• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Ok here is my first real shot at writing since high school. It is not exactly a SHTF story but it sort of is. Please feel free to make comments and suggestions. I really need a better title. I have written more, but I will wait to post it in case I need to make major rewrites.

1 April 2013

It started like any other weekday. Mike woke up a littlelate and was rushing to work like most days. Everything seemed normal when hegot to work, and the morning went on without incident until around 9:30. Mikegot a call from Sam a sergeant in his reserve unit. They had just had trainingon Saturday so Mike assumed he had forgotten something at the armory when hesaw his caller id.
    “Hey what’s up Sam?”

“Mike you need to turn on a TV right now. There is somethinggoing on.”

Mike did not have a TV at the office so he did the next bestthing and went to Fox News on the internet. The banner at the top of the screensaid something about a military presence at several National Guard armories around the country. Mike thought it was odd.
    “Sam I see something in the Fox News ticker but it does not make sense. There is nothing scheduled today that I know of at our armory. We just had training on Saturday.”

“Mike I know. What do you think is going on?” Sam sounded a little concerned.
    “Sam meet me at the old bowling alley a couple of blocks from the Fairfield armory in 10 minutes. We need to do a quick check and see what is going on.” Mike hung up the phone and took off for his car.

Ten minutes later Mike pulled into the bowling alley parking lot and Sam was already there looking a little nervous.
    “Sam you look like you have seen a ghost.”

“Mike I just saw two cars go down the road toward the armory full of soldiers. They were not our soldiers though. I think they were Chinese.”
    "Ihope you didn’t bring me all the way out here for an April Fools joke.” Mike said half-jokingly.

“Mike I know what I saw. We should be really careful here.”Sam did not look like he was kidding.
    “Alright let’s get to it.”

They walked towards the armory and when they got closer they slipped into the woods behind the large concrete and steel building. Sam had brought some binoculars and what he saw was not good. At least 50 Chinese troops surrounded the building. Several were working on sandbagging machine gun emplacements and building what looked like rudimentary defensive positions.
    “That’s not good.” Mike said.

Sam did not have to say much. “What’s the plan lieutenant?”Sam only called Mike that when they were at their monthly guard training sessions.

“We need to get a hold of the captain ASAP. Let’s get out of here and let’s not let them see us.”
    By the time they got back to the bowling alley Mike had a plan. “Those guys at the armory looked like they were expecting a fight. If they are securing all of the armories that way we are in trouble. All of our heavy weapons are in there. Between the National Firearms Act and Hughes Amendment, we have basically no machine guns outside of those armories and what is on other military bases. Go home and gear up Sam. Call anyone else you can think of from our unit or even anyone you know who ever served. In fact if you know anyone you would trust in a fight call them too. I think the **it is about to hit the fan.”

Mike called his wife and told her to get the kids and get home. He sped home thinking thoughts that a US citizen should not have to think about in the safety of his own country. Halfway home his phone rang. Captain Evans was on the other end. “Mike I got your message but it sounded like you’ve been drinking. “

“I wish it was just a joke Captain that would be better.The armory is locked down by what look like Chinese troops. I would guess about fifty. They are sandbagging and generally fortifying the building. They were driving in normal cars and trucks. They had AKs and light machine guns.”

“Mike the National Guard has people in that building 24/7,and they have not called or anything. Don’t you think we would have heard something by now over official channels if what you are telling me is true?” The captain was trying to reason with Mike for some unknown reason. In his 37 years Mike had seen a lot of people that had trouble dealing with news that seemed impossible and indeed what he was telling the captain seemed impossible two hours ago.

“Captain the US has a large amount of military weapons stored in National Guard armories like ours across the country. Most of our active duty military is spread around the world and they have their weapons with them on their person or on base in Afghanistan, Iraq, Japan, etc. You know civilians cannot afford machine guns, and they are not allowed to buy anything else other than a semi-auto AR15 or AK-47.” Mike felt like some militia nut job saying this, but it dawned on him that maybe not all of those militia types were nut jobs.

“Alright Mike I will call some people and see what I can find out.” Mike was still not sure Evans believed him.

“Thanks Captain. Sergeant Meyers and I are going to round up who we can in case this is what it looks like.” Mike hoped this might spur the Captain to quicker action.

