Is there anyone here that ISN'T an AR-15 fan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    AR

I don't think i will ever get an AR unless i get a great deal on one.

They are fun to shoot just to expensive for my budgie. Im also not a big on the cost of 223.
    Although, I would want to find one with an upper that could shoot 5.56 Russian :rockwoot:

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I decided to go the route rarely traveled and built a vz58 from a parts kit.

Vz. 58 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Someday maybe I will build an AR, but first I will get another vz58. I will probably buy one from Czechpoint, kits and receivers are too expensive to be worth it right now.

About how much is it costing you to go this route on the 58?

Can you pass me some links to sniff out? (PM is fine if you don't want to hijack the thread).

In keeping with the original thread theme, I guess I'm not a huge AR fan either, but I can't say it's for technical reasons. I just like older weapons since I'm a big history nerd.

I think the only "new" rifle I've ever bought was the Saiga 308 that's in the midst of a "Saiganov" conversion. Not sure if that puts me in the "AK" camp or not. ;)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am just curious, everyone here seems to be AR-15 fans, I have owned half a dozen over the years(Colt, Bushmaster, RRA and a few put togethers) and they just never did much for me...I'm more of an FAL/HK G3 kinda guy. Am I all alone? Just fishin for opinions, TY :D

I'm not much impressed with them.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Yep. Big AR fan here. Only rifle I take out and display every night next to the computer. Just can't take my eyes off of it! Much better looking than my wife. :)

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    *shrug*

I've never been a fan of the .223, and I'll not likely ever take a 600 yard shot.

They look cool, and people like em. That's fine. I got my "AR Fix" with a Smith 15-22. I get to tacticool it and shoot cheap.

Otherwise, My SKS's and AK I like!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am a latecomer to the AR world. I only got my first one three years ago in spite of being a rifleman for two decades now. I've never been a huge fan of the .223 round, tending to be a bit of a bigger caliber fan (.308, 10mm, .45acp, .50bmg, etc), but I have to admit, the AR15 is a fun rifle and a decent platform. Legos for adults as some say. The fact that they have such a high degree of parts availability and interchangeability make me like them even more. It's the rifle that sits next to the bed with light and HWS, and my go-to gun for varmit control.

I don't really consider the AR15 and the AK/SKS to be comparable. I like the SKS as an inexpensive beater rifle (the best was when you could get them for under a hundred), but I see them as two very different platforms with two somewhat different uses.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I apoligize becasue I am new but I have never owned one and probably never will. Have shot and worked on mny of them........just never did anything for me personally. Though they are a good firearm ;)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is not making sense to me. Before you said you choose the AR in 223 because it wont over penetrate. If as you said before penetration is the concern then a shotgun, handgun will both penetrate less than a .223 I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not going to use a AR or AK for home defense unless the crap really hits the oscillating air current distribution device. In that case I resort to high powered rifles then I'm not concerned with over penetration. Still toting the AK over the AR.

Catch the episode on Defense TV. They demonstrated that the 9mm and 45acp both penetrated more walls than the .223. I believe this to be accurate as they seem like they know what they are doing. I was suprised myself at the results but those were the result. The 9mm was the worst going through 4 walls.

Thanks for the information. I would have thought that out of any two bullets comparatively the same in design a bullet traveling twice as fast would penetrate more. After doing research I see you are correct about the penetration of the .223, it penetrates less than 9mm and .45 ACP.

Here is a good article in support by Massad Ayoob on "Selecting Home Defense Ammunition" I stand corrected.

Selecting Home Defense Ammunition | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    As a vet I can say that I am not a bit intrested in ever owning any US military Matel piece of junk or cicvilaian copy of one. I'll take a FAL, L1A1,G3,Galil,Ak, M1 Garand,M14or an M1 Carbine..Given the choice between a M4 or a Kar98.. I'll take the Kar98.
    God Bless

GC Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I'm not an AR fan.
    I like my AK and Marlin 795. I have my Polish Tokarev for home defense.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Huh...

I am confused never heard of that Caliber...
    i would like to hear the answer too???
    anyway, i love the ar, and all you hater's can take your ak's 300 yds in front of me and my fellow ar'rs, and i will yell, "fire", just keep shootin boys, you will see what i mean:rockwoot:

gtmerkley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Farm Near St Anthony, Indiana
    I for one Would love to get an ACR Just becouse its not an ar15 type firearm + ITS MADE BUY BUSHMASTER ant I like the 1/9 inch twist over the 1/7.
    I just never could stand a ar15 even thow we have many in the house,all bushmaster.

Top Bottom