• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Daily IWB carrier of a M&P40c for over three years, love it with little to no plans of replacing my carry piece. For deeper concealment I will occasionally throw my wifes Mustang 380 in my pocket but that is in rare occasion.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Staying under $500 you can still get a Taurus 24/7 Pro. I carry a Gen 1 without difficulty. The Gen 2 has a better trigger and the Glock-style trigger safety in addition to the external safety. Excellent weapon for about $400.

If that is still too big, try the Taurus 709 Slim. Same safety and trigger as the 24/7. Half the price of a Sig, $200 less than a M&P. I have been carrying these Taurii for two years, and have put over 1,000 rounds through each one. They are reliable, accurate, and concealable. JMHO. Hope it helps.

BTW, both are available in .40SW, too.

24/7 PRO Compact fan here. Put a little over 300 rds through it now and it shoots flawlessly. Small, compact, holds a lot of rounds for a .45. Even though it's a super short barrel, it is fairly accurate at 10 yards. Even better at 5.

About the only thing I prefer more than it is a compact aluminum frame 1911....something like a Colt New Agent or Springfield Ultra Compact. But both of those are out of the $500 price range.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    No. The shield is the shiznizzle.

Just get it and be happy. Nothing else compares at the moment. Once Springfield puts out the xds in 40 and 9mm, there will be some competition.

And for the record, the shield is WAY smaller then the m&p9c. Specs don't do the size difference justice. I'm too small to carry the 9c without printing badly, but the shield works well for me.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Problem is obviously finding the shield. My wife wanted one but cant find one anywhere. I want the compact for myself but not sure if she would be happy with it. Id love to compare the compact with my g19 that ive carried since 2006. Went to buy it at Daves on xmas eve and it was gone. Was there the day before but I shoukd have known it wouldnt last.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Put your name on the backordered list at a few local shops. You'll have one in about a month (give or take). Thats how I had to go about getting mine. Super happy I did. It's great for ccw.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Also may want to consider (in no particular order))
    1. Kimber Aegis Ultra (9mm)
    VERY bad suggestion. A 1911 action (other than the EMP) is way too long for the 9mm cartridge, and it will never be a reliable enough gun for self-defense.

They are great shooters but they are not self defense guns.

Don't take my word for it, though, look up Hilton Yam's article on the same.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    According to OkieGirl, the answer is no. There is nothing better than the Shield for CCW (the OP's question to begin with).

Now, if we could get Don Hume to build an IWB holster. The quest would be complete.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I tried this a few times and never did get a call. Guess its who you know a lot of times.

Just keep checking in to make sure they know you're still waiting on it.

You can also try putting down some money so they know you have money down and are waiting. I paid in full and waited for about 6 weeks.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I'd like to get a shield myself. Others you could keep in mind include

Ruger LC9
    Kel Tec PF9
    Kahr PM9 ( I think they have a less expensive CM9 but don't quote me on the name of it)

If you want to stay compact but go to a double stack, you could go with

Smith and Wesson M&P9c
    Glock 26

I guess I am assuming you want to stay with 9mm but many of the above have either .380 or .40 counterparts. A small revolver can be a good choice too.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    There's also been quite a few shields popping up in the classifieds here and on armslist if you are really wanting to get one.

Goldbomb79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I've got an lc9 and don't mind the trigger once I fired a few rounds down range.

I liked my friends nano when I fired it, but no external safety that you're wanting.

One other option is the bodyguard 380, but it might be a smaller caliber than you're looking for.

downrise14

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    NWI
    Have a shield, love it, has a thumb safety.
    Had a LC9, hated it, worst trigger ever (for me).
    Have M&P Compact & love it as well, but Shield is by far most comfortable ccw. Great shooter, good trigger, highly recommend for ccw.

I hated the trigger on the lc9 too. Traded it in within 3 days of purchase.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The thickness difference is more than you would think. I have carried both and I can tell quite a difference carried IWB. I like both weapons but the Shield is definitely easier to conceal if you wear lighter clothing or tuck a shirt in.

7e4f34168760ef6fd91645ef2926a035.jpg

The Shield also has a considerably better trigger than the 9c. Unless you upgrade it with Apex parts.

I love everything about the Shield except the crappy front sight dot. Mine fell out within a week of owning it. Just painted it back in with some fluorescent glow paint and am waiting on better availability of replacement sight choices.

True, those fractions of an inch really help when you wear tight clothes. That is where the Shield shines. Good pic BTW. I always have an untucked shirt on when carrying my M&P9C, but if I had to tuck in it would print a little bit, whereas the Shield might not. But it is worth it to me to have more ammo and a full width grip, because I have big hands. Plus I mostly target shoot with the M&P9 full size, and also use those mags in my 9C.

I can't deal with "low cap" magazines, but if the laws require 10 or less I'd definitely switch to Shield. :D

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    If I can ever find one I will know. I have looked for this unicorn for a while, there is either a long list of prepaid customers, or none in stock. I did finally get to hold one and know I will buy one when it becomes available. I won't be paying over the standard $450 retail, I have plenty to carry until the backlog is cleared. Who knows, maybe someone like HK will come out with a better carry gun before I finally get one. I have seen a few come up at ridiculous prices with a claim like " purchased it for the wife, she shot it 5 times and doesn't like it, and don't complain about me offering it for double retail price. I can ask any price I want for it".

Top Bottom