District 6
    1473BAAE-0E40-41C4-B3D6-6CEA66B30F04-13880-00000D7BFFA03AEF.jpg

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Mushrooms go through different cycles. Some are deadly when small, then not. Last time I was at the 1500 there was a man that had a complete book of all mushrooms in Indiana. Wish I would have bought it. It could be a valuable tool for survival.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Mushrooms go through different cycles. Some are deadly when small, then not. Last time I was at the 1500 there was a man that had a complete book of all mushrooms in Indiana. Wish I would have bought it. It could be a valuable tool for survival.

I've always cooked mushrooms more for flavor, etc. How much nutrition is actually in a mushroom? :dunno:

Looks like there are carbohydrates and protein and almost no fat in what I bring up. Hmm. Never really thought about it.

This sight shows a mushroom as both nutritious and filling.
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Mushrooms, white, raw

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

I have great news! Barnes and Nobles has a book similar to the one you speak of. Now you don't have to worry about paying entry fees or rubbing elbows with people with b.o. problems.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Good info. I am going to check that out. To answer your question about nutrition: If a person is on the move and/or lost in the wilderness or a post disaster, it would be helpful to know as much as possible about any edible flora or fauna that is present in your environment.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Good info. I am going to check that out. To answer your question about nutrition: If a person is on the move and/or lost in the wilderness or a post disaster, it would be helpful to know as much as possible about any edible flora or fauna that is present in your environment.

They also have laminated Pocket Naturalist Guides that are $5.95. I picked up three of them a few weeks ago Medicinal Plants, Edible Wild Plants and Trees of North America. You can find alot of good material in the nature section.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing

Mushrooms are very low in calories, so I wouldn't spend much time or effort on them in a survival situation. They primarily add flavor to the meal.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    You're right on that. Calories are big when it comes to day to day survival. I am not big on the flavors other than our spring mushrooms here and hickory jacks. Could you possibly use the mushrooms here in IN to dispatch an enemy?????????????????

Top Bottom