• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jburns89

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I am interested in one of these....thoughts???

Taurus.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I purchased a PT140 Millennium Pro as my first carry gun when I was 19. It was very concealable. The grip was very ergonomic.

However, the slide was very beefy and made it feel top-heavy in my hand. Its a DAO pistol, which means the manual safety is a waste. The trigger pull was NASTY. It felt cheap and way long. It was not a "fun" gun to shoot, and accuracy was so-so. I also experienced various failures, including breaking the guiderod. Holsters and accessories were almost non-existent, and extra magazines were like $45/each. I couldn't trust my life with it.

I later traded up to a Glock 19 and haven't looked back. No superfluous safties, balanced weight, better trigger (not BEST), manageable recoil, combat accurate, plethora of holsters and accessories available, and magazines for $20/each. Best decision ever.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Remember, I'm just one story.

There are others on here who like them and carry them daily.

It really all comes down to a personal choice. Asking questions like this should help guide you.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sitting at my computer, as I am know, just under the key board is a Taurus Millennium Pro just like the one in your photo. Mine is a PT-111 9mm, and I trust my life to it. I have practiced with it, and put well over 1000 rounds through it with 100% reliability. I practice two handed, strong hand only, weak hand only, and in every position imaginable just to make sure I can trust it as much as I trust myself.

Double action only doesn't bother me, but what sets this pistol apart is that it resets the striker with each pull of the trigger, so if a round doesn't go bang the first time, you have instant second pull to try one more time before racking a new round in. A non-fire usually goes off on the second hit. I like knowing that the Taurus has that ability.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I started my firearms collection in the world of H&K Pistols. I found buying additional Magazines, and Holsters to be a real expensive, and annoying process.

Moving to the Glock platform will ultimately save me a fortune. $20 magazines vs $45 for the H&Ks. Good holsters are in stock everywhere, not special order. Etc.

I can't speak to the Taurus above specifically. However I can tell you spending an extra $100 on the firearm, to save $25 each in additional magazines pays it self back pretty quickly.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Wife has a PT140 and loves it, but I can't shoot it. She has small hands, and the grip fits her just right, but I can only grip it with 2.5 fingers, and hit the mag release about every other round. Her .40 is a bit picky about ammo, hates everything Remington, but loves Winchester White Box.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Taurus handguns have a lousy resale value, if that might be an issue. They depreciate like a Plymouth Neon. I have not owned a Mellinnium. I can't comment on it's reliability. I can comment on the the reliability and resale value of a Sig. You show your friends your Colts and Kimbers. You show your enemy your Sig.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    You show your friends your Colts and Kimbers. You show your enemy your Sig caliber glock

Fixed:D

The taurus millennium pro is definitely not a fun pistol to shoot, but it gets the job done. Also, since its taurus, lifetime warranty is standard. I would rate them on par with the kel tec p9 or 11. Honestly, if you want a nice carry pistol that is still taurus, go with the 24/7 pro, not the millennium

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    My .02 cents are that your question should be, "Is this a good gun FOR ME?" Everybody has different preferences, wants, and needs. Some factors to consider are initial cost, cost of accessories, cost of ammo, reliability, warranty, etc. My first pistol was a Smith&Wesson Sigma 9mm. I found it to be a good pistol and still have it. Was it a good gun? It was and has been for me.

Generally you won't/can't go wrong with a well known name brand gun. Glock and Springfield Armory XD come to mind. You will pay a little more for the actual firearm, but their name brand recognition, reputation, etc. are important factors to me. Every firearm has its pluses and minuses. If I were buying my first gun again, I would probably go with a Glock or the XD in 9mm or .40. They fit almost anybodies needs, are popular with many accessories readily available and can be sold fairly easily with little loss.

Good luck and happy buying!

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    There are three generations of those firearms, and there are big differences with each one. The very first generation was not too popular due to a LONG heavy trigger pull and some failure issues too.

Generation 2 was much better and has a decent size following and the trigger was much improved. Not near the failures either, but many had written them off after trying a gen 1 version.

Generation 3 is out now, and the trigger is no longer double action only, it is infact single action only unless the round does not fire and then it is double action for the next pull. The two easiest ways to tell it is a gen 3 version is to look at the sights, first of all they will be "srtaight 8" sights and then they will be dovetailed into the slide. I have heard VERY few complaints about the Gen 3 versions. When I do, it seems to be people talking about the old gen 1 versions that they used to own and it has made them hate them all now.

Here is a thread with some info, I did not read it all but it has photos of the gen 3 versions of at least the .45, and the .40 is the same. Taurus PT-145 range report - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!

I have shot a gen 2 in .45 and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked, it was easy for me to shoot and was very accurate with it. A friends dad owns it, and there have been no failures. The only thing I ever saw was him trying to shoot it with a cheap tac light attached that would not lock into the rail correctly, but he thought it was tight enough, and it indeed appeared to be going nowhere. Three shots and it went sailing downrange! :): We laughed for a while at that and it was not reattached! I do not own one personally, but would consider one for the right price. They are pretty close to a S&W M&P in price and I opted to get the Compact S&W in .40 and have been pleased with it as a carry piece. Any other questions just ask away and we will all do our best to answer them for you!

Last edited:

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    is it comfortabe for you?
    have you shot it?
    Do you like it?

then its a good gun for you

i went to pop guns one day and a guy walked out of the range and told the guy behind the counter "this gun is a piece of crap, it keeps jamming" and i just turned around and said "hold it tighter". "the reason why it jams is cause the slide works off the recoil of the gun and if you hold the gun loosely the your hands act like a shock absorber taking away the energy of the gun so the slide wont come back all the way and reload the gun." every hand gun i have shot not one jam

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Here's another data point to thrown into the mix: I shot a friend of mine's gen 3 PT140 Pro a few weeks ago. It was pleasant enough to shoot - when it worked that is. It failed a time or 2 on every mag. He claimed it was because it was dirty and I trust him because he does a fair amount of work with small arms. But, I just don't know. None of the guns in my collection have issues like that. I mean, I had a Kahr CW9 out that same day that we were breaking in and it had hundreds and hundreds of rounds of cheap ammo through it that day; all carboned up and dripping with goo, but it didn't have 1 hicckup.

I like the Taurus design, and they have a good warranty, but from what I've read/heard and this 1 experience, I just don't have the confidence to take the plunge on the Taurus PT140 or 145.

Last edited:

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I own a 3rd gen PT-145 and love it. I won't put 500K rounds through it over it's lifetime like I will my Kimber but it's not meant for that.

I have around 600 through the Taurus and it's been flawless for the last 400. Only ammo it has ever failed on is Blazer fmj.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I know two people who each carry a similar Taurus. I forget what number. That speaks pretty highly of them to me. I know they shoot reliably and surprisingly accurately whenever i get my hands on them.

WOOT #100!

shainiac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Downtown Indy
    Ive been researching this same gun for the last couple of days.
    Sorry to thread jack, but maybe the answers to my question will help you out.

What is the main difference in the 1st/2nd gen DAO and 3rd gen SA as far as trigger feel and shooting habits?
    How exactly is it single action if there is no external hammer?

Top Bottom