• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    Need advice on a grease gun that will actually work. The last few I bought were better as paper weights. Most of them only managed a few squirts of grease for each new tube of grease. And some, the actual act of inserting a new tube of grease in them was well.... Like trying to hold and eat a soup sandwich. What brands/models do you recommend. Not looking for anything high end just need one to lube the utility trailer and a few parts on the car every now and then. Smaller would be better.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Interested in this as well, the last few I've bought, or have been supplied with at work, have been less than single use capable. One actually fell apart (the plunger) as I was taking it out of the box. I have an old one, maybe 40 years old, that has no name or identifying marks on it at all, but works flawlessly.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    This one:

imagejpg1_zps9fee55a5.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Mine have all worked great as long as you don't expect more than about 5% of your grease to actually go where you need it.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Depends how much greasing you have to do, but I purchased an air grease gun and although you need to use an air hose with it, it works great. I purchased a small air hose to go with it so I don't have to drag a large heavy one around while greasing equipment.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Once you go to a good powered grease gun you will never use a manual one again. I am on my 2nd pneumatic. The first was a cheapie from harbor freight. Every time it sat for a while I had to take it apart to get it working again. The 2nd is a Lincoln and it works every time. Its much easier to be able to hold the hose where you want it and pull the trigger than to try and pump, hold the grease gun, and hold the hose on the fitting. There are two types, continuous flow as long as you hold the trigger, and one shot for each pull of the trigger. For home use I recommend the one shot.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    "Lubrimatic" is the best you can buy, and they are cheap. I strongly recommend avoiding the pistol grip guns and getting an old fashioned lever greaser with a solid (not flexible hose) pipe. It should last you a lifetime. - Your friendly neighbourhood boat mechanic.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lincoln or Milton, not something designed to be sold at discount stores. Get them from WW Grainger or McMaster-Carr. They will cost 3 or 4 times more than the discount house ones, but you will only have to buy one for the rest of your life. Even the accessory hoses, couplers, swivels and specialized ends are far better quality, worth the money in the long run.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lincoln or Milton, not something designed to be sold at discount stores. Get them from WW Grainger or McMaster-Carr. They will cost 3 or 4 times more than the discount house ones, but you will only have to buy one for the rest of your life. Even the accessory hoses, couplers, swivels and specialized ends are far better quality, worth the money in the long run.

I have 2 Milton's.
    There is a techique to loading them and getting the plunger in the tube. It is not hard. Mine works flawlessly.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Lincoln #1134CLR with Lincoln 36in. hose, perfect and enough hose to reach anywhere, you get what you pay for...

Last edited:

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I like and agree with the statement that you get what you pay for and usually I go with that belief. I'm just having a hard time with it for want should be a cheap tool. Think I'll try the Lincoln's suggested and if I have any trouble I'll return and try something else. Updates to follow.
    Thanks again. INGO rocks.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I bought a Milwaukee 18 volt grease gun and never will go back to the hand pump ones. We use it all the time on the farm . Can grease the combine in no time flat. Also the battery interchange s with all the 18 volt tools

Top Bottom