• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There's also the conversion revolvers if you want to go further back in time.

There were A LOT more of those in the 1870's than Schofield's or 1873's.....Next time I see you Leadeye I'll let you borrow my book...It's awesome...

517QD23JC0L._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Nice! I really like the case hardened finish, how's the overall fitment and machine work on that I recall they were exceptionally well fit last I looked at them.

Congrats on your new pistol, it's a beauty!

Fit and finish is great, no sharp edges anywhere, fit of the grip to the backstrap is nice and smooth.
    The action is crisp, cylinder locks up nicely. Quite impressed with it overall.
    I did "age" the brass trigger guard and backstrap with brass black, looks better to me than shiny brass :-)

I think a 5 1/2 inch will be next on my list.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I just got the Taylors version of the Uberti in the Gunfighter model. 5 1/2" inch with the 1860 Army grip. OMG, this thing is beautiful. I love the larger grip. I think the 5 1/2" was necessary to balance the larger grip.

I'm about to get a second so I can have a pair. Might get the Smokewagon though...

tayco_catgf_gammo_s.jpg

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Your Taylor is a real eye catcher, I've been wanting one of their 1873 sporting rifles with the octagon barrel made by Uberti but haven't seen the *right* one yet. Some of the walnut stock blanks they use are world class and some are just average at best.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I just got the Taylors version of the Uberti in the Gunfighter model. 5 1/2" inch with the 1860 Army grip. OMG, this thing is beautiful. I love the larger grip. I think the 5 1/2" was necessary to balance the larger grip.

I'm about to get a second so I can have a pair. Might get the Smokewagon though...

tayco_catgf_gammo_s.jpg

Nice!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    The current Italian made Uberti guns are probably better, in terms of durability and service life, than the original Colt pistols ever were; they are certainly safer to carry and use in the field. The higher grade colts certainly had better levels of finish / optional embellishment, but everything is made to price point, then and now.

The Colts were excellent pistols for their era, but I think that emotion / nostalgia / directly related absurd collectors prices cloud many peoples judgement. Metallurgy, manufacturing, and quality control have made huge leaps since the late 1800's.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The current Italian made Uberti guns are probably better, in terms of durability and service life, than the original Colt pistols ever were; they are certainly safer to carry and use in the field. The higher grade colts certainly had better levels of finish / optional embellishment, but everything is made to price point, then and now.

The Colts were excellent pistols for their era, but I think that emotion / nostalgia / directly related absurd collectors prices cloud many peoples judgement. Metallurgy, manufacturing, and quality control have made huge leaps since the late 1800's.

The Italian Colt clones today are far better than the earlier imports for certain....

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    If you want to, you can go back all the way to 1847...

View attachment 64625

Despite the 60g of powder they use in each chamber, there is little recoil with these. That's likely in part to the fact that black powder does not have the same recoil as smokeless.... and that the guns weigh about 700 pounds each. :):

It's a handful if you carry them in a twin gun belt. There is a reason they used to let the horse carry the holsters with these. :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If you want to, you can go back all the way to 1847...

View attachment 64625

Despite the 60g of powder they use in each chamber, there is little recoil with these. That's likely in part to the fact that black powder does not have the same recoil as smokeless.... and that the guns weigh about 700 pounds each. :):

It's a handful if you carry them in a twin gun belt. There is a reason they used to let the horse carry the holsters with these. :):

Ever tried the "Highwayman's spin" with those? Every time I see it on Outlaw Josey Whales, I get a laugh from it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I walked into my LGS to see if he had a Sig P365. After a few steps in the door, he says, "You still looking for that 1873 in 44SP?" I had been in there a couple months ago and it did not look like I was going to find what I wanted. After I left, his supplier had called back with the exact revolver I wanted, and he ordered it! Surprise, surprise when I walked in today. Cimarron Uberti 1873 "Old Model" Model P color case hardened frame, 4.75 inch barrel in 44 special. It is a beauty!! Shoots real nice too!

Top Bottom