• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    you can't legally hunt in indiana with with an AR or AK round.....
    If you want to get a combat carbine, save your money and get a good carbine the first time, go for an AR! I shoot 7.62x39 and like the caliber, but you'll only be able to get a 3 round burst off at a target, anything after that, youll be off target and a whole day of shooting 7.62, you'll have a sore shoulder. She's a powerful round, but it's recoil causes a tactical issue.....
    The AR round is very close in leathality and is much easier to shoot. If your dead set on 7.62x39, go for a cheap and relible SKS, asnd save up for a good tactical AR!

Sure you can, as long as the guns in pistol format not rifle format. You can legally hunt with an AK Draco Pistol, shoots the 7.62X39 round.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Sure you can, as long as the guns in pistol format not rifle format. You can legally hunt with an AK Draco Pistol, shoots the 7.62X39 round.

I don't think so..........unless the rules have changed that I'm not aware of.

I can't believe a Saiga hasn't been mentioned yet. By far the best AK around. IMO

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I don't think so..........unless the rules have changed that I'm not aware of.

I can't believe a Saiga hasn't been mentioned yet. By far the best AK around. IMO

Yes you can, the 7.62X39 is a legal hunting round as long as its being shot out of a pistol and not a rifle.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I stand corrected. After further looking into. Hell, I didn't know a pistol was made that would shoot a 7.62x39 round. Must have a lil' kick to it!

My profile pic is an AK draco pistol, though i converted it to a rifle so now, it is NOT legal to hunt with because i have added a stock and lengthened the barrel to make it a legal rifle.

you should check out the Draco, they are cheap, fun little guns.

Iammike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    South Bend, IN.
    I want to thank you all for your insight, it has been very helpful. There is one thing though....I'm a noob to this forum so please explain the sheep drinking kool aid?!?!??!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    It pretty much means that the person being talked about is a groupie of one type/brand/caliber/etc of weapon. We call it drinking the (insert type/brand/caliber/etc) Kool-aid.
    There is Glock Kool-aid
    1911 Kool-Aid
    Ruger Kool-aid
    S&W Kool-aid
    AR Kool-aid
    AK Kool-aid
    Mosin Kool-aid
    9mm Kool-aid
    40 S&W Kool-aid
    .45 Kool-aid
    Saiga Kool-aid
    Magpul Kool-aid
    Troy Kool-aid
    Noveske Kool-aid
    Aimpoint Kool-aid
    etc etc etc

Pretty much if you like something, it can be said that you are drinking the kool-aid. If you shoot a buddy's gun, it can be said that you tried the kool-aid. If you preach about how your preference of caliber is better than all others, it can be said that you are serving the kool-aid.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The AK is a great shooting platform, and it's true that you can buy an Arsenal AK for what a builder grade AR will cost you. Saiga's are great if you can do the conversion work your self. My current AK is an old poly-tech AKS762 spiker, and I'm in love with it. As far as the recoil go's, I've honestly never noticed it being bad. Then again, I like FAL's and M1A's.

If you want to shoot on the cheap, look into the AK-74's or other rifles chambered in 5.45. Surplus can be bought cheaper than anything else currently imported, and it is a really freaking nasty round.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Don't forget Mosin and Hi-Point Koolaid. Both seem to be pretty popular drinks around here for some reason.
    I got the mosin, although I did forget the Hi-point. I don't know how though, as I have been meaning to taste the Hi-point Kool-aid for awhile now.

All in all though, I can't cover them all, hence the "etc etc etc"

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I'm a noob to this forum so please explain the sheep drinking kool aid?!?!??!
    In this particular case, I was hearkening back to this that I had just posted;
    Just ask yourself this:
    Did I pick an AK because everybody said I should, or did I pick it after looking at every other system out there, and deciding this was the one for me?

Am I defending the AK because I have already spent the money on one, or because I believe it to be the best rifle on earth?

Mainly because the points he was making, right down to and including the use of the word "tactical" exemplify the type of sheep-like groupthink that causes somebody to buy a specific product based solely on another person or entity's actions, with no regard to its true value or usefulness. Said item is validated in ones mind only because a person or group that is supposedly credible endorses it. A classic example is "If the AR platform is good enough for the U.S. Military, it's good enough for me", or "R. Lee Ermey trusts Glock, I can too". That's not to say either of which is with or without fault, but merely stating that many people choose an item without putting deep thought and research into WHY they chose it. This actually represents a large majority of the population, not just gun owners.
    We are all guilty of it, some to greater or lesser degrees, but when it comes to things that are a matter of life or death (like firearms, survival gear, etc), I try to make sure I am choosing what is right for ME and not what everybody else has or thinks I should buy. Forget NOT that Jim Jones told everybody in his cult where and how to live, what to wear, and what to drink, right down to the Kool-Aid that killed them.

To put it plainly, I was ribbing sentinelrepublic because his post read like the back of a tactical training video cover (or what I would imagine they would print there).

Last edited:

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    the wasr and vz2008 are both good rifles and fun to shoot, out of the box the vz is better but if you want to do anything extra such as stock changes, you would be better off with the wasr. aftermarket parts are limited for the vz.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    aftermarket parts are limited for the vz.

Incorrect. They are as abundant as the options for the AK and AR. Three versions of fixed stocks and a folding stock without adapters, AR adapters to fit any range of AR stocks, AK adapters to fit several different AK stocks, and a plethora of VZ specific fixed and folding stocks, including those that have cheek height and length of pull adjustment. They even make a stock adapter for AR tubes with a rail that you can mount iron sights to, so you can extend your sight radius to 24", much like the tech sights available for the AK. There are around 9 stock styles available total (thats off the top of my head).

