is there any way to check if a LEO is really on duty even though he is not in uniform

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    in this video at 4:22 a guy in plain clothes comes up to the guys and shows an ID not a badge, in that circumstance how can you be sure he is really on duty and not power tripping? the guy asks him if he is on duty and the guy replies that he is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njb6X-nmW2M&feature=related]YouTube - One Good Cop[/ame]

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would not pull over for someone in plain clothes. It is unprofessional for the police to even initiate a traffic stop from an unmarked car or without a uniformed officer present.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I would not pull over for someone in plain clothes. It is unprofessional for the police to even initiate a traffic stop from an unmarked car or without a uniformed officer present.

they were walking i beleive. it was a war protest and they were walking across the country.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    they were walking i beleive. it was a war protest and they were walking across the country.

So keep walking. The most important phrase you can ever utter is, "am I being detained or am I free to go now?"

I witnessed several, if not a dozen unlawful detentions in that video.

I am really proud of the way that ISP officer behaved at the end of the video. You could tell he wasn't interested in what they were doing at all, but he was polite and professional, did his job, and went on his way when he realized that there was no crime in progress.

It's an awful shame to see the way the police acted in most of those clips. It's like cops in America have nothing other than force and intimidation.

If I were them, I wouldn't have carried ID either. In most states, you don't have to provide any form of ID, just your name (unless you're driving).

This video is illustration that you should remember and use the phrase, "Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go now?" Without expressing that the detention is not voluntary, you'll have no fourth amendment claim later. And a good cop will recognize that the contact is not voluntary when you deliver this line.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    So keep walking. The most important phrase you can ever utter is, "am I being detained or am I free to go now?"

I witnessed several, if not a dozen unlawful detentions in that video.

I am really proud of the way that ISP officer behaved at the end of the video. You could tell he wasn't interested in what they were doing at all, but he was polite and professional, did his job, and went on his way when he realized that there was no crime in progress.

It's an awful shame to see the way the police acted in most of those clips. It's like cops in America have nothing other than force and intimidation.

If I were them, I wouldn't have carried ID either. In most states, you don't have to provide any form of ID, just your name (unless you're driving).

This video is illustration that you should remember and use the phrase, "Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go now?" Without expressing that the detention is not voluntary, you'll have no fourth amendment claim later. And a good cop will recognize that the contact is not voluntary when you deliver this line.

is this also for indiana?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    is this also for indiana?

This is for everywhere in the USA or anywhere else where our constitution has power:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Remember--a detention, even for a brief period of time, is a seizure of your person. The constitution protects your right against unreasonable seizures of your person--which means any suspicionless, involuntary detention.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    I had an email from my mom and I will research for it but the mobile phones have a number you can call and it will put you through to local dispatch and you can ask if there is an officer in the area.. I will check for the number as well

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    In Indiana, all full-time sworn officers (ISP, sheriff deputies, city / town police, constables) are on duty 24/7.

Other types of officers are treated differently. Special Deputies are only on-duty during working hours and at the specific locations they are authorized police powers as determined by the Sheriff that issues the credentials. Reserve officers duty status will depend on the department policy where they are assigned.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If you find the cite, I'd love to see it.
    He speaks the truth, it doesnt have anything to do with this thread because the guys were walking.

But you do not have to pull over for a police officer in an unmarked car out of uniform.

I would recommend calling 911 and tell them that some wanna be is following you and see how that plays out.

They might be on the other end with the officer.:D

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    unless there was some editing done it seemed like all the police walked away when they refused to shut the camera off. does make me wonder why all of them except the last one seemed to have a problem with it and what the outcome might have been if they did turn it off.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you find the cite, I'd love to see it.

Here you go:

IC 9-30-2-2
    Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.18.

Now, in Maynard v. State (I think), it was held that if no contact between the officer and the defendant occurrs, that doesn't apply. For example, an officer views someone driving, and he knows for a fact that person's driving privileges were revoked. He can draft an information, probable cause affidavit, and a traffic ticket, and drop them off at the prosecutor's office for further action. In this type of situation, he wouldn't be performing a traffic stop.

Look what two minutes on Google reveals. Google is your friend.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In Indiana, all full-time sworn officers (ISP, sheriff deputies, city / town police, constables) are on duty 24/7.

Other types of officers are treated differently. Special Deputies are only on-duty during working hours and at the specific locations they are authorized police powers as determined by the Sheriff that issues the credentials. Reserve officers duty status will depend on the department policy where they are assigned.

When I worked as a Special Deputy for the Marion County Sheriff's Office, I was officially a "non-merit police officer" with 24 hour police powers statewide as opposed to a "Commercial" (don't know if that's an official designation) Special Deputy whose police powers began and ended with his duty hours.

Don't know if that's true elsewhere, but I checked it out _most_ carefully at the time (1999-2005)

Top Bottom