“Be careful Mike and please don’t go marching around town in full combat gear.” Evans hung up the phone. Mike was home five minutes later. Mike was a gun enthusiast and he had a nice little collection at home. He also had his Guard uniform and boots but no helmet or other gear. That was all in the armory. No one had ever thought that a foreign army might somehow get to the armory before the locals could. Mike wondered how the Chinese had gotten into the country fully armed without anyone noticing. Mike heard what sounded like fully automatic gunfire in the distance and it sounded like it might be an AK. Most US combat veterans would be able to pick out AK47 gun fire from any other sound on earth. There is something unique about that weapon and being shot at by it seemed to instill that knowledge into just about every US veteran since the Vietnam War. Mike had served on active duty between the Gulf wars and was now a member of a Guard unit. He had somehow only managed to go to Iraq once and had not seen any action while there.

Mike put on his combat fatigues and hat and loaded up with 8 magazines and his favorite AR15. Just then the phone rang. “Mike did you hear that? I know you wanted me to stay out of trouble. I got over to Smith’s house,and we were getting ready to head out. We saw a Chinese patrol get out of a car on his street. They put a map on the hood and were looking around and pointing a couple of different directions. We set up an ambush and took them out. A couple of them got a few shots off before we put them down. Once we were sure they were dead we took weapons and ammo off of the bodies. They had maps and a list of all PD, guard, reserve, active duty, and retired military in the area. We think they were headed to Smith’s house and got lost in his neighborhood. This is bad.”

“I was hoping we had more time. Meet me at the gun shop on 3rd street in 20 minutes. Try to avoid more patrols.” Mike tried not to sound too nervous on the phone.

Mike called his wife and told her to get the kids to her parents house and not to come home. His name was also on that list the Chinese had, and he did not want his family getting caught in the middle of a Chinese patrol. He gathered up some of his families clothes and ran them over to his in-laws house. He left them on the front porch and took off for the gun shop.

Copyright windellmc 2012

Last edited:

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    OK, so far, so good. Might want to slow your typing...a lot of your words are running together. Story is off to a good start, however. Waiting for the next chapter.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    little hard to read due to the typing errors, but sound like a good start to a good story.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Same comments here. Words running together, but other than that it seems like it's going to be a great story!
    Looking forward to the next installment.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    1 April - The gunshop

Tim’s Guns was tucked into a small strip mall behind a carwash and on a Monday around lunch the area was pretty much void of any activity. Today was a little different. A block from the shop Mike saw a blue Toyota Camry with four dead bodies laying on the street one by each door. The car looked like it had been machine gunned. They looked like more of the Chinese soldiers, and they were missing their weapons.

Mike rolled up to the door of the gun shop and saw Corporal Smith standing guard outside. “Smith I thought I told the sergeant to stay out of trouble on the way over here?”

“Sorry lieutenant we did not do that. The gun shop must have been on another list for the Chinese to hit. Sam is inside with Tim. Tim has never actually shot anyone before. He is pretty shook up. Looks like that dealer sample full auto M4 came in handy. Good thing we called him on the way over and told him to keep an eye out for trouble.”

Mike went inside and found Tim sitting on the floor still holding his M4. The barrel was still smoking a little. Sam was telling Tim it was okay and that it was him or those soldiers, and that they would have not hesitated to shoot him first without asking questions. Some people handle that kind of stress better than others. Tim was finding out how he handled it.

“Tim I know you just made it through a tough situation, but we need to load up everything in this shop that we can and get it to a secure location. We are probably not going to be able to get to the armory and you are the only gun shop in town. There will be more Chinese here soon. Have you heard from Bob and Scott?”

Bob and Scott were Tim’s part time employees. Both had served in the war on terror. Scott had survived the initial assault into Iraq and later Fallujah. Bob had spent a lot of time chasing Al-Queda through the mountains of Afghanistan. Mike had a feeling he would need both of them before the end of the day.

“I’ll call them.” Tim said as he stood up. “I imagine Bob is asleep since he works 3rd shift at the plastics plant. Scott is probably at work.”

“Sergeant we need to get this store emptied. Got any ideas for a secure location to set up HQ?” Mike asked Sam.

“I don’t have a good place.” Sam said. “Did you talk to the captain yet?”

“Yeah I think he thinks I am off my rocker. Maybe he heard some of those gun shots or saw the Chinese patrols. He was going to go through chain of command and try to find out what is going on.” Mike said.

“Maybe he is sitting in between two smelly Chinese soldiers in the back of a Ford Explorer. They have those lists and probably went after the higher officers first. I did get a hold of most of the enlisted in our unit. I told them to meet us at that old school in the woods. None of us live around there so hopefully the Chinese will avoid that area for a while.” Sam said.

