• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    Installed a Bad lever on my Colt AR and am running into some issues. When I manually actuate the bolt catch I can't so much as breath and the bolt comes slamming forward unintended. Took it to the range and this made for a very frustrating day as I would go for a mag change and the bolt would fly forward on the empty chamber meaning i'd have to charge the rifle instead of just hitting the release. Any thoughts
    ? Rifle was flawless before Bad lever install.
    :ingo::ingo::ingo:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    It sounds like the amount of interference between the catch and the bolt is too small. The minute extra weight of the lever is causing it to slip off and go into battery. Try a different BCG and see if that helps. If not than if you have another bolt catch change it out.
    Dan

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It sounds like the amount of interference between the catch and the bolt is too small. The minute extra weight of the lever is causing it to slip off and go into battery. Try a different BCG and see if that helps. If not than if you have another bolt catch change it out.
    Dan
    :+1:
    Agreed, I thought the same thing.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    You can look into the back of the chamber opening and see how much of the bolt catch is catching the bolt. I would see if there is a difference between the amount holding the bolt open when the lever is installed vs when uninstalled. It might be the BAD lever interfering with the catch's operation.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Millions of troops have used the AR/M16 series rifles for years without a BAD lever, take it off, learn to use the rifle, and all will be well!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Millions of troops have used the AR/M16 series rifles for years without a BAD lever, take it off, learn to use the rifle, and all will be well!
    I was one of them. Never had a BAD lever, ran across a couple BAD magazines on the range :D

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    well, was never in the Armed Service (I did want to but wasn't medically fit enough) but I bought one of these and took it off before I even tried it at the range. It didn't feel needed. I wasn't able to make it handle the way it was supposed to help me so I went back to tried and true. Not sure if they are even worth trying to sell.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    well, was never in the Armed Service (I did want to but wasn't medically fit enough) but I bought one of these and took it off before I even tried it at the range. It didn't feel needed. I wasn't able to make it handle the way it was supposed to help me so I went back to tried and true. Not sure if they are even worth trying to sell.
    I've never found the advantage to one? I have one on a SIG M400, only because it came there, the other rifles are sans BAD levers.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Installed a Bad lever on my Colt AR and am running into some issues. When I manually actuate the bolt catch I can't so much as breath and the bolt comes slamming forward unintended. Took it to the range and this made for a very frustrating day as I would go for a mag change and the bolt would fly forward on the empty chamber meaning i'd have to charge the rifle instead of just hitting the release. Any thoughts
    ? Rifle was flawless before Bad lever install.
    :ingo::ingo::ingo:
    I have one on the Colt in my avatar, and it is very sensitive. I've had to peek a couple of times to see if there is a round in the chamber after it closes on its own when putting a mag in. The round was always there.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I think this is also a training issue. It's a neat concept on paper, but in practice, it takes a bit of time to get used to having an extra piece of metal stuck right inside your trigger guard area. If you got large fingers or wearing gloves, you might set it off. I've one installed on it and only used it for clearing malfunctions and not actually for reloads. Doing quick drills and classes, I have yet to accidentally set it off on an empty chamber by accident but because of how it can be set off with a bit of pressure, I can see it happening, but it's best to work around it. If you think your problem is the lever itself, then take it off

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The only time I ever wished I had a BAD lever was at an Appleseed; it would have helped me stay in position during mag changes. It wasn't a big enough deal for me to get one.

To fix the OP's issue, I'd try a new bolt catch, or maybe just a stronger/fresher bolt catch spring.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Hmmm, never had that issue on mine. I've had it on there for about 7 years or so. I run a Redimag and this makes operating the bolt release easier.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    Wow, this has me wondering if I should install it or just leave it off. I'm currently purchasing items for my first at build.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Its like any other accessory you can add to your gun. The old school guys hate them and the gadget guys like them. No part will ever make anyone happy. As mentioned before if you're gonna use one train with it and get used to it. Its a $15 dollar part, buy it, try it, and pitch it if you dont like it.

I've had the same BAD lever on my gun for 4 years now and have never broke a bolt catch. I just put another one on my work gun. I like them and I use them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom