Is there a practical use of bullet proof vests?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ive seen a couple around and thought-hey might not be a bad idea. Do you guys wear one when you go to the range, or hunting or a bad area? Im sure police officers wear one while on duty but Im talking in terms of civilian and lighter use.

No Im not talking about the "o look at me I have a bullet proof vest Im invincible" kind of vest that you wear over everything like a full body suit of armor tacticool vest. Im talking about a vest that you could wear under an overshirt and not be so obvious or under a light jacket and overshirt-something that is concealed; I wouldn't want one that makes me look like military or police because I think that would look tacky and/or not my style

In terms of weight-would it be practical to wear it to the range, hunting, bad areas, etc?

In terms of protection and/or safety is it practical or even necessary in your experiece or opinion?

Any other uses/benefits you can think of?

Im surprised I couldnt find any threads on this already.

Discuss

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have a concealable vest i use at work all the time. I work in the theater industry, and on occasion have to change projector bulbs. the smallest we have is 3000w and all of them are pressurized xenon, which can explode if not properly handled. we have these light kevlar jackets(look like welding jackets) that we're supposed to wear, but i don't trust them, so i wear mine:)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In the training world, bulletproof vests are often required when training inside a "shoot house". But those are generally plates inside a plate carrier, worn on the outside of clothing.

I've also heard of guys buying plates or a vest to pack in their SHTF gear.

While I can't see a reason why wearing one to the range or hunting would hurt or hinder you, their cost and comfort are probably two reasons most don't.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    Probably wouldn't be all that useful to take hunting, provided they're to protect against stray shots - those vests are designed to stop handgun bullets. Most hunting calibers would barely notice the vest unless you're talking about SAPI plates and stuff like that.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Range use.
    Hunting use.
    Training use.
    Public speaker use.
    Car/motorcycle use.
    When you "have to" go somewhere you'd rather not go.
    Convenience store/gas station workers, taxi drivers, jewelers, .
    etc.

Concealable armor can be light enough (3-5 lbs) and comfortable enough (assuming proper fit) for the things mentioned. The main things are heat/moisture buildup under the vest.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    This is an old thread but I thought I would bring the question back up. Does anyone wear body armor regularly at the range? I'm doing a defensive pistol training in a few weeks and I'm contemplating wearing my police surplus IIa vest during the training.

I've heard that police departments require vests on range and i wonder why non-LEO wouldn't do the same.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have a friend in Miami that wears one every day. He works in a coin shop. The vest he wears will stop a 12gage slug and hand gun ammo. It will take a lot of the punch out of a rifle round like a 308 but it will not stop it. He also wears Kevlar shirts over the vest. It will also stop a knife from slashing and sticking. It will not stop an ice pick.

As far as comfort goes, he works in AC. As of yet it hasn't been tested while he is using it. He started wearing them after he found out that his boss and the guy he replaced were shot in a robbery. He thinks that they are great.

I have thought of getting one for when things fall apart. I think I would like one that would stop 223. That seems to be the round that is the most popular now. It is my under standing that you have to have one that has plates to do that. That is just to much weight for every day carry around the place. Then the extra weight might take some of that extra fat off of me.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I could see maybe wearing one at the range. Especially if you know there could possibly be unsafe practices going on. Beyond that I would think its impractical. You'll find its quite uncomfortable to wear for extended periods unless you take plenty of time getting use to wearing and moving around in one.

Check your surplus vest. They do have a sort of "expiration" date. After years of wearing, sweating and moving around in one they break down. A 2A vest wont stop much to begin with.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    35527858.jpg

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I use to wear a level 2A at work. I don't wear it anymore since I don't find it necessary.

Regardless of the term "concealed" they will be uncomfortable. If you buy the vest new then you'll have to break it in and you'll feel like a duck when you move around for a while. Wear a under armor shirt with sweat wicking material to help relieve moisture buildup in hot weather.

Modern inserts allow you to remove them and wipe it down with a damp rag to clean. Hand wash the carrier.

I have it sitting next to my bed incase of a home invasion (if I have time to get to it) but don't use it for anything else.

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    From where I sit, if you can afford one and do not find them too uncomfortable, why NOT wear one? Especially at the range, etc.

Taking this logic a step further, many here preach carrying firearms for safety. If I get into a gunfight, the first thing I want is a gun. The second is some sort of protection against a gun. A wall can do, but armor is a better bullet stopper than drywall.

Its just another "just in case" item to have on you.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've tested several body armor brands that were over a decade past its expiration date and they all still stopped the highest threat they were rated for. The newer older stuff is more susceptible to moisture and what not. The new stuff is bulletproof so to speak. I have a bunch of old stuff laying around. If I still went to college i'd probably put a panel in the water bladder section of my bag.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Another use, not mentioned yet (I don't think), is to use as a backstop when administratively loading/unloading handguns.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I see them most valuable for the home. Say someone breaks in your home while you are sleep. You wake up to the noise, and throw on your molly vest. You can have your pistol, mags, phone, light, etc. all in one place. If you do have to engage a threat, now you have a level of protection. I also see it as a good idea if you are going to be in a bad area you are unfamiliar with. Again it gives you that extra level of protection.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I use to wear a level 2A at work. I don't wear it anymore since I don't find it necessary.

Regardless of the term "concealed" they will be uncomfortable. If you buy the vest new then you'll have to break it in and you'll feel like a duck when you move around for a while. Wear a under armor shirt with sweat wicking material to help relieve moisture buildup in hot weather.

Modern inserts allow you to remove them and wipe it down with a damp rag to clean. Hand wash the carrier.

I have it sitting next to my bed incase of a home invasion (if I have time to get to it) but don't use it for anything else.

Depends on what type you wear. I was issued a new level III vest when I was in the Coast Guard. It was comfortable to wear, even for long periods of time. We would usualy wear a shirt-vest-shirt., on hot days.

Top Bottom