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    OK gang, I would consider myself somewhat of a shotgun/pistol guy but I am looking to get more into rifles, specifically an AK style rifle. From what research I've done thus far, 7.62x39 is a more affordable and versatile round compared to the 556 as well as the rifle itself possbily being more afforable compared to some of the quality AR style rifles out there. Can anyone offer any advice as to some of the different mfg's, models and price ranges out there. I'm basically looking for a range/plinking rifle that can double as a defense/hunting rifle as well.

The rounds 7.62x39 or .223/5.56 will cost about the same if we are talking steel cased Russian ammo.
    Performance from either round will get the job done, with the .223 being a tad more accurate when distance is considered.

About the best bang for the bargain buck with the AK line is the WASR-10 imported by Century Arms.
    They can be had for around 400 and will typically perform very well.
    The downside to the WASR is that they are a little rough around the edges in the fit and finish department.

The upsides is that they typically work very well and come into country with a real hammer forged, chrome lined barrel.

And yes, you want a chrome lined barrel. There is a reason the Unites States and Soviet Union required chrome lining/plating with their military barrels.
    The chrome plating resists corrosion (scientific FACT), as well as increasing barrel life and reliability when it comes to extraction.
    The main reason you will see a lack in chrome lining in aftermarket military style barrels is cost. If Century is putting the rifle together, they do it for the least cost possible.
    You will find the same thing with bargain bin type AR's, they aren't chrome lined either (Colt for example plates the inside of the bolt carrier as well as the complete interior of the barrel).

A prime example of not chroming barrels is the Yugoslavians. They chose not to chrome their 7.62 weapons and many have barrels that resemble sewer pipes.

If you want to buy a top of line AK that will look good in the cosmetic department, have reduced recoil (faster follow up shots) from the AK74 compensator I would suggest a SGL series Russian from Aim or KVAR.
    They run about $700, but once again you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Incorrect. They are as abundant as the options for the AK and AR. Three versions of fixed stocks and a folding stock without adapters, AR adapters to fit any range of AR stocks, AK adapters to fit several different AK stocks, and a plethora of VZ specific fixed and folding stocks, including those that have cheek height and length of pull adjustment. They even make a stock adapter for AR tubes with a rail that you can mount iron sights to, so you can extend your sight radius to 24", much like the tech sights available for the AK. There are around 9 stock styles available total (thats off the top of my head).

They might make a handful of VZ accessories, and that's great and all.

But the aftermarket support for the platform is just not their compared to the AK and AR. To say otherwise would be blatantly incorrect.

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but the VZ is a one off platform that does not get much attention internationally or nationally.

Last edited:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    They might make a handful of VZ accessories, and that's great and all.

But the aftermarket support for the platform is just not their compared to the AK and AR. To say otherwise would be blatantly incorrect.

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but the VZ is a one off platform that does not get much attention internationally or nationally.

You're wrong. They are quite possibly the most popular combat carbine in Canada. There are companies from Canada, USA, Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, and Isreal that make VZ parts. Who cares if Crapco or Fagpul don't make parts for the VZ. The parts that are out there cover everything you could want to do to it, are high quality, mil spec, and carry a lifetime warranty against defects. I would rather have a small handful of quality parts to choose from than have to sift through all the garbage out there for the AK and AR in hopes of finding something that won't fail me.

Century isn't the only company putting out the VZ either. Czechpoint imports them, Ohio Ordnance builds them (thats actually the best deal, because that quad rail is a Swiss made piece that retails for $350-400), and CZ was importing them as well.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Back to the OP, if you are wanting something for range/hunting/everything else an AR would not be a bad choice. If the funds are available you can set up a good 5.56mm rifle, ammo is fairly cheap and readily available, and accurate. Then purchase a .458 Socom upper on the side for deer hunting ( I am guessing on that being the hunted animal). Then you have a dual purpose rifle for pretty much any occasion, this is a nice option with the AR. Only thing is the extra upper costs as much as another gun which is why I don't have one yet. :rolleyes: What types of these suggested rifles are available locally to you?

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Back to the OP, if you are wanting something for range/hunting/everything else an AR would not be a bad choice. If the funds are available you can set up a good 5.56mm rifle, ammo is fairly cheap and readily available, and accurate. Then purchase a .458 Socom upper on the side for deer hunting ( I am guessing on that being the hunted animal). Then you have a dual purpose rifle for pretty much any occasion, this is a nice option with the AR. Only thing is the extra upper costs as much as another gun which is why I don't have one yet. :rolleyes: What types of these suggested rifles are available locally to you?

There is no doubt that the AR is the most versatile platform out there. Shoot anything from .22 to .50 with the right upper:rockwoot: (of course certain cartridges do require a dedicated lower if you want it magazine fed; like .308 for example)

Another thing about the AR, if you just buy a lower and assemble it (very easy), and an upper, you will be into it for the same amount of cash (aprox), and quite easily have better parts. The nice thing is the lower is the only part that is controlled by the BATFE, so, like FordTough said, you can have literally a dozen uppers, all in different calibers, and only one lower. If you like the AR, and want 7.62x39 performance, .300 Blackout has that. Of course, then you are stuck paying through the nose for ammo, although it will be a bit cheaper if you reload your own.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom