Is there any form of ammo "illegal" in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The people who told you that are full of the proverbial beans. The only expressly illegal ammunition is "armor piercing" handgun ammunition, and that is defined as a steel core with a plastic jacket (or something to that effect)... It's late and I'm too lazy to quote the statute, and for that I apologize. I'll get to it tomorrow if someone else doesn't scoop me....:ingo:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Consider yourself scooped. :)

IC 35-47-5-11
    "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 11. (a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) possesses;
    (3) transfers possession of; or
    (4) offers to transfer possession of;
    armor-piercing handgun ammunition commits a Class C felony.
    (c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns.
    (d) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells armor-piercing handgun ammunition to a law enforcement agency.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    It says plastic coated, so steel core copper jacket is ok. I think that statue is in reference to teflon coat steel rounds that pierce through about anything body armor wise

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    AFAIK, there is nothing on the market that meets the criteria (except perhaps the LEO only FN 5.7mm stuff, but I don't think that is plastic coated but meets the fereral definition of armor piercing). At the time there was a media scare about "cop killer" bullets that may or may not have been under development.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    kludge, the Indiana statute was drafted with the ancient KTW round in mind.

For some reason the politicians and media thought that the teflon had someone to do with the ability to puncture vests and not to protect the bore of your pistol.

Deer, who is telling you that Black Talon is illegal? Gun dealers with lots of Black Talon to sell? Old gun show trick.

Deer_Slayer_90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well a local gun shop had a few boxes of black talon, but we have quite a few, and in many different calibers. So I was just wondering. Do they make black talons that one can buy in bulk for reloading...Especially in .40 cal?

I watched a test they did on tv and the .223 rarely penetrated a bullet proof vest. 7.62X39 did everytime...except when they switched to the dragon skin!!! Thats some pretty B.A. stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would a .30 cal sabot holding a .223 bullet loaded into a 7.62x25 Tokarev or into 7.62x39 be considered "a plastic coating with a metal core"? The code is not specific that the bullet must be one piece or totally encapsulated. :dunno:

I've seen this sort of ammo and components for sale in various places and always wondered if it was "technically" illegal.

Top Bottom