• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Henryville
    Maybe this is just more of a rant but I am a bit bothered by this situation. I have an Oxbow safe and right now I can't get into it. I posted this on a couple other forums but I kind of hope there is someone local that can help me if needed.

Last night I put up a couple guns I had out to work on. Today I went to put away an AR I left out and grab my G27. Imagine my surprise when I was unable to get into the safe. At first I figured I entered my combo wrong but after a couple of attempts I was locked out. I was in a hurry so I just took the light of my M&P and carried it for the day. The AR went in my trunk and went to work with me.

When I got home I was still unable to get into the safe. I called Canon and they are sending me a new keypad, and electronics set. Apparently they are not communicating properly. This does however worry me. I am locked away from most of my firearms and a good portion of my loaded mags and ammo.

Hmmm Should I use this as an excuse to go buy another AR since I don't have access to a backup right now?

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    I've been programming for almost 30 years now, and I certainly don't want a computer between me and anything important. Just call Toyota and ask them how that electronic accelerator is working out.

kwelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Henryville
    I've been programming for almost 30 years now, and I certainly don't want a computer between me and anything important. Just call Toyota and ask them how that electronic accelerator is working out.
    Isn't the accelerator getting physically stuck?

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    No, that's what they thought at first, but from all the incidents they investigated, they determined physical sticking had nothing to do with them.

Corky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    Have you tried a new battery and\or unplugging the battery for a couple of minutes and plugging it back in?
    It's a shot in the dark, but it will give you something to do while waiting on the parts.

kwelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Henryville
    Yes. The battery is very new but I tried a fresh one anyway. Left it out for half a day and still nothing. I just need to wait on the new pad I guess.

Have you tried a new battery andor unplugging the battery for a couple of minutes and plugging it back in?
    It's a shot in the dark, but it will give you something to do while waiting on the parts.

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    If taking the battery out actually worked, you probably wouldn't want the safe anyway. But I'd recommend keeping the battery hooked up, so that you don't permanently lock yourself out.

No electricity is used to keep the safe locked, you only need electricity to toggle the locking mechanism. The actual code would be stored in "non-volatile" memory on a chip inside the safe and would trigger an unlock only when the correct code is received. But one thing to know about non-volatile memory is that it's volatile. Without electricity hooked up to refresh the code occasionally, your safe could forget your code.

A locksmith familiar with the particular safe in question would not have to destroy it to open it. It is possible to drill tiny holes in just the right places and insert tiny tools to hotwire the electronics and trigger an unlock. But finding the right locksmith, getting the work done, and filling in the holes might be more expensive than the safe.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    When you bought this safe it should have come with a factory default code. If you changed that after you bought it, which you should have and probably did, there is a small chance that the lock has somehow screwed up and returned to the default code, especially now that you removed the battery for an extended period of time. Most electronic memory will have some sort of backup power supply, coin cell battery, capacitor,etc. If that failed, the lock may have reset the combination to the factory default. It might be worth trying the old code.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    If all else fails, I suggest you get in touch with this guy:
    James Weimer
    Professional Safe and Vault
    260-417-1345
    Welcome to Vault Mover | 260.417.1345

He can open safes. Does contract safe opening for law enforcement too.

He is also very good at moving safes. Has all the equipment for going up and down stairs and will pick up your safe at the store and move it into your home. Reasonably priced too. AND, he's a fellow shooter. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom