• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    pushing a little flare for the neck of the 223 round for bullet to seat a little? I am having a lot of problem with my 55 gr bullet. But I had no problem with the 62 gr ones.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    No, I use the Speer reloading manual to put the depriming die on. It sized the neck fine for the 62 gr bullets. But too tight for the 55 gr. Not sure why it's that way. I hope the Forrest brand can work like the Dillion one. I am not going with the RBCS one anymore, the depriming pin kept breaking off.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    So---both of your bullets are .224 in diameter and I assume they both are boattails so shouldn't make a difference. If you chamfer the casemouth both will seat better.

Forrester sizing die will not flare the casmouth either---broken depriming pins sound like you are depriming military brass or are not getting the cases aligned properly in the shellholder.

Steve

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    .223 bullets are actually .224 diameter.... i think your bullet design changed and thats they problem.... you went from a 62 grn with a boat tail, to a 55 grain with a flat base didnt you?

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    cham that case mouth and hold the bullet as its goin into the die...once again i love lee dies i havent had one problem with them.......ive had more problems with that rcbs crap.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    As others have said, you should put enough chamfer on the inside of the case mouth that the bullet will just barel sit on it. Use your fingers to guide it up into the die and use a slow, smooth motion. You shouldn't have any problems.

I too went through this when I switched from 52gr. match HPBT's to 55gr. Hndy SP's w/ a flat base for plinking.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    .223 bullets are actually .224 diameter.... i think your bullet design changed and thats they problem.... you went from a 62 grn with a boat tail, to a 55 grain with a flat base didnt you?

Nope, the 62 gr is flat base as well. I will try with the charm die first.

Sam W, I tried that, but ended up damaged the case neck.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    no cham dies its a little cutting tool that puts just a tiny bevel on the inside of the case mouth allowing the bullet to......kind of rest on that surface......go out and but a different reloading book.....layman 49th eddition....IMO best book out there. worth the 22$ i paid for it

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Nothing wrong with once fired military. Save and sell it.

Some trimmers trim, chamfer and debur at the same time. IMO a must for large volumes.

Chamferring the case mouth guides the bullet as well as prevents any of the jacket from being shaved.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    I don't want to offend you, but if you don't know what chamfering and de-burring is, you should stop reloading and put some more knowledge under your belt before continuing.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    i agree with sam i dont wanna offend you but....do more research google is your friend knowledge will save you from injury in this case. Reloading isnt a joke you can really hurt yourself loose an eye etc.......

gunfun101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    I use the speer manual and it explains chamfering the i.d. and deburring the o.d. just like any reloading manual. Also make sure ur cases are lubed good when resizing and depriming. I use all rcbs equipment and never had any kind of problem.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Over-lubing OR getting lube on the case shoulder will cause this. It's not fundamentally bad, as it will 'pop' out when you fire, but is hard on brass and could slightly up pressures.

Top Bottom