• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was looking on the DeSantis website and I noticed the banner ad on their front page for this holster. I'd like to get some other INGOer's thoughts and opinions on it.

POCKET SHOT

The Pocket Shot(TM) is our latest way to conceal and rapidly access your small auto. The #110 disguises itself as a wallet but can be brought into action instantly without removing the gun. It's made of black leather, is ambidextrous, and will carry several different 380 and 32 autos. This holster is illegal in California.

Pocket_Shot_xlarge_5319.jpg

1. Do you think this is a good idea/design? Or do you carry one yourself?

To me, a holster is supposed to cover the trigger. I can understand the thought behind it, but I personally wouldn't want to carry a pistol this way.

2. Why is the holster illegal in California? Do they have a law about how holsters can be designed/work?

BTW, I did search for a thread about this but didn't see one. :ingo:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Id say as long as you are careful and use your strong side pocket EXCLUSIVELY for your gun AND it has a long/heavy trigger pull it should be OK.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I saw these when I was looking for a holster for my LCP. I like the idea of it but I prefer to have my trigger covered too. The LCP has a long trigger pull but I still don't want the trigger exposed. It's just a personal preference.

I ended up buying an OWB holster that has a thumb break (snap) on it to keep the gun better secured since it is so small.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have one for my LCP. Its not the ideal setup but very convenient. Just a quick drop in the pocket and you're off. Very inconspicuous, people think it's a wallet.

I was uneasy about the trigger being uncovered so I carried without a round in the chamber...practiced handling/drawing until I was comfortable and realized it is very hard to accidentally pull this trigger.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    These holsters came out to be carried like a wallet and then pulled out and used (as said in what you posted). Like when someone demands your wallet or something. Some pretend you would never need your gun in another way I guess, but its still not a bad idea for a holster I will say and marketing has certainly sold it... But I do agree the reason to me for having a holster is to first cover the trigger. And second hold it in place while in the pocket. I don't have a use for it.

Oh and...

_California
    (insert other anti 2A state names here) sucks terrible for this among many other reasons.

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I like having a covered trigger in my holsters. I carry a Mika Pocket holster which covers the gun.
    If a person had to draw under stress it could be a problem with an exposed trigger. Covered triggers just insure safety.:twocents:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    1. I think it works for a long DA micro compact. It will not satisfy those that believe the holster must cover the trigger. Speaking as one who has tried the pocket holsters that are supposed to strip off when pulling your gun from your pocket, this is probably a better functional solution than those are, while providing better resistance to printing than simple pocket carry does. I would try it.

2. California is messed up.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    OP, be careful...

IANAL, but if i remember correctly, there are ATF regulations on AOW (any other weapon) "wallet" style holsters that allow you to fire the gun without removing it from the holster...they consider it "disguising" the weapon.

I may be wrong, but you would have to buy your tax stamp to be able to own that...maybe someone wiser than I can chime in.

I will look for the actual regulation...

Edit: From what i have found, i think you better pass on that holster unless you wanna pay $200 for a NFA stamp
    http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...ntification-firearms-section-9#wallet-holster

Last edited:

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    OP, be careful...

IANAL, but if i remember correctly, there are ATF regulations on AOW (any other weapon) "wallet" style holsters that allow you to fire the gun without removing it from the holster...they consider it "disguising" the weapon.

I may be wrong, but you would have to buy your tax stamp to be able to own that...maybe someone wiser than I can chime in.

Edit: From what i have found, i think you better pass on that holster unless you wanna pay $200 for a NFA stamp
    Firearms Guide - Identification of Firearms - Section 9 | ATF
    Thanks for doing the legwork. You pretty much verified what I've thought all along.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    OP, be careful...

I thought this only applied to holsters that cover the barrel. In this case the slide is exposed. I thought I read that on some other forum.

Edit: ATF doc
    http://www.gunnersecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/atf.jpg

Last edited:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Thanks for all the opinions and advice guys!

Just to make it clear, I wasn't thinking of buying the holster myself (I don't even have a gun it would work for), I just noticed it on the DeSantis site when I was on there.

I wasn't aware of the restrictions on "wallet holsters" from the ATF. Thank you TheEngineer and JollyMon for posting that stuff. Very good to know. I would assume that DeSantis talked to the ATF before they made that holster to make sure it would be ok.

Thanks again guys. :ingo:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    OP, be careful...

Nope. JollyMon was right. If that much of the gun is exposed, it's not an AOW. That's why it can be advertised and sold as it is.

Here are examples straight from the ATF.GOV site of "Wallet Holsters/AOW"

wallet-holster-2.jpg

wallet-holster.jpg

That is not this;

Pocket_Shot_xlarge_5319.jpg

Top Bottom