• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iammike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    South Bend, IN.
    OK gang, I would consider myself somewhat of a shotgun/pistol guy but I am looking to get more into rifles, specifically an AK style rifle. From what research I've done thus far, 7.62x39 is a more affordable and versatile round compared to the 556 as well as the rifle itself possbily being more afforable compared to some of the quality AR style rifles out there. Can anyone offer any advice as to some of the different mfg's, models and price ranges out there. I'm basically looking for a range/plinking rifle that can double as a defense/hunting rifle as well.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    VZ 2008. Search around here for it, and google search it. Short and sweet? WAY BETTER THAN THE AK IN EVERY WAY. Period.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Thank you much!

Just to warn you, a bunch of people are going to tell you to get an AK. Probably a WASR-10 or some such. Those guns are ok, but I have done my research, and the VZ 2008 is better overall. You just have to shop around, which isn't that hard to do, since I've done 95% of the work for you. Any questions, ask me.

Iammike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    South Bend, IN.
    Just to warn you, a bunch of people are going to tell you to get an AK. Probably a WASR-10 or some such. Those guns are ok, but I have done my research, and the VZ 2008 is better overall. You just have to shop around, which isn't that hard to do, since I've done 95% of the work for you. Any questions, ask me.

Thank you sir, you are a scholar and a gentlemen! I'll be sure to hit you up if I have any questions. :yesway:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    No chrome lined barrel, $30 each for used magazines. In at least 2 ways it's not better than an AK.
    Non chrome lined is not a bad thing. It has been proven chome lined barrels do nothing to increase accuracy, and add unnecessary cost. As a matter of fact, some of the most accurate rifles in the world have un-chromed bores. The thickness of the chrome is nearly impossible to control, causing variations in the lands and grooves. Some people will argue that chrome lined barrels aid in corrosion resistance. I don't buy that for a second. The only real difference is it's a little bit easier to clean out because it's slicker. Oh, and magazines are $13 USED, or just under $20 NEW, so yeah.
    good point!
    ...:rolleyes:
    I like my Maadi AK, shoots straight, anything I feed it, and puts big holes in stuff. What else could you ask for? :D
    A lot. AK is fine if you like roughly constructed firearms that require more steps than the VZ to reload. They are fine if you don't mind a combat carbine that weighs 8.5 lb loaded. They are fine if you don't mind your empty magazines weighing 3/4 of a lb. I don't care what your poly mags weigh, they are not as strong as the alloy VZ magazines are made out of. The AK is fine as a range gun, or in a situation where masses of people are firing at the same time, and you always have cover fire while you are reloading. You want to call battle proven because every country from East Germany to Vietnam to Central and South America to Africa has used them during one conflict or another. The only problem I have with that is they were/are mass produced, easy to get ahold of, and practically given away to any country willing to look cross eyed at the American Flag. If I didn't have a gun, and I was offered an AK, I would be more than happy to use it. Since I actually have a choice, I decided to do my research, find what I feel is the best option out there, and went with it, instead of letting the internet forums and third world countries do my thinking for my.

I don't want to be a dick here, I am not bashing your AK's fellas, just ask yourself this:
    Did I pick an AK because everybody said I should, or did I pick it after looking at every other system out there, and deciding this was the one for me?

Am I defending the AK because I have already spent the money on one, or because I believe it to be the best rifle on earth?

Last edited:

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    You can get the mags for the VZ-2008 for $13 here and for $11.95 here.
    Oh and ;)

P1010001.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm not bashing your VZ either, I enjoy all guns really. I really don't consider the AK heavy, or the mags, but I am a large guy. And I don't think it takes very long to insert the mag honestly. Granted it's not as easy as my ar, but it's easier than my M1. :): As long as the AK is in good shape function wise I don't see a problem with it. I added an AK to my collection because I like them, not because somebody said they were cool. My :twocents:

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have to agree with RedPitBull. I've done the research as
    well and the CZ/VS seems to be a much better weapon.... I'm hoping to pick one up at the 1500 if $ allows....

Of Course I'm also planning on getting a mini Draco and doing the SBR tango with it.

It all boils down to what you can get, and what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I added an AK to my collection because I like them, not because somebody said they were cool. My :twocents:

:rockwoot: I can live with that. Like I said, I like the AK. I am a GUN FAN. I like all guns better than no guns at all.

Must say also, judging by your user name, you have impeccable taste in vehicles my good man.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    OK gang, I would consider myself somewhat of a shotgun/pistol guy but I am looking to get more into rifles, specifically an AK style rifle. From what research I've done thus far, 7.62x39 is a more affordable and versatile round compared to the 556 as well as the rifle itself possbily being more afforable compared to some of the quality AR style rifles out there. Can anyone offer any advice as to some of the different mfg's, models and price ranges out there. I'm basically looking for a range/plinking rifle that can double as a defense/hunting rifle as well.
    you can't legally hunt in indiana with with an AR or AK round.....
    If you want to get a combat carbine, save your money and get a good carbine the first time, go for an AR! I shoot 7.62x39 and like the caliber, but you'll only be able to get a 3 round burst off at a target, anything after that, youll be off target and a whole day of shooting 7.62, you'll have a sore shoulder. She's a powerful round, but it's recoil causes a tactical issue.....
    The AR round is very close in leathality and is much easier to shoot. If your dead set on 7.62x39, go for a cheap and relible SKS, asnd save up for a good tactical AR!

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    :koolaid:
    you can't legally hunt in indiana with with an AR or AK round.....
    If you want to get a combat carbine, save your money and get a good carbine the first time, go for an AR! I shoot 7.62x39 and like the caliber, but you'll only be able to get a 3 round burst off at a target, anything after that, youll be off target and a whole day of shooting 7.62, you'll have a sore shoulder. She's a powerful round, but it's recoil causes a tactical issue.....
    The AR round is very close in leathality and is much easier to shoot. If your dead set on 7.62x39, go for a cheap and relible SKS, asnd save up for a good tactical AR!
    :koolaid:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I would think he would save a lot of money by going with an AK variant over an AR... Seems to me he could buy a decent AK, mags and ammo for what an entry grade AR goes for alone...

I don't know how weeny your shoulder is, but I can shoot hot surplus 7.62x39 all day in my underfolder with a metal stock and not feel a thing. Then again, maybe that's due to my effective muzzle brake. Either way, I definitively don't see how the 7.62x39's recoil is a tactical issue.

I agree that an SKS would be a good alternative, but I think the AK edges it out some.

Top Bottom