• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    As I walked out of the school today I realized it was perfect fishing weather. I drove home and loaded up the jeep. My dad gave me directions to a bridge in Kokomo that I had been wanting to fish around. It was actually only like 3 miles or so from the school and my house.

Upon arrival, I noticed it seemed like the water was a little low. However, it was clear as glass! I could see all the snags (and cover for fish to be near!). However, I did manage to lose 2 lures today :/ Lost my crawfish and frog lures. My dad always told me, "Son, don't worry about losing the lures. I'm not mad about it. It ain't fishin' if you ain't losin' lures."

Saw a couple of smaller fish, didn't get any bites though. :(
    I will be back next time it is warm though! I'm looking for a fishing buddy if anyone in Kokomo is interested. It seems like it will turn out to be a good panfish site.

Took some pictures;

2012-03-06164842.jpg

2012-03-06164857.jpg

2012-03-06164902.jpg

2012-03-06165003.jpg

There was some more water to fish in the opposite direction of the bridge (seen in 3rd picture, those are the railroad tracks, not the bridge), but I didn't bring the right tools for the job. Read; machete and extra boots/socks.

A bad day fishing is better than a good day at school.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    With shallow gin-clear water it is going to be tough getting anything to hit unless the lure is natural color and small. In situation like yours, use plastic baits so they don't cost as much when you loose one. Plastic tube baits or craw imitations would work but go slooow.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I know what you mean about losing lures. I have just about gotten to the point where I throw a couple of rattle traps in the water first thing (no line) to just get it out of the way.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    My favorite spot is at Pipe Creek Falls just SE of Peru. Panfish heaven. Don't leave out the reservoir in Peru and the spillway where the river starts. Great cat fishing over there.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    You should be able to catch a few crappies from the bank out at Greentown. There is an old submerged gravel pit there. Park at the northwest end of the bridge then walk about 200 yards north of hwy. 22 along the old path with the gate blocking it. You will recognize the square corner where the old pit starts. Bank is all riprap along there. The old stumps and laydowns hold fish this time of year.
    I also hear they are getting lots of crappies out around the highway bridge that crosses the Missessinewa reservoir at Red Bridge. May go out there today, myself. It will be too windy for the boat, but can bank fish there on south side. High banks should block the wind fairly well....

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'd love to be out doing some crappie fishing. Might have to do that next week. But I was always told "It ain't fishin if you ain't drunk".

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Went fishing again today, this time at a different location.
    Caught nothing, but I didn't lose a lure, I actually found one!
    Pictures to come later of the things I saw. Found a live turtle

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I think about half of the lures I have in my tackle box were foundlings.

I used to fish the ponds on Ft Hood a bunch when stationed there. Most people fished from the banks, but I literally kept a 10' John boat with trolling motor in my pick up bed. I would stop at one of about four little 2 to 3 acre ponds on my way home nearly every evening, put in and fish for a few hours. Almost always found a plug or spinner bait that someone broke off. Saved me a ton of money! :D
    Gawd, I miss the top water action I would always get a dusk!!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Those pics scream slip bobber to me.

If I still lived in the area I would be right there with you BUT I do know of spots within an hour or less of you.

oldschoolevo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    ANDERSON
    looks like a nice spot. im in anderson and wish i could find some good spots around. but i havnt found much around here. if anyone know of any old farm ponds or just good spots to go around anderson please let me know

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I'm wanting to pick up some waders, anyone recommend a decent set that a high schooler can afford? :)

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    Hate waders, I like a long pair of cargo shorts and some sort of water shoes and have been fishing that way for years. Even with the water cold it's usually not a problem.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Hate waders, I like a long pair of cargo shorts and some sort of water shoes and have been fishing that way for years. Even with the water cold it's usually not a problem.

Please jump in tomorrow with your cargo shorts and water shoes, then tell us how your experience negates hypothermia...

Top Bottom