com/previous/images/stories/pdfs/sig-sauer-maintenance-instructions.pdf

It also comes in small kits so you can try it without buying large amounts to start with:
    TW25B® Lubricating Light Gun Grease : NRA Gun Care 3-Piece Kit - nraguncare

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The three Sigs our family carry work flawlessly. For a novice buyer spending the extra money got us guns that worked and fit our needs. Yes, I could have done tons of research to find equal performing weapons but it would have taken a bit of trial and error. For instance I could have taken the extra effort to find and buy then pay to have night sights installed on another gun. Plus my wife liked how it fit her hand and how nice it looked. So bang for the buck Sigs may not be the cheapest but I can rely on ours to go bang when we need them to.

Top Bottom