• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Would a check cashing place cash these? I wonder how that would be handled. Definitely a scam. There should be a entire departments into catching these crooks. they do way more harm than most people locked up for weed.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Craigslist has a good list of scams as well...

And the bank doesn't care, they'll cash it if it looks real enough and then you're on the hook for it.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

2. Distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check:

• You receive an email or text (examples below) offering to buy your item, pay for your services in advance, or rent your apartment, sight unseen and without meeting you in person.
    • A cashier's check is offered for your sale item as a deposit for an apartment or for your services.
    • Value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item—scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service.
    • Banks will cash fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, sometimes including criminal prosecution.
    • Scams often pretend to involve a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate, etc.).

[video=youtube_share;K_SgEiBRZNY]https://youtu.be/K_SgEiBRZNY[/video]

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Note the diction and wording, 99.9% scam. On the unlikely chance it's an legit person that English is the second language from countries where these phrases are the norm in their version of English, sorry dude, you're out of your element and going to suffer for it.

Highlighted the red flag words in the red flag phrases in the red flag paragraph
    -will be a bit high upon the amount agreed
    -my paycheck that will be issued in your name
    -decided to pay me the sum they are owing me
    -sent out for you to receive at the mailing address provided
    -close advert on the purchase

Also, if you reply to their email, it just confirms to them that it's a legit email address that's watched. expect more junk mail in the future.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm thinking of offering my services as a proper translator for some of these scam artists... I think with just a few grammar corrections I could really help them make more $ and I could make a good living as well.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm thinking of offering my services as a proper translator for some of these scam artists... I think with just a few grammar corrections I could really help them make more $ and I could make a good living as well.

or speaking for the scam callers using the female version of stephen hawking's voice from 20 years ago?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I've been binge watching youtube vids of American computer experts who call these scammers via virtual computers and play along with the scammers, all the while destroying the scammers computer, and in some cases, locking the scammers out of their own computers. It's very entertaining to see real computer experts hack the scammers.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've run into the same scam on Craigslist before selling other stuff. They will send a completely fake check that looks legit, and expect you to give them change. If you take that check to the bank you will likely get in trouble for bank fraud.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Besides which, wouldn't it be less trouble for him to deposit his paycheck and then obtain a check for the desired amount in your name from his bank? I don't know of any business that will issue you a paycheck in someone else's name (tax fraud) nor would I be likely to rely on a total stranger to remit the difference to me if it was really my money

Common sense says flee

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    Besides which, wouldn't it be less trouble for him to deposit his paycheck and then obtain a check for the desired amount in your name from his bank? I don't know of any business that will issue you a paycheck in someone else's name (tax fraud) nor would I be likely to rely on a total stranger to remit the difference to me if it was really my money

Common sense says flee
    Agreed! That was why I backed off. No legitimate business would write a check to a stranger. I told him I would only accept PayPal with 5% service charge. For 20+ years doing PayPal, I haven't lost a nickle yet.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Agreed! That was why I backed off. No legitimate business would write a check to a stranger. I told him I would only accept PayPal with 5% service charge. For 20+ years doing PayPal, I haven't lost a nickle yet.

If PayPal finds out a payment transaction is for a firearm they can and have refused to release funds. You may have gotten away with it so far but you are taking a risk using their service.

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    If PayPal finds out a payment transaction is for a firearm they can and have refused to release funds. You may have gotten away with it so far but you are taking a risk using their service.
    You're right again. I've never transacted guns on PayPal before, I did sell related items like red dots, etc.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Back in my Mauser collecting days, the usual method of payment for out of state was a postal money order. The funds have to be there to get issue and can be cashed at just about any post office

I think the M.O. plus priority mail for the envelope (more reliable delivery plus tracking) was under $12 so it shouldn't break him (esp. if he was willing to pay $50 for FFL)

I would sever all communication, this will lead to tears

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I see this a lot. The check is counterfeit and after you wire the difference it will bounce and you’ll be on the hook for the amount you wired out. They don’t care about the gun or whatever else your selling. Let them mail you the check then tell them you’ll meet them with the cash and kick the crap out of them.

Top Bottom