• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    Has anyone else experienced this, a friend of mine said that they went to visit a mutual friend in jail and was told it was $6 dollars to visit an inmate. This was Miami county, today. I wish that there was a desk reference book of laws, I googled and found nothing.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Tagged for interest.

Edit: Nevermind. Thought you were talking about Miami Correctional Facility run by IN DOC.

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Has anyone else experienced this, a friend of mine said that they went to visit a mutual friend in jail and was told it was $6 dollars to visit an inmate. This was Miami county, today. I wish that there was a desk reference book of laws, I googled and found nothing.

If they don't want to pay they don't have to visit. It takes money to run correctional facilities and inmates don't pay room and board.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    If they don't want to pay they don't have to visit. It takes money to run correctional facilities and inmates don't pay room and board.
    Umm....isnt that tax money? You are missing my question, I have never visited anyone in jail, I just didnt that they charge. Do all jails charge? what about prisons? I read prison inmates do make road signs, i suppose it would be a source of revenue.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    What a giant load of crap!!!

Maby they should stop filling the jails with pot smokers and
    people who cant pay bills.

Just another reason why this country is swirling down
    the toilet.

Jimmy

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Umm....isnt that tax money? You are missing my question, I have never visited anyone in jail, I just didnt that they charge. Do all jails charge? what about prisons? I read prison inmates do make road signs, i suppose it would be a source of revenue.

Couldn't tell you, I have never visited an inmate.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

the toilet.

Jimmy

Pot smokers and poor people are the only members of society that make up inmate populations? I never knew.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Last time I was at the jail it cost me about $300 to see my dad, but he got to come home with me afterwords.

Also, Lawrence County Jail requires EXACT change.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have never been charged a dime by INDOC facilities. You DO have to fill out a raft of paperwork, and the inmate MUST include you on his list of allowable visitors. That all took some time to get completed. You CAN leave money to be credited to the inmate commissary account, but I have never been charged anything to visit.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I knew someone that had a wife in jail. When he would go see her he had to give her money for food, toiletries, everything. He was not allowed to give her anything other than money. She had to buy anything she needed at marked up prices from the facility. Sounds like someone is getting rich.

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana

the toilet.

Jimmy

If you are just smoking pot or you can't pay your bills, you are not going to be spending time in jail. Violating probation or Court conditions given to you to avoid jail time due to substance abuse, then yes. You will find yourself in jail.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I didn't see anything from Miami County about a fee for an in-person visit. Looks like they may have those video visits that would cost.

I've never paid to visit a detainee, but then again, I've only ever done it in a "professional" capacity.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    The last time I visited a jail 30 years ago it cost me dearly. It was an uninvited visit and alcohol was involved.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    I guess they get one free visit/week add'l visits cost,$11.50 for 50 mins.and every time you go you scan your dl/id with the laser light and fill out the field req'd on a computer, like the new DMV set-up. even if you only want to put money on the 'books'....

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Pot smokers and poor people are the only members of society that make up inmate populations? I never knew.

I see your point, of course I didn't mean that those were the only people in jail.

What I did mean is that all law enforcement, courts and jails waist resources dealing with these people
    when that should be directed at more important issues.

Why does the US have more people by percentage in jail than anywhere else on earth?

Jimmy

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Why does the US have more people by percentage in jail than anywhere else on earth?

Because Americans are so entitled that they think they can choose which laws they have to follow and which they can ignore. I really don't give a rats behind if you don't consider smoking pot to be a "real" crime, it is, and if you get caught doing it bye bye you go.

It's not exactly a hidden fact that it's illegal...

Top Bottom