• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Glad he had you beside him during the event, and glad you had help along the way. We hope the rest of your trip is boring, so to say.

Once all of our well-wished are said and received, we'll start asking if you pushed the flight attendant light, if you asked for anyone's credentials, etc etc. ;)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    after this whole ordeal, we uber'd it to our hotel to check in and relax. Room would be ready at 4. It was 2p. We lounged around but kids wild, then my dad made it there (drove from IN) and he and I went to get meds for my son in case he had another seizure. Took three pharmacies until I found one that had it. My neurology friend recommended Klonopin to have on hand if he had another seizure to reduce recurrence until he got his EEG. The ER doc did not write that, and the pharmacy wouldn't let me write it either. Finally got that taken care of and my wife was losing it with the emotion of everything and now trying to watch two wild kids.

now it's 5pm and our room is still not ready. I call the desk from the airport while returning a car seat they loaned us, and after demanding the room they tell me it's ready. So I text her, she is then told the room is NOT ready :xmad:. So I look for other hotels and find a much better one for less $$ a mile away. It had been booked when we initially looked weeks ago but now they had a room. Then the original hotel gets our room and we say no thanks, off we go to a new start. My wife is about to explode at this point. My dad drives us to the new hotel, which happens to be on Grace Drive. Check in is a breeze, but they let us into the wrong room, fortunately people were not in there but their stuff was.

i took the kids to the balcony to explain we were not going on the cruise. My 6yo handled it great, the 8yo was crushed. He had been looking forward to this for seven months. I spent a lot of time talking about seizures, risk, lack of care in remote areas, etc. none of that matters to a kid with a broken heart. I explained how we lost his sister from something we didn't see as a risk, and we are not going to put him at risk for something as silly as a vacation. At that moment I looked up and a huge bright rainbow was in the sky. This happened in Jamaica when we went to write Grace's name in the sand. I told him maybe that's God and his sister telling him he'll never have a seizure again.

My dad suggested we drive up to Destin tomorrow and stay at the condo we did last time. He didn't know that my best friend and his family are staying there this week on a last-minute trip. When I went on VRBO the exact condo unit we stayed in two weeks after lost Grace was available. My dad and step-mom were with us on that trip too.

i hate what has happened to my family these last 20 months. I don't understand it and I'm watching it destroy my wife. All I can do is look for the positives and signs of hope for the future.

Love your kids first and foremost, the rest is irrelevant. Thanks for listening.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Doc, you and your family are in my prayers...now with special intentions.

You more then most know that anything can happen anywhere at any time. That's life. No matter how well we prepare and protect, life happens. Just my thoughts Doc, but your son could have a seizure on shore or at sea. Prayerfully he will never have another. You've taken great precaution to be ready in the event he does seize again, and all of the sick bays on board cruise ships that I've seen (only 2) are prepared for most emergencies that can occur. Don't let him be disappointed. Take the cruise and enjoy yourselves as you always have. One other thing to consider Doc. He may think it's his fault that the family has had to turn away from the one thing he's looked so forward to for so long. Seven months to an 8 year old is almost forever. Especially when the anticipation has been so strong. No regrets Doc, and no blame to burden ourselves with. If it's still possible take the cruise, and get out of the condo that has so many memories. I think the rainbow meant 'Go for it'.

You know me Doc, and what I've been through. I just passed the one year mark of being single again, and in February it will be 31 years since I lost Michael. No, you never forget, and thank the Lord we never will. Remembering is what makes us human and appreciate life even more, but this you already know.

Your statement"i hate what has happened to my family these last 20 months. I don't understand it and I'm watching it destroy my wife. All I can do is look for the positives and signs of hope for the future" Love your kids first and foremost, the rest is irrelevant." brutally rips at the heart. The loss of a child steals away a large part of our future. It cracks the foundation on which we've entrusted our lives to be built upon, and shakes the entire family violently. No parent should ever have to bury a child. As for trying to understand it Doc, don't spend another day trying to understand the unfathomable. I soon learned that it would be easier to catch my shadow then it would be to understand why it happened and why me. An extremely wise and grizzled man that I know once very eloquently stated "sometimes life serves us up nothing but a crap sandwich, and the only option we have is to choose the condiments we can put on it"

Doc there's a lot more I'd like to say but this is an open forum and perhaps not the most optimum time or place to say it. The one bit of solace that I had when we lost Michael was the knowledge of where he went and where he is still to this day.

Take the cruise Doc.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Prayers going up. Good luck and have fun!

Gee, if only he knew someone with medical training who could be there at all times?. :):

He does, but he wouldn't bring me along. I tried.

Doc, you guys are in my thoughts. If the hotel was on Grace Dr and you saw a rainbow, I would say it's definitely her watching over you guys.

Top Bottom