Mike thought that school would be a good place to start. “It sounds like we have our HQ location. Let’s load up.”

20 minutes later Bob showed up looking like he literally jumped out of bed into his old uniform. He looked ready to go hiking in Afghanistan. He walked over to where Tim’s M4 was laying on the store counter, unclipped his AR15 dropped it on the counter and picked up the M4 and clipped it into his sling. He then went behind the counter and pulled out some dusty looking cardboard boxes and started loading ammunition from those old boxes into brand new empty magazines he took off the wall behind the counter.

“Hi Bob”. Mike was a little surprised at how quickly Bob was in action. He was all business. Mike had never seen this side of Bob when he had come into the shop before. “Bob what was your last rank when you were active duty.”

Bob looked Mike straight in the eyes and said “Lieutenant we don’t really have a traditional rank per se. Sergeant is close enough. Got a plan?”

“Sergeant I intend to load up anything useful from this shop and regroup at the old school. It is out of the way enough that I don’t think the Chinese will get out that way for a while. Got any ideas of your own?” Mike was hoping Bob had something.

“Well I figure since you are here in uniform but without a helmet or anything other than a civilian AR that means the Chinese have already captured the armory. Since you seem to be running things I also assume your commanding officers are MIA. Given what I saw outside here, and the bunch that I finished off a mile from my house I am guessing they are captured or killed by now.” Bob said this as nonchalantly as if he was reading a story out of the Sunday paper. “I think regrouping in a safer location ASAP is a good plan to start. How bad was it at the armory? We could really use a machine gun and some support weapons.”

“There were about fifty Chinese at the armory and they were digging machine gun nests. That was 3 hours ago.” Mike thought that seemed like 5 minutes ago. “It has been two hours since I talked to my Captain, and he was going to try to find out what was going on. I think he was pretty sure I had been drinking.”

Just then the shop phone rang. It was Scott. He had made it home just ahead of a Chinese patrol and was pinned down by three enemy soldiers. It had been four but they were not ready for him to fight back. It looked like that trip to the school would have to wait. Sam’s phone rang next and Tom and Randy, two brothers from Mike’s guard unit, were also pinned down in their house by a Chinese patrol. Neither brother had prior military experience and had just joined the reserve unit 9 months ago. They had not yet finished their full year of monthly training. Both had spent most of their 26 years hunting so they knew how to move in the woods and how to shoot. There was no telling how they would hold up under combat stress.

“Okay as much as I hate to do this I think we may need to split up. Scott lives 5 miles from the Wilson brothers, and I am worried the Chinese will reinforce before we can get them out. Bob do you think you can bail Scott out and get back to the school?”

“Can do lieutenant.” Bob was out the door in a flash carrying more mags and ammo than seemed humanly possible.

“Tim I want you and Corporal Smith to finish loading up and secure the school. If you know anyone else that can help call them and get them briefed on the situation. Avoid the enemy where possible. Look for some radios too but assume the enemy can listen in. I think the phones will be down soon.”

“Sam we need to go bail out the Wilsons. I know they can shoot okay, but I don’t know what they will do with bullets coming at them. For that matter I don’t know what I will do. How are you holding up?” Mike was not sure how Sam was doing. He had been in the initial invasion of Iraq but that was all Mike knew.

“I’m ok Lt. We shot at some Iraqis when we went into Iraq, but I mostly just ran the M2 and shot at cars and some APCs at long range. The training did kick in during that ambush though. I think we need to get close to the Wilson's and go in on foot. Driving straight up to their house is probably not a good idea.” With that Sam jumped into his truck and Mike his car, and they drove off down Main street towards the Wilson’s part of town.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    OK, so far, so good. Might want to slow your typing...a lot of your words are running together. Story is off to a good start, however. Waiting for the next chapter.

Excellent story line I am a guard member. Please continue now I have 5 of these I have subscribed to. Keep up the good work

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Subscribed sir! Hey don't forget about us "para-military" LEOs.
    Might surprise ya what a pack of pissed off pigs can do in a pinch ;-)

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    1 April - Mike’s First Battle

Mike and Sam didn’t see anyone out on the street on the way to the Wilsons which was odd. Mike realized none of them had been listening to the radio since this morning. He turned it on and switched to a news station. He heard nothing but static. He started searching stations and got nothing but static or emergency broadcast signals.

Three blocks from the Wilson house Mike started to hear intermittent gun fire. That was good. It probably meant at least one of the brothers was alive. He and Sam parked in an empty driveway and went in on foot. They cut through backyards and down alleys to get to the Wilsons unseen. Mike saw a few people huddled in their houses, and they looked scared.

