Issues with full-auto stamp on semi AR lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Does anyone have any knowledge of if there is a problem with having the full-auto stamp on an AR-15 lower that doesn't have the third pin and the selector cannot flip back to it?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't know that it would matter, but the ATF is picky. You could engrave a picture of a rocket coming out of the end of the barrel - the engraving itself doesn't mean the weapon is capable of it - that said - I'm not a lawyer. Maybe the ATF does have laws governing what can or can't be engraved on a firearm.

I would think what would be important is what the firearm is actually capable of doing and not what is engraved on it but that's speculation on my part.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think there would be an issue (with this thread itself) with what is meant by stamp. The "tax stamp" that is paid after the bureaucratic colonoscopy to get a Class III firearm legally does not actually, physicly attach to the receiver. The receiver itself is either full-auto (C3) capable or it isn't. If it is, even if it's reconfigured as semi-auto only, it's still capable of being readily converted back to full-auto use legally, so it's still a C3 firearm, even in a semi-only configuration.

Now, if by stamp, you mean the engraved images and lettering around an AR's selector switch which may or may not indicate select-fire capabilities, no. There is absolutely nothing of a legal or bureaucratic nature that prevents people from selling fully serial numbered receivers ready to be built into a semi-auto AR-15 by anyone who can pass a NICS check, nor prevents anyone finishing an 80% lower into a 100%, fully finished, serial numberless lower for a similar semi AR-15 build, from adding the full-auto select-fire iconography and installing a trigger group which allows the selector switch to be flipped thereto.

Depending on the trigger group installed, flipping a legal, semi-auto only selector switch to the third position may either 1) effect the same as placing it in the safe position, 2) effect the same as placing it in the single fire position, 3) result in the firearm being damaged upon attempts to fire it, or 4) not be physicly possible. As long as putting your semi AR's selector switch into the burst-mode or full-auto position, as long as that cannot render it into a configuration that will allow for more than one round to be discharged per one pull of the trigger, as far as the ATF is concerned, you're golden.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    CathyInBlue you are way overthinking this. I am just referring to to the letters stamped into side of the lower. Just like the "Safe", "Fire" or the pictograms.

The ATF being picky beyond the legal written laws is why I asked the question. From what I have read I don't see a problem but just asking the forum if anyone had any experience one way or the other.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ah, mine has the auto engravings - don't need a tax stamp to have it though as it cannot function in auto.

I thought you were referring to it being otherwise stamped/engraved as 'full auto' in another location other than the selector.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ah, mine has the auto engravings - don't need a tax stamp to have it though as it cannot function in auto.

I thought you were referring to it being otherwise stamped/engraved as 'full auto' in another location other than the selector.

I thought he meant he had a tax stamp on it, i.e., that it is registered as FA but not FA capable, which is a problem we'd all like to have.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    When I saw "stamp" I thought as in - stamped into the receiver. Some markings are stamped, some are laser etched, some are engraved mechanically, etc. That said - I do see why one would think the tax stamp in general but not in the context it was presented.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    "Roll mark" would have been a better term and no, shouldn't be a problem at all. I've even seen people with replica M16 stamp a fake 3rd pin hole to make a rifle look more authentic. Had me fooled at first. The safety even flipped all the way to the happy position but only one boolit came out. :(

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I thought he meant he had a tax stamp on it, i.e., that it is registered as FA but not FA capable, which is a problem we'd all like to have.

hehe that would be nice to have the tax stamp already with it then I could just convert it, but sadly no I can't do anything close.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CathyInBlue you are way overthinking this. I am just referring to to the letters stamped into side of the lower. Just like the "Safe", "Fire" or the pictograms.

The ATF being picky beyond the legal written laws is why I asked the question. From what I have read I don't see a problem but just asking the forum if anyone had any experience one way or the other.

Reread my post, starting at paragraph two.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Spikes Tactical receivers have: "SBR" serial no's, "Multi" caliber designations, and 3-shot auto icons stamped into the frame. AFAIK, they've never had an issue with the ATF.

The law requires a serial number if it is a manufactured product.

KISS

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Absolutely all of these are completely legal on any semi-auto lower receiver, whether purchased as a partial lower, stripped lower, complete rifle, or finished from an 80% lower.

Traditional Semi-Auto Text
    Safe, Fire, <none>
    AR15_Lower%20Receiver_Stripped1.JPG

Traditional Semi-Auto Icons
    <Bullet-X>, <Bullet>, <none>
    ar15-lower-receiver-for-sale-stripped-b.jpg

Traditional Select-Fire Text
    Safe, Semi, Auto
    0003.jpg

Traditional Select-Fire Icons
    <Bullet-X>, <Bullet>, <Bullets>
    DSC01972.jpg

Novelty Select-Fire Zombie Text
    Live, Dead, Undead
    DSC01974.jpg

Novelty Select-Fire Smilies
    :(, :), :D
    emote_b.jpg

Novelty Semi-Auto Text
    Harmony, Discord, <none>
    ar15markings3.jpg

Novelty Select-Fire Text
    Safe, Semi, Giggle
    a_9unk.jpg

Or, you could even go the abstract route and finish your lower with no selector labels whatsoever, but I couldn't find any finished lowers like that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom