Is this normal? Powder measure question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've always had troubles throwing titegroup through my powder measure, but everyone else always praises it about how consistent they throw it. I'm very hesitant to use it through my measure because I've already had one KB in my transferable M11/9 that ended in welding it back together. My load then was 3.4gr of TG under Berrys 147 RN. I'd really like to use it since I have 4lbs of it and around 3000 Xtreme 147s now. I just came upstairs from trying it again and here was my weights in the order I threw them. They were measured on an RCBS 5-0-5 scale.

Is this normal? I feel like that is very inconsistent and actually quite dangerous considering the safe margins for titegroup are very narrow.

Also, when I dump it back in the can it sticks to the inside of the measure something awful. It's almost impossible to clean it all out. Here's the measure after I dumped it back in the can.

Am I doing something wrong?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'm not familiar with Titegroup as I've never loaded with it but the problem your having with the powder sticking to the inside of the measure tube is easily remedied. Just wipe the inside of the tube with a dryer sheet and the problem will stop.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'm not familiar with Titegroup as I've never loaded with it but the problem your having with the powder sticking to the inside of the measure tube is easily remedied. Just wipe the inside of the tube with a dryer sheet and the problem will stop.

Ive tried that before. It didn't work. It also sticks in the bottom of the measure. Clings to every surface it touches in the inside. Including down in the area where the powder is measured. I'll try it again though.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I use titgroup. I have pretty good results. what brand press &powder measure are you using? Hornady covers everything in "anti-corrosion" grease. you have to clean everything with de-greaser before using. Otherwise the powder sticks and bridges. Make sure everything is clean and tight and try 10 loads again.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ditto on the dryer sheet or anti static spray. Have had good luck with Tite Group with the old RCBS measure, with the small volume setting.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Hornady covers everything in "anti-corrosion" grease. you have to clean everything with de-greaser before using. Otherwise the powder sticks and bridges. Make sure everything is clean and tight and try 10 loads again.

I bet this is the problem. I use the Hornady powder measure & Titegroup; I've never seen static that bad.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    On the plastic and the painted body I used Dawn and hot water. Dried it with a towel & applied a dryer sheet to the inside of the plastic reservoir. On the cylinder I used Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (one step down from Brake Cleaner). I would be concerned if I had gummy paint at this point. If you used brake cleaner on the plastic, I would be concerned about that too.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have had no problems with titegroup in a Dillon 550b. It measures consistently (rarely varies a tenth). I do get some sticking to the side of the hopper and will try the dryer sheets.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd be willing to bet that the static has quite a lot to do with your lack of consistency throwing charges.
    Titegroup is a spherical powder specifically designed for ease of use in conventional powder measures.
    As others have mentioned, I would also carefully (brake cleaner? NO!) clean all moving parts and those that contact the powder.
    I would think that 90% isopropyl alcohol would clean things up nicely without harming plastic or paint and evaporate rapidly without leaving residue.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Since it MAY be gummy inside, I'd be inclined to pull the rotor and give it a good cleaning as well.
    Wipe out the tube with a dryer sheet, and just cycle about a half pound of powder thru it.
    The coating on the powder will act as a dry lube
    Then see how consistent it is.
    Oh...and you may want to play with the position of your baffle
    Looks a bit low to me.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Seeing how I've been guilty of this, make sure you have the correct powder rotor in it. Mine came with two, one for larger loads and one for smaller...

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Just to make sure .... you're not using the larger rifle drum in your powder drop? (for 3.4 grains, you are loading Titegroup for pistols, so you need to use the pistol/smaller volume drum).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just to make sure .... you're not using the larger rifle drum in your powder drop? (for 3.4 grains, you are loading Titegroup for pistols, so you need to use the pistol/smaller volume drum).

I have that same powder measure, except mine is old enough that the sticker says PACIFIC instead of Hornady. THe larger diameter cylinder assembly is awful for pistol use. I had lost the small diameter pistol chamber insert. The new Hornady "Lock and Load" rotor assmbly specifically for pistols dropped right in to my 40 year old powder measure. It is very consistant with tight group, even with static stocking powder to the plastic tube.

On a side note: +/- a tenth of a grain will not be noticable on the target anyway. Take apart some good factory ammo, you will be surprised at how much variation is allowable.

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Seeing how I've been guilty of this, make sure you have the correct powder rotor in it. Mine came with two, one for larger loads and one for smaller...

I have that same powder measure, except mine is old enough that the sticker says PACIFIC instead of Hornady. THe larger diameter cylinder assembly is awful for pistol use. I had lost the small diameter pistol chamber insert. The new Hornady "Lock and Load" rotor assmbly specifically for pistols dropped right in to my 40 year old powder measure. It is very consistant with tight group, even with static stocking powder to the plastic tube.

On a side note: +/- a tenth of a grain will not be noticable on the target anyway. Take apart some good factory ammo, you will be surprised at how much variation is allowable.

Never heard of a smaller drum for pistol. Mine only came with one. I got it in the Hornady Lock and load single stage kit.

bulldogs42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Clean it with the Hornady Dry Lube followed by a dryer sheet to reduce static and that should help. In terms of Titegroup, I haven't used that before. Of course, is it the powder measure or the powder scale that is off?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Read some reviews on Hornady pistol insert for the measure. Ordered one and the micrometer adjust! Nothing but great reviews on it. Hopefully it will solve my issues. I'll also give it a good scrub down.

Top Bottom