• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I went with the Shield. I'm NOT a plastic gun fan but I am getting older and the old 1911s are getting heavier every day.
    When I got the Shield off a member here (TriggerTime) it was like new. New meaning scratchy trigger that you could hear grind. That was fixed immediately ( firing group polished out and sear angle addressed) and now I'm carrying a small 9mm that's easy to shoot and will drive tacks at 15 yards with my old eyes.
    I've been running 115 and 124 gr up until today. I put 20 rds of Federal 147gr HST Tactical Law Enforcement through it. It fed them perfectly. Accuracy was excellent BUT the pistol has a high center of gravity and those +P 147grainers let me know I was dealing with a lighter gun. BUT...they went where aimed and that's the whole idea. IF your gun will handle the HST LE ammo I say use it. It did some major damage on canned goods and a frozen roast. Scientific research at it's cheapest.
    The Shield is easy to conceal, fast, and the sights are easy to pick up in almost any light condition. Night sights will help but I'm still debating on a full alloy 1911. IF I carry the Shield it will get night sights for sure. I'm using a cheap holster right now. Blackhawk Sportster #63. Good owb concealment and fairly comfortable.
    For less than $400 MSRP you can't go wrong with the shield.

PackinPreacher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Michigan's Thumb
    I'm surprised that the only mention of the Kahr CM9 is a negative. I've been carrying one in addition to Glock 26 and 19 and really am comfortable with it in all respects. Had a G43 but traded it for a G19 Gen. 4.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I'm surprised that the only mention of the Kahr CM9 is a negative. I've been carrying one in addition to Glock 26 and 19 and really am comfortable with it in all respects. Had a G43 but traded it for a G19 Gen. 4.

The Kahr carries well but I don't like the trigger at all. My wife is very good with her CM9 but would like something with a different trigger.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've carried a PM9 and a CW40 in the past...I like the Kahr triggers but they do take a lot of getting used to! For some reason the Shield triggerguard is very irritating to my middle finger when I fire one of them, M&P Compact, not so much. I've never had good luck with XD's and I've owned 3 of them!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    New issue of Guns and Ammo came in the mail today...great article on a 10 gun shootout between current single stack 9mm's! They tested each gun with 650 rounds and documented ALL malfunctions. The winners? Believe it or not, the Taurus 709 Slim, the Walther PPS and the Kahr CM9. All had zero malfunctions over 650 rounds. Surprised the hell out of me too! LC9 Pro and the Shield were in the running also.

I have a PF-9 that my father now carries, it has been dead nuts reliable. My current small 9 is a older LC9 (hammer version).
    I take what those magazine articles say with a grain of salt. Usually their test results are skewed a little based on who has the most ads in the magazine.;)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Chose the Keltec P-11 (12+1 with optional flush-fitting mags) for the greater capacity in very nearly the same size package as the PF9.

Know a boatload of people that own P-11's and SCCY CPX's (mostly, the CPX-2). Don't personally know anyone that's had any sort of 'issue' with them.

MattBrewer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    Indy
    Glock 43 would be my choice. I've got a Kahr CM9 that I like pretty well, but will pickup a 43 when the $ gets right.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    For me it is the Kahr CW9. Light weight, small but not that small.
    Believe it or not, I have a friend who won't trade his Taurus PT 709 for anything.
    I had a shield, but it just wasn't for me. I had no problems with it.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    For me it is the Kahr CW9. Light weight, small but not that small.
    Believe it or not, I have a friend who won't trade his Taurus PT 709 for anything.
    I had a shield, but it just wasn't for me. I had no problems with it.

I believe it, lol. I carried one from 2010 until recently and now carry a...wait for it... Taurus PT 111 G2. This little baby is a gem, say what you will. It's basically a double stack 709 slim, but a very thin 12+1 double stack.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I just picked up an LC9S and really like it. Recoil was surprisingly light even with 147 gr self defense loads. Accurate enough for a cc. Trigger was adequate as well. I'm trying to remember that it's not a target pistol and that it won't have the accuracy nor the trigger of my full sized pistols.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I have a P11, and have had since probably 2008, had an issue with the sights when I got it, they were way off elevation. I sent it in, did NOT pay for shipping, so I dont know what the previous guy was talking about paying 40 bucks to ship it to them, they sent me a label, and I dropped it off. They called me and told me they sighted it in at 10 yards with a new taller rear sight. I got it back and it was right on at 10 yards. I was happy with the service I got from keltec, and I guess for the first time in my life I was lucky. Now for the gun itself, it was an impulse buy, it was on sale for like 220, and I wanted something in my pocket when I was kayaking off the beaten path without worrying about losing a more expensive gun. But its very heavy and thick for its size, with a smooth but long heavy trigger pull. I should have went single stack, and I will someday. Believe it or not, these small guns serve a purpose, and fit a niche in the gun world, that compact and larger guns, or more expensive guns just do not.
    Last round count was several years ago and it was 800, Im sure its near 1000 by now, though I only shoot it once a month or so, and its got finish wear on the inside of the slide, but that comes with use. Other than that, its been flawless, it has always gone bang.

I love the little DB9, but I am a fan of the Kahr as well. As was stated above, if you can find a rental range with some of these small guns for rent, do it. Usually, for me anyway, one of them will sorta speak to you. You will shoot it better, and sometimes not know why. Thats why I went glock, I hated the fanbois, and the hype of the brand, but It just felt so right, and I shot it very well, and I had to have it.

Top Bottom