• ...and so much more!
  • TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Tula is bad...

Tula is wrotten nasty stuff. You should be warned... if you have a glock or an AR, it will explode if you use it. I have and XD, so you can give it to me and feel confident I will survive if I use it. You will be satisfied giving it all to me, and that I saved your life, and digits.

Seriously though... an AR is a battle rifle. IMO, if you cannot shoot steel in it, you can not depend on it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I can't think of a single instance in which this statement would hold true.

I took two pistols with good mags to ECR. Each had been shot more than 300x minimum, probably more. Each had never malfunctioned in the slightest. I used Tula for the very first time in both, and had my first failure to lock back on empty on both guns that day. I thought the ammo may have just been light on powder or whatever, but no. Those magazines still have intermittent problems with locking open with any ammo, but not my other magazines. Draw your own conclusions as to why, but that is what happened. I don't understand it myself. I can't see any problems with the magazines.

If it was one gun I would write it off. I always shoot two or three pistols at once, and this never happened before. It happened to two different model guns on one day, and that is the only reason I cannot believe it was a coincidence. I can't say for sure it was the ammo, of course, but I would rather just not test my luck.

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    In my opinion it depends on the gun. I would feed any
    Of that stuff through an AK but anything else probably
    Not. Many people say steel case is tough on your extractors
    But many people say its BS. Tula is pretty dirty too I don't know
    About the others. I know no steel case rounds will go through
    My guns just my 2 cents tho. You can always reload your brass
    Cases to.:rockwoot:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I took two pistols with good mags to ECR. Each had been shot more than 300x minimum, probably more. Each had never malfunctioned in the slightest. I used Tula for the very first time in both, and had my first failure to lock back on empty on both guns that day. I thought the ammo may have just been light on powder or whatever, but no. Those magazines still have intermittent problems with locking open with any ammo, but not my other magazines. Draw your own conclusions as to why, but that is what happened. I don't understand it myself. I can't see any problems with the magazines.

So what you're saying is that the magazines were not inspected beforehand, and could have very well been messed up before the shoot. :yesway:

This test is complete BS as well. Notice the H&K didn't have any problems with it... so yes, please decide for yourself.

Sometimes the problem is the weapon. Most of the time people will blame steel cased ammo because it makes them feel better than saying they have neglected to properly maintain their own firearm.

Having shot probably close to a thousand rounds of Tula over the past few years (only less because I started reloading) I can honestly say that I've not had a single problem caused by the ammo. I have however seen problems from Brown Bear. That stuff is not pretty and does not shoot well.

To put it briefly, if your firearm will run it... use it. It will not harm your extractor, chamber, magazine, or any other part of the rifle simply because the steel used for the casing is not as hard as the steel used for the gun parts. It's simple.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    It isn't that Tula or any steel cased ammo is bad for your entire gun but, it is very hard on the extractors. I use it but sparingly and I always examine my gun after using it.

Also, with steel cased ammo, be careful you're not shooting corrosive ammo through your gun. This will destroy your barrel.

Last edited:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    It isn't that Tula or any steel cased ammo is bad for you entire gun but, it is very hard on the extractors. I use it but sparingly and I always examine my gun after using it.

Also, with steel cased ammo, be careful you're not shooting corrosive ammo through your gun. This will destroy your barrel.

Have you ever experienced this or is this what you've heard? I have used steel in all of my weapons with no issues whatsoever. As for corrosive, I must disagree. You are more likely to pit your bolt face than ruin a barrel and that is only if you do not properly maintain the weapon after firing.

36fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I bought some steel cased ammo (3 boxes?) in my Taurus Pt 111. I had never had a problem with anything I fed it, until I shot some steel cased ammo (not Tula). It had failure to feeds, failure to ejects, and then the extractor broke and went flying.

Now the only thing I feed steel cased is my Makarov.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I've run steel cased in my vz.58, ruger P89, and my XDm, never had a problem. I've spoken to numerous people that I trust that have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through weapons much more expensive than my own, and they have never had any issues.

YMMV, but I'm going to continue using steel cased ammo in my weapons...

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    If steel case ammo does not run in your gun....your gun is crap!

Ya, the lacquer on the ammo melting and gluing the casing inside the chamber makes the gun crap......surely it isn't the cheap Russian surplus ammo, it's the crap gun.....

I will remind myself of this next time I'm out with my colt and DD.....

Top Bottom