Is there any law that limits number of guns per visit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    We recently went to a Walmart to look at rifles and was told that a single person could not purchase more than one gun in 24 hours. I have never heard of a law on this and did a little research but nothing came up. Is this just a store policy.

We also were told by one in Kentucky that they will not sell one after 9PM. He tried to act like it was "law" but again I have never heard of anything like that.

Does anyone know of any real laws that apply here, either state or federal?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Store policy or a standard uninformed sales person. I do know that my local Walmart had a store policy of not selling firearms or ammo after a certain hour, but that was the local manager being paranoid.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    NICS closes at 9 from what I have heard. So while you could in theroy buy a gun after 9pm, you couldnt get your background check done until the following day. Other than that if you buy multiple handguns in one day they must all be listed on the same 4473 and the dealer has to do extra paperwork on the transaction. Other than that, no limits.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is there a rule regarding reporting though? I was told by someone at an LGS that if you buy more than one pistol a day, they are required to report it to the BATFE.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    As previously stated, it's a store thang. I'm betting they don't want the hassle of doing multiple purchase forms... that's just a hunch.
    As for NICS (also as stated), they are open way past 9pm. In fact, during the height of the biggest call in slow-downs and "on hold" times, my boss would call them in as late as 11pm or later just to make sure people could get their stuff. He's a peach like that.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I've purchased multiple weapons at one time. My record transaction was 2 rifles and two handguns, all at the same time. This was a few years back when you could find AK's on the wall of your local gun store for $400 or less.

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Eastern Standard time the NCIS is open from 8am to 1am. At Rual king if you buy two or more handguns in the same week then we at Rural King have to fill out different paper that has nothing to do with the buyer. It will however have the buyers name, address, what they bought and the date they bought it along with the Lafayette Police departments address and phone number. I dont know if other businesses have to do it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Eastern Standard time the NCIS is open from 8am to 1am. At Rual king if you buy two or more handguns in the same week then we at Rural King have to fill out different paper that has nothing to do with the buyer. It will however have the buyers name, address, what they bought and the date they bought it along with the Lafayette Police departments address and phone number. I dont know if other businesses have to do it.
    Yes, that's the multiple purchase form.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A buddy I were buying ammo at wallyworld recently late at night, got to talking to the clerk and they had worked at a walmart elsewhere in the past. They told us that there (other walmart) they had restrictions to selling based on it being a high crime area and such. They had the right to refuse sale at anytime to a person and also stopped selling ammo after a certain time.. This was policy created specifically to that store though from my understanding based on what they told us.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Not aware of any specific law, but there is a limit on my bank account that will limit my ability to purchase multiple guns.

Just write a check or take cash. That is one of the things that I truly hate about debit cards, they limit me to $1000 per transaction per day, so if I want to purchase say 2 AR-15's and 2 Kel-Tec pistols, a ruger 10/22 and 2 GP100's along with a few thousand rounds of ammo, I couldnt because of this "limit". When I inquired with the credit union I was told this was a safety feature, which I do understand, and that all I would have to do would be to call the CU an hour ahead of the purchase and they would up the limit to whatever I needed, based upon what was in my account of course. Well instead of that I opted to write the shop a check so that they didnt have to have any of the credit card processing fees, plus I got a bit better deal since it was considered a cash transaction. I write many a checks to them so they know me, and know it isnt a cold check.

Gunner

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    things that I truly hate about debit cards, they limit me to $1000 per transaction per day

When I inquired with the credit union I was told this was a safety feature, which I do understand
    I think that's ridiculous. Even with the physical card showing the security code on the flip side, you can't run that debit without the PIN. And unless someone was stupid enough to write their PIN on their card... then??

all I would have to do would be to call the CU an hour ahead of the purchase and they would up the limit to whatever I needed
    Unless it was a pre-planned event, who ever knows they're going to buy something an hour ahead? And what if the thing you want to purchase is only discovered after the bank is closed or the transaction time won't post until the next business day?
    Bunk.

Top Bottom