• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    My FIL passed recently. We found some nice goodies......one of which is a 50 cal ammo can full of loose 308 ammo. It still has the receipt from Sportsmans Guide in it. 500 rounds for 89.99 purchased in 1998. After opening, the first rounds I saw..........two had boogered necks (the side of the neck was crinkled) and one round still had a piece of the machine gun link fused to the side of the case. This tells me that all this ammo is mil-surp and probably de-linked machinegun belts.

I've been inspecting and cleaning each round. Tossing aside all rounds with green goo growing around the bullet/neck joint.....all the rounds with backward/sideways/missing primers.....and any obvious defect. Out of 500 rounds, I've only got about a dozen "bad" rounds. But, all this ammo is over 30 years old and who knows what conditions it was stored before is was surplused out. Most of the headstamps have TV and the year....mostly 79/80/81/82 with a few oddballs here and there.

Obviously, this is stuff I don't think I'd trust my life too. But, I'm wondering if this stuff is even safe to burn at the bench at my local range. Last thing I want is to have a squib plugging up the barrel of my AR10.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Clean it up and drop each round in a case gauge, if it drops in freely and headspaces in spec there's no reason not to fire de-linked milsurp if you know it will feed and chamber properly.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I've fired 54r ammo that was almost 100 years old. Do as trophyhunter said and if you're still concerned pull a couple bullets and take a look at the powder and see it looks ok. Or you could just mail it all to me :)

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I've fired 54r ammo that was almost 100 years old. Do as trophyhunter said and if you're still concerned pull a couple bullets and take a look at the powder and see it looks ok. Or you could just mail it all to me :)
    Heck there's no shortage of guys willing to cover that $89.99 for his trouble these days :)

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I believe that 308 had the belts broken and the tracer ( every 5th round ) taken out so it could be imported and it was sold in 4 round belts in the original cans. If its brass cased and Berdan primed that's it. I bought a few cans of it back then. I want to say Egyptian ????

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I believe that 308 had the belts broken and the tracer ( every 5th round ) taken out so it could be imported and it was sold in 4 round belts in the original cans. If its brass cased and Berdan primed that's it. I bought a few cans of it back then. I want to say Egyptian ????
    Sticks in my mind that there was some awful Indian and Pakistan 308 imported around that time frame also.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There was some Hirtenberger 7.62 machine gun ammo that was linked to blowing up some M14's. If there is any way to run one over a chrono and make sure it is within spec, I would recommend that.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Sticks in my mind that there was some awful Indian and Pakistan 308 imported around that time frame also.

The ammo that was imported I'm talking about was nice brass cased ammo.
    It was just strange to buy it linked in 4 round increments. I'll be where I have some left tomorrow, I'll look at the ammo cans and headstamp.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    There was some Hirtenberger 7.62 machine gun ammo that was linked to blowing up some M14's. If there is any way to run one over a chrono and make sure it is within spec, I would recommend that.

Are you sure it was 308 ? They exported a bunch of 9mm subgun ammo to the USA that was like 60,000 psi around 10-15 years ago. Pistols were coming apart all over. ATF stopped more from being imported here.
    I have a few cans of that left, it will make a uzi or a Ingram run like it should.
    The 1200 Rd cans were about 120 bucks each.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are you sure it was 308 ? They exported a bunch of 9mm subgun ammo to the USA that was like 60,000 psi around 10-15 years ago. Pistols were coming apart all over. ATF stopped more from being imported here.
    I have a few cans of that left, it will make a uzi or a Ingram run like it should.
    The 1200 Rd cans were about 120 bucks each.

Yes, it was 7.62, I saw one of the blown up M14's and pictures of a couple others. Bad deal when it is fits a chamber that is not designed to handle the pressure.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Interesting, most of the time with the M1A & M14 blowups is from using a Grenade Launching Cartridge with a blank adapter installed.. With that combination she will go BOOM, in a bad way.
    Garands will do the same thing.

Top Bottom