The scene at the Wilson’s did not look like a war, but it sounded like one. The Chinese had pulled in a second squad of four and had the house surrounded. One enemy soldier was sitting back against a car and looked like he had been hit and was in bad shape. The Wilson’s house had bullet holes everywhere but there was still sporadic fire coming from the house.

Mike took a chance and dialed Tom’s cell phone. By some miracle it still worked. At least the Chinese had screwed up somewhere in this assault. Tom answered and sounded worried. “Mike we are in trouble here. All we have are hunting rifles and shot guns, and I don’t know how much longer we can hold these guys off.”

“Tom, Sam and I are here. Do you see more than the eight guys we see?”

“No I think that is all. That last group just got here 10 minutes ago. They have slowed down their rate of fire, and I am sure they are working on something. I am surprised they have not thrown grenades in here yet.”

“Tom I don’t think they have grenades. We have not seen any yet on the patrols we have tangled with. They probably figure if they lock down our armories we will only have weapons we take from them.” That was something. At least they did not have to deal with grenades yet. “Give me a minute to think up a plan.”

“Sam I think we need to get these guys in crossfire. The problem is once we open up they are going to come our way and there are two of us and 7 of them. We need to make sure Tom and Randy can support us or we are going to be pinned down like they are.” Mike needed a good idea or his first time in combat might be his last.

“Lt. I think we should use that house across the street for cover, but we need to make sure we can get out in a hurry or we will be in worse shape than the Wilsons. I hope no one lives there.”

Mike and Sam lucked out because the house was one of the foreclosure houses that littered middle class neighborhoods like this one. Once inside Sam took up a firing position on the first floor. He had clear shots on three of the four enemy soldiers in the front yard. Mike could see two from his position downstairs. He called up Tom again. “Tom see that house behind the Chinese soldiers in your front yard? We are in it. Once we open up on them they are going to try to find new cover. We need you to keep the three in your backyard pinned down so they cannot flank us. We need Randy to help pick off the front yard guys when they move. Once we clear them Sam and I will flank the guys in your backyard and repeat the process. Got it.”

“Okay Mike if you say it will work we will try it. I only get five shots before I have to reload, but I will use the shotgun too so that is another 5 shots. I hope that buys enough time.” Tom sounded like he was starting to crack.

Things moved in slow motion for Mike. He and Sam opened fire and two Chinese dropped almost instantly. At the short ranges between the houses in most neighborhoods, exposed men will not last long against accurate fire and the Chinese were very exposed to the house Mike and Sam were shooting from. The remaining two Chinese out front did not last much longer. Sam popped a second before they realized what had happened. Unfortunately that left Mike out of targets and one enemy still unaccounted for. Randy did his part though putting a .308 right through a Chinese helmet when the enemy soldier moved into cover from Sam and Mike. Tom’s suppressive fire in the backyard was also effective. Sam and Mike flanked from both sides and each took out one shooter. The last threw up his hands in surrender. The first enemy who had been hit and looked bad when Mike and Sam arrived had bled out during the shootout. It looked like he had taken a full auto burst from one of his comrades while they were trying to shoot at Mike and Sam. Mike was surprised these Chinese had panicked like that. He expected more from them since they had managed to sneak into the US unnoticed.

Mike was not prepared for prisoners, but Tom had some zipties that would work as handcuffs. Mike tried to zip tie the prisoner’s hands together but he was shaking so bad from the adrenaline of his first fire fight that he could not do it. Sam seemed just fine and tied up the prisoner. The prisoner spoke no English so they did not even try to interrogate him.

The Wilson house was a wreck. Bullet holes were everywhere, and it was a miracle that neither Wilson was hurt. There was what looked like vomit on the floor near Randy’s position. “Randy are you okay?” Mike asked.

“Yeah I am okay. I have hunted and killed a lot of animals but never a person. I just lost it when that bullet hit the Chinese soldier and I saw a red spray hit the fence behind him.” Randy was still wiping his mouth and looked white as a ghost. Everyone responded to extreme stress differently. Mike thought vomit was better than sitting in a corner sucking on your thumb and rocking like a baby.

The Wilson brothers had shot through most of their ammunition, but they took their hunting guns with them anyway. They grabbed what clothes and food they could and started towards the school with Sam and Mike. They had to dodge a couple of patrols on the way out of town ,but they made it safely. All 4 men heard the sound of sporadic gun fire most of the trip.

Top Bottom