Is the money you spend on a SIG worth it?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    LOVE my sigs. They are worth it to me. I guess that's all that matters. If someone would like to donate to my next purchase, i'll take their opinion into account;)

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    you could get it cerakoted to whatever color/pattern you want just have to pay for it. Also sig offers a tan finish on their scorpion models But I don't own one so im not sure if that finish scratches as easily as the nitron. Some models also come in a stainless configuration if you like stainless guns that might be a good option as well, a bit pricier though if I remember right.

Is it normal for the top of the barrel on sigs to loose their finish? THe top of mine is bright silver versus the black finish that the rest of it has.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The nitron finish is fine. When I first got one I thought it showed every little mark. Then I wiped it down with a little oil and a silicon impregnated cloth. It looks like new afterward. My P220 has thousands of draw strokes from dry fire practice and range trips from both kydex and leather and it looks like new.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    P229 or P239

This. P229 if you value round count more. P239 if you value concealability more.

The P229 was designed as a .40, and is one of the most comfortable .40 handguns I've shot. I own a 9mm and a .40, and they are very similar. The 9mm has less recoil and is slightly easier to track the front sight, but the .40 isn't difficult at all. If I were going P239, I'd probably stay with 9mm.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The local S.O. has Sigs for duty issue in 9mm. They have had zero problems with them and they shoot fine. One of the guys I know shoots his weekly (free ammo supply). He loves it and would shoot matches if he had the spare time.
    I used to have a Sig P22 for duty and it ran great. I trusted my life with it and the people of the State of Indiana.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't have a Sig yet. I sold two guns and I am considering buying a 226. I will buy used if I buy one and find a fair deal. I have seen many nice ones selling for around $700. That is more than most striker-fired pistols, but in line with other quality pistols.

I am just not a fan of the striker fired design even though I still have a Shield for carry purposes. I sold my FS M&P so I don't own any "high" capacity pistols right now.

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on one soon. In more ways than one!:)

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I forgot to mention there was 1 Sig I hated which wasn't mine.It was the P250 compact 9mm. That was a horrible gun to shoot.

wva3470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have carried several different Sigs over the past 25 years. Started with 226 9mm, went to 220 in 45, 226 in 40, now the 320 in 9. As issued off duty guns, sig 230, 232, and 250 subcompact. I've shot them, a lot, over the years in both training and competitions. Usually bought the same model to shoot extra with.
    So, I would say they are worth every penny. That's my .02.
    Bill

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Is it normal for the top of the barrel on sigs to loose their finish? THe top of mine is bright silver versus the black finish that the rest of it has.

I have not shot mine enough to have that happen to me but I've seen it on many sigs. Probably occurs with high round count I would guess as should be expected. Just adds character in my opinion.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The nitron finish is fine. When I first got one I thought it showed every little mark. Then I wiped it down with a little oil and a silicon impregnated cloth. It looks like new afterward. My P220 has thousands of draw strokes from dry fire practice and range trips from both kydex and leather and it looks like new.

QFT... My P320's Nitron slide still looks great after about a year and a half. The stuff is damn near indestructible. Even looked new in the dovetails when I changed the sights and no holster wear at all.

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have not shot mine enough to have that happen to me but I've seen it on many sigs. Probably occurs with high round count I would guess as should be expected. Just adds character in my opinion.

I did get mine used, so I assume its probably the case. Looked at pictures of other sigs online and it seems normal. Hoping that a bit of lubricant will slow anymore wear. (the guns was dry as a rock when I bought it.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I did get mine used, so I assume its probably the case. Looked at pictures of other sigs online and it seems normal. Hoping that a bit of lubricant will slow anymore wear. (the guns was dry as a rock when I bought it.)

It's no big deal unless your fingernail can catch it. The finish will wear, but the metal should not. It's often referred to as a 'barrel smiley' as it sort of looks like an elongated smiley face smile.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I've got 8 Sigs of variety in different flavors and sizes. I'm more drawn to older Sigs produced in Germany(just me). I prefer the stamped slides since they are a little lighter(a la 228/226/245/225/220), but I do own milled slide Sigs as well. I got to handle a State Trooper's 224 SAS BUG yesterday and I must say I liked the feel and looks of it. I hated the new long extractor on it though. Just keep your Sig well lubed(steel and alloy framed) and it will last you a lifetime.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The Nitron finish hasn't been real resilient in my experience but the wear doesn't hurt anything. My P229 has finish wear on the slide but she shoots great! I think they are worth the $$$, Sig's are built nicely and hold their value pretty well.

Top Bottom