• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    VAF = Voluntary Appeal File, if someone submits one of these they can get a PIN that acts as another "identifier" and speeds up the process and I've read that people who have gotten the PIN no longer run into delay/deny issues like they may have before having the PIN.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Last one I bought the store clerk read my name and the NCIS person on the other end said yeah he is good to go and let him know if war beaks out I'm coming to his house.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    It couldnt be a close match in name. When they deny you, they are running your soc. Delays could be a close match.
    You can, but are not required to give your SS# when submitting a 4473. He may not have used his are some people don't like to give it out to reduce/prevent Identity theft.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i know a guy who has a lifetime ltch,and a upin,he was denied, the gun store owner even called to confirm that the employee's at the store gave the upin to nics, but yes, he was denied

he went through the appeal process and was approved he does have the handgun

so even the upin is not a guarantee!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not sure what the VAF is. Can you elaberate for me please?

From the INGO FAQ:

I was denied on my Form 4473 NICS check, but I haven't done anything to make me ineligible! Now what do I do?
    When buying from a dealer as an Indiana resident, you will fill out BATFE Form 4473, which is the National Instant Check System. This is the form that the BATFE will use to do your instant background check to ensure that you are eligible to purchase a firearm. The dealer will provide this form and can answer any questions you have about filling it out.
    Once you've completed the form, the dealer will call it in and receive either a "Pass", "Fail", or "Delay". If you pass, you can leave with your firearm as soon as you complete your transaction. If you receive a "Delay", the dealer must sit on the transaction until the BATFE returns a "Pass" or "Fail". If the dealer does not get a response from NICS within 3 business days, he may transfer the firearm on the fourth business day, not counting the day on which the transaction was initiated (many will deny you the sale without an official "Pass", though). That is, if the transaction is initiated on Monday the 1st and you are delayed, NICS has until Thursday the 4th to give a result. If they do not, the dealer may transfer the firearm on Friday the 5th. Note that NICS does not count Saturdays, Sundays or holidays as "business days," even though the gun shop may be open, and NICS may call back with a result on those days. Delays happen for many reasons and you should not be alarmed if you receive one. If your 4473 comes back "Fail" and you know that you have nothing in your history that precludes you from owning a firearm, you may submit a Voluntary Appeals Form (VAF) and receive a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN). This UPIN may be put on future Form 4473's to prevent any confusion or delays.

Here is the form for the VAF:
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...plete-process2

Also, here are a couple of other useful links from our forums:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/genera...me_way_up.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/genera...et_a_upin.html

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    VAF = Voluntary Appeal File, if someone submits one of these they can get a PIN that acts as another "identifier" and speeds up the process and I've read that people who have gotten the PIN no longer run into delay/deny issues like they may have before having the PIN.
    Wonder if a TWIC card is good to use if there is a problen?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    You can, but are not required to give your SS# when submitting a 4473. He may not have used his are some people don't like to give it out to reduce/prevent Identity theft.

It couldnt be a close match in name. When they deny you, they are running your soc. Delays could be a close match.

Maybe you should talk to Immigration too?

I have been delayed, had my passport taken, been pulled out of line going through Customs and forced to miss flights because I have a common name.

It's the same government isn't it?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    You can be denied due to an open bench warrant due to traffic tickets, for delinqent child support, alomony, or student loan. Even back taxes can cause you to be denied.

Did you ask for the NICS number, I am told with that you can contact the FBI and they will tell you why you where denied.

Top Bottom