• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    I heard that there was legislation somewhere that would require ammo manufacturers to produce ammo that would have a limited shelf life to prevent stockpiling.
    Say it aint so.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    The rumor has come and gone. That would make little legal sense of any ammo manufacturer to produce a product that protects someone's life that may have expired early when needed. Would they make it illegal to reload your own ammo with "ENDLESS LIFE OLD SCHOOL GUNPOWDER AND SUPER ILLEGAL LONG LIFE PRIMERS"!? Silly rumors.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have not heard that one, but it's a good one.:laugh: I did, however, earlier this evening, have someone tell me they are doing away with the lifetime LTCH because the state is losing money. That one comes up about twice a day I think.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Everyone wants to seem to make a contribution or dispense great wisdom at the gun shop thus this is one of those rumors that refuses to die.

Lifetime license abolition, closed magazines on Mini-14s, inter alia.

The best I've been able to trace this rumor is a corruption of the taggants that the feds were attempting to introduce into gunpowder in the late '90s. Heck, there was even an attempted bombing staged here in Tippecanoe County to advance the cause of taggants. The hired patsy was less than technically proficient.

Guys who were only paying half attention got taggants confused with some super seekrit powder killer program (taggants can cause problems in destabilizing powders which is a problem in nations where it is used).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In theory there could quite simply be a chemical in the primer that decays or degrades at a known and constant rate.....
    Got any surplus .357, .44mag, .40, 9mmKurz, etc...?

Actually, people, a goodly portion of the "lead free" ammo won't last nearly as long as traditional ammo precisely due to the priming compound.

There's an article in a recent G&A or Shooting Times mag that talks a little about it.

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The best I've been able to trace this rumor is a corruption of the taggants that the feds were attempting to introduce into gunpowder in the late '90s. Heck, there was even an attempted bombing staged here in Tippecanoe County to advance the cause of taggants. The hired patsy was less than technically proficient.

Guys who were only paying half attention got taggants confused with some super seekrit powder killer program (taggants can cause problems in destabilizing powders which is a problem in nations where it is used).

The feds also wanted to put taggants in explosive materials which the ISEE fought. Aside from the "changing the properties of the materials" argument, there's about 3 billion pounds of explosives used annually in industry and every gravel road and concrete structure would contain taggants and eventually it would degrade the effectiveness of them but add considerable industry cost, for very little real gain.

Top Bottom