• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I picked up 200 rounds of 308 in a battle pack at a gun show this past weekend. Opened up the pack to put it in an ammo can and found it was all corroded.

It is brass and is supposed to be reloadable.

Can I tumble it and clean it up then use it or should just get rid of it? If I should get rid of it, what is the easiest way?

Mark

PS Note to self: don't buy ammo in sealed battle packs again without first opening them...

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I will try to get a pic tonight.

They are blue-green to the point that you cannot get them shiny with brass polish alone.

Mark

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Typically surplus 308 is berdan primed, which is very different from boxer primed. It can be reloaded, but you need specialized equiptment and, if you don't want to drill flashholes, berdan primers. Typically most people regard it is too much of a PITA and just add it to the scrap pile. I have no experience reloading berdan primed brass as I'm in the majority group who just scrap it.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Check for cracks around the neck and elsewhere. If no cracks then clean it and try it.
    If the powder isn't fouled and the primers are good it's fine for practice. I've had old ammo
    that misfired 2 out of three...I pulled the bullets and loaded them in new brass
    [waste not want not]....

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the info Redwings! I specifically asked if this ammo was berdan primed and was told it was not and could be reloaded. It is supposed to be one of the few that are not berdan primed, it was labeled as austrian.

I do have some berdan primed S&B and the primers do look different. The S&B have a red sealer around them, but the austrian have 3 stakes around the perimeter.

Now I might want to look into what it takes to reload my berdan primed brass since I have 500 rounds of it...

Mark

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I would not put loaded ammo in a tumbler. Chances are a primer would not ignite, but I sure the hell would not want to find out.

it takes a strike to set off a primer.......i have tumbled 1000's of old crusty rd's and i still have all my toes and eyes......they wouldn't go off....

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Cleaned up 2 rounds by hand with steel wool and shot them. Both fired just fine

And the brass is boxer primed...and looks like it should still be salvageable!

Now to decide if I want to buy a tumbler now to clean up the rest or just do it by hand while watching TV...

Thanks for all of the input!

Mark

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    To each there own, but I'll never take that chance.

Tumbler and vibratory cleaner are two different animals. Somehow, lots of folks call a vibratory cleaner a tumbler. It isn't.

Vibratory cleaner----no danger whatsoever of firing off a primer in a loaded round.

Tumbler, (think rock polisher, cement mixer) No way would I put a loaded round into one of these.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Mark,

That's cool that you found some surplus that is boxer primed. From what I've read over on m14forum that stuff is pretty hard to come by as the berdan primed surplus is so common. Good find and happy shooting!

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I agree that boxer primed surplus is difficult to find...this particular stuff is Austrian.

This would have been a better find if it was not corroded or at least nearly this bad. 2 hours in the vibe cleaner so far and they still has many more to go...

As long as I can re-use the brass, I will be happy.

Mark

Top Bottom