• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Needing to know from the experts whether or not this is a fake.

I got this as a trade offer for my Schempp Tuff. It seems to be a fake to my untrained eyes. No lock bar stabilizer, BOS and USA stamp, and the G10 looks off. He claims it's real and 2010 manufactured. I'm not an expert, and I know some of the old old Striders were BOS stamped and had no lock ar stabilizer. So I don't want to be a jerk and call this guy out unnecessarily. But it sure looks like a fake to me.

c0ff94173ff281fa96536cd67a20d1cb_zpsrdbcqvxf.jpg

500882113ab1e8808e0b10f273f89f7d_zpsa6qqlfrq.jpg

11abb64a029a7242be1edfabec6ff43c_zpsgrihlj37.jpg

dd87ab1ebe2ea7f5c275e3a06dba8531_zps839pu3mr.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The older Striders had BOS heat treat, and we're BOS stamped. I think that ended in 2007 or so, though. So him claiming it was a 2010 throws flags, I think.....

If I'm not mistaken a real Strider is not BOS stamped, or at least the newer ones aren't. The stopped the BOS stamp around gen3 I believe.

No idea. I haven't wasted my time yet. Guy just sent pics. Said it locks up tight.

I'd ask Brad

How's the lock up and fit and finish?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    If its 2010 with a bos heat treat stamp it is a fake. Bos moved from cali to idaho in like 2007 and when they did strider started doing there own heat treat which was set up by bos. The G10 also doesn't look right to me but that doesn't mean anything since I'm not completely in the know if older striders. Post it up on the USN in micks forum and he will tell you himself whether it's real or not.

Someone posted one just like that up a year ago. He said it was the best fake he had ever scene. He said had it not been for the bos heat treat stamp he would have said he ground the blade himself!!

I'll see if I can find the thread

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm about 99% sure this is a fake because of the following 4 reasons.

1. The hardware (screws) and pivot hardware are not black coated. Every SMF CC model that I have seen with black G-10 has had black screws and black pivot hardware. I'm not saying that Strider has not used silver finished hardware before, I just have never seen it myself.

2. Looking at your pictures, it looks like the stop pins are not touching the g-10 front side or the titanium backside when the blade is fully opened. With a real Strider, those stop pins will be sitting flush against the G-10 side (not that important) and the titanium side (very important) to ensure proper lock up and to prevent up and down blade play. If there is any space or gap between the stop pin and the titanium frame (backside) when the blade is fully opened, that would raise a big flag for me.

3. If it is truly a 2010 model, then the I have a problem with the BOS stamp being there.

4. If it is truly a 2010 model, then it should have the Hinderer LBS (Lock Bar Stabilizer) to prevent over travel.....which it does not. Strider incorporated the LBS in their Generation 2 models.

IMO....... No way would I take it in a trade or buy it. This really isn't even a good fake...I have seen better. :)

:twocents:

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks guys. I passed on the trade.

Who knows the real story on this. I'm not trying to imply the guy was trying to scam me or anything. For all I know, it's real and a pre-gen 2 model and the owner is mistaken. Could also be he just doesn't know its a fake and he got scammed himself. Regardless, if Brad says he wouldn't touch it, it's not worth the risk to me. Thanks again!

On a side note, I REALLY hate fakes and knock offs.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This thread is another fine example of why I love INGO.

You guys came together and got to the bottom of this in about 6 hours. :yesway: Possibly saved the OP several hundred dollars.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Fake here is why
    Pivot hardware is wrong
    Hardware color is wrong the only non blackened hardware is on Micks new titanium hardwared knives that are very very recent
    The stop pins are too large
    The way the logo and such are stamped into the blade is wrong
    The Strider name is too big
    The cut on the "Ti" lockside is wrong
    The finish on the blade is wrong as well
    The Grind is a give away as well very few Striders have a Dagger grind on them and they normally fetch a premium.
    The G10 side is wrong too it appears to be a CC non locking side with a Lego locking side a big indicator as well.

Overall not the worst fake I have ever seen. I am comparing the knife pictured to my real Strider SMF right in front of me as well. Please give me the name of this person as well, I saw this same exact knife and question a few weeks ago on a different forum and I would bet it is the same person (a lying POS if you ask me).

Also feel free to visit Brads table at the 1500 there will be several real Striders there to fondle, I will even bring the MSC custom as well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks Dean. PM sent since I don't want to smear a strangers name on the Internet. Like I said, I don't know if he's a strait up good person that got scammed himself and just doesn't know its a fake.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Wouldn't the Strider knife logo and Bos logo be stamped into the metal as well? That looks like it was printed on the blade. I'm no Strider expert, just comparing photos and noticed that.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Dude in the photo is sporting a NEBO light, so i am almost certain it's a fake based on that alone. Dudes who drop 500.00 on knives, don't carry 10.00 lights. IMO..

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's a question to which we may never have an answer.

Does the guy who owns the knife know it's a fake? And if so, did he buy it cheap with that knowledge, or did he get taken by someone else, and maybe is trying to pass that favor to some other poor schlub?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I talked with him on the phone. I normally have a pretty good feel for whether or not someone is trying to jerk me around. I think the guy was ok and didn't know. Pretty sure he said he traded an edge pro for it, so I think he got taken advantage of. But I'll never know for sure.

Oh well, I'm not out any money. And I learned a lot about Striders reading through forums learning how to identify a fake.

Here's a question to which we may never have an answer.

Does the guy who owns the knife know it's a fake? And if so, did he buy it cheap with that knowledge, or did he get taken by someone else, and maybe is trying to pass that favor to some other poor schlub?

Top Bottom