Is the Sig P365 ready to bet your life on it for EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If he's just referring to the trigger bar safety not resetting on early release 2013 shields.....that was 6 years ago and S&W did a good job with the recall. Post recall and fixed handguns function and are proven reliable at this point. They do not have glaring design flaws and S&W hasn't cut corners on sourcing (unlike Sig). Anyway, a trigger bar safety failure still allows the handgun to function. It would still require the trigger to be pulled to fire, so it's not totally unsafe as long as you aren't a moron.

The P365 on the other hand is a poorly designed handgun that Sig decided to further FUBAR by cost cutting on sourcing of parts. They have a bad design that causes a lot of striker drag, and then they use Indian MIM strikers on top of that. They aren't adequately fixing the problem. And if this failure mode happens and you actually need to rely on your handgun.....well, it's not going to go bang when you need it to. That's a MUCH worse failure mode than what S&W Shields had.

Sig is a garbage company ever since Ron Cohen took the helm. They produce junk. They knowingly cut corners in R&D as well as material and sourcing.

Sig seems to have passed military trials for the new service handgun, while S&W wasn't even an afterthought.
    Probably because they didn't have handgun design experts with internet firearm engineering degrees to help them out.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    Have had mine for a while now, well over 1000 rounds with zero issues. I am seeing some striker drag, though not very pronounced. I trust this weapon as much as any Kimber, Colt or Smith in my collection.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have shot my P365 enough to considerate it good to go. No failures. My only concern is I was under the impression that the barrel ping/burrs were a thing of the past. On both sides of the barrel, at the very bottom corners of where they beveled it to fix the problem in the originals I have small pings or burrs from hitting the front of the slide. They are probably about 1 mm in diameter. Could this cause problems in the future with reliability? Or is it just cosmetic? Should I send it back to Sig?

Peening appears to be the correct term.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have shot my P365 enough to considerate it good to go. No failures. My only concern is I was under the impression that the barrel ping/burrs were a thing of the past. On both sides of the barrel, at the very bottom corners of where they beveled it to fix the problem in the originals I have small pings or burrs from hitting the front of the slide. They are probably about 1 mm in diameter. Could this cause problems in the future with reliability? Or is it just cosmetic? Should I send it back to Sig?

Peening appears to be the correct term.

Update.
    I called Sig this morning. Customer Service was great. They gave me the option to send it in today, or anytime later if I deemed it necessary. I spoke to Adam Hayden. He believes the peening is due to the tight tolerances, and that once wore in properly it would stop. I chose to shoot it some more and decide later what to do with it. At this point I really like the little pistol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sig seems to have passed military trials for the new service handgun....

...while continuing to sell a version of the gun they knew wasn't drop safe to the civilian market which also did not fare well in the FBI testing nor that of several large PD's. There have been at least 3 LEOs and one military member (prior to the official acceptance when the 'civilian version' was the only version) shot by dropped HOLSTERED P320s. Sig knew about the issue before at least 2 of the LEOs were shot by their own gun.

Glock can be shady and I know for a fact they purposefully conduct misinformation campaigns, and I don't know if S&W ever took responsibility for the gen 1 M&P 9mms that were horribly inaccurate. You don't have to be an "internet firearms engineer" to open your eyes and see that many current production guns are built to a price point, not a quality point. Even a casual glance should tell you that you are rolling the dice to buy a newly introduced pistol from any manufacturer.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dang, within a couple of months after buying my new F-150, I got notice that there are two recalls. The F-150 is the best selling vehicle in America for over 30 years. I still think that overall it is a great ride. My P 365 is reliable, easy to shoot. I really like the trigger and the magazine. Yeah, the proprietary rail is just another money maker for Sig, but nothing's perfect.

Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    I've only heard good things about the newer generations. I have seen some of the older gens floating around unsold at gunshops though so if you get a new one make sure its the newer generations. I've toyed around with getting one but haven't decided yet. I've kinda been leaning toward the Glock 43x just because it had a nice single stack feel to it.

Top Bottom