• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I have an Ithaca Deerslayer that is maybe about 25 years old or so. It is fully rifled with a pinned barrel. IOW - a designated deer gun.

I have been researching just a little on a vlaue and have become a bit confused.

I've been told that this gun is not a Deerslayer, but a Deerslayer II since it is fully rifled. That would seemingly make the value go up.

Does anyone have an idea what the differences is in a Deerslayer and a Deerslayer II?

If it is a Deerslayer II what a value might it be? The gun is in great condition with maybe 50 slugs fired through it.

TIA...

Willie....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Willie. In upstate new york the deerslayer was king when i was a kid. The deerslayer II came out with the rifled barrel. Ithaca has been in and out of business a couple of times.

Collector value is hard to place but basically I don't feel it will ever be more than what you could buy a 870 rem express for at wall mart. A true working mans gun that Ithaca, I would keep an extra firing pin on hand in the parts drawer as they are known to break.

I am sure someone has a blue book of gun values more recent than my 10 year old copy...........

dudish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    not many on gun broker, one deer slayer for 350. But that is a great slug gun you got there. The one I have experiance with was probably the most accurate slug gun I have ever shot. Other Ithacas that I look at at the gun shows usually are around the 350-400 mark. good luck.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Willie,

It'd help you in your endeavor if you attempt to look up the serial number.

Ithaca numbers CAN be difficult to find because, as jmarriott said, they've come and gone and then come again as a business.

As a last resort, you can contact the most recent iteration of the company Home of The Ithaca Gun Company to see if they can help you. They may very well have the old information.

I have no doubt that you have a very fine shotgun. IMO, the Ithacas are simply beautiful. Simple, functional, beautiful.

-J-

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Ithaca shotguns have a really up and down rollercoaster of a price history. I have seen the values go up and down like a yo-yo, especially the older pre-87 models. I would put it's value at around $350-400 but like everything else it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Given the prices they are charging for new one I would think the older used would have better value but that is what it seems like the market is doing now.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I've emailed Ithaca and asked the date of manufacture. I've