• ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    BS

In the past the NRA has 'compromised' and yes, allowed anti gun legislation to pass thru.

You, sir, are apparently listening to and certainly spreading manure. The NRA never "allowed" any law to pass, pro or anti gun. Have you not read the previous posts noting the NRA has no legislative authority?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The NRA can't stop legislation can they? I thought all they could do is influence lawmakers.

They can't "stop" legislation. But they can agree to not fight against legislation in exchange for language that protects firearms with "legitimate sporting purposes." Hence the test that threw every firearm actually covered by the 2nd Amendment under the bus.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I hear the "machine gun and rocket launcher" argument, or some variation, from a lot of NRA supporters who want to justify their decision to "pick their battles." Usually, it's also related to a "no legitimate sporting purpose" argument. Any time I see that phrase bubbling to the surface, I expect the NRA to abandon Evil Black Rifles, or "high capacity" magazines again, as long as high dollar shotguns and bolt action rifles are left alone.

The NRA rarely supports any weapon which would actually fall under second amendment protection, since the second amendment has NOTHING to do with "legitimate sporting purposes."
    Did you not notice NRA tearing into BATFE when they published their report on the "Banning of Importation of certain shotguns" back in 2009? NRA tore into the unconstitutionality of that "sporting test" and also the BATFE's choice to selectively disregard certain "sporting organizations" to marginalize certain organized sports that BATFE has disdain for (ie. tactical or action shooting sports) by ignoring IDPA, SASS, and IPSC.

But then, rhetoric vs effectiveness at legally or politically challenging certain ideas in Congress can be 2 separate issues.

I would like to see NRA, GOA, 2AF, and other pro-2A organizations work together more and better. When NRA-ILA got pissy with GOA over GOA pointing out the flaws of the Begich-Manchin reciprocity bill that NRA-ILA was backing, and instead endorsing the much better Thune-Vitter bill, NRA got downright pissy and looked bad!

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    The NRA has no legislative powers. The laws are put into place by the legislative branch. They try to influence whatever they can and they have to try to figure out which battles they can win if they support them. Anyone who is married learns you can't win them all, you try your best to win what you can. Does everything always turn out right?

The NRA has 4 million dues paying members. Back in 1986 they had about 2 million. The NRA would have a lot more power if the other 100 million or so gun owners would step up and be counted. That also means each member being involved at the local, state and national level. That also means voting as a block against candidates that are willing to compromise the constitution.

In this country, even poor people readily drop $35 for a Harley Davidson or ball team shirts and a meal for 2 at Applebees costs more that that if you leave a tip, I cannot believe all the cheap gun owners. For everyone who is an active member I know 20 who will not become involved because:
    1) it's too much money (no it's not)
    2) they did something I didn't like (are you involved enough to talk to your field rep? They actually take your opinion seriously)
    3) They send too many ads to the house (so does Walmart and Lowes, so what)
    4) add your favorite excuse

Do you realize the power potential that would be wielded if 100 million gun owners decided to work together in a solid block?

Belly aching on the internet to each other will not accomplish any goals. If the NRA membership would even go to 50 million, and we worked together we would not be worrying about tyrany taking away our little black guns.

Join the NRA, join other groups, write letters to government leaders, attend meetings both club and government, donate to legal funds, teach hunter or firearm safety classes, get involved in organized competitions, build your local clubs, be a shining enough citizen that you have influence among the non gun enthusiasts in your community. While I personally have no problem with it, open carry of a big handgun on your hip and snarling at scared, confussed people just because you can does not really help the cause. We have to step up to the plate. Other groups like ethnic, cultural, homosexual, animal lovers, etc. are accomplishing a lot for their cause because they get involved and work together.

I belong to AND participate in every firearms positive activity I mentioned above and I have voted in every election (not just presidential) since 1976. I am sure there are others who do the same. I really want to encourage everyone who will read this to step up to the plate and fight like crazy.

I used to be an avid and active NRA member. I am glad I didn't get a life time membership even though I seriously considered it for a long time as I don't agree with many of their past decisions and I think they got their priorities seriously wrong (given the past few years). I own many guns, NFA and non-NFA (as quite a few members here know), and I care about my rights but I do not believe the NRA adequately (in a reasonable, realistic and objective manner does the best for serious gun enthusiasts) represents them. Now I will say they have some excellent programs and I am glad they offer those but their political priorities are sometimes skewed. Sorry just my :twocents:.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The NRA does a LOT of things I don't care for but I'll hold my nose and pay up anyway because they do a lot of things I do care for. More importantly than that though I try to actively lobby my legislators myself, which I'm willing to bet does a lot more good than my NRA donations. I've also been looking into GOA.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Good man CTS. All efforts are needed. I believe like you state, that my personal efforts help the cause of RKBA in addition to organized efforts. If we can only get another 50 to 100 million Constitution loving, law abiding tax payers on board we will not only protect out little black guns, but take back our streets and neighborhoods, and maybe even get to keep a little more of our paychecks. Thanks for stepping forward.

Top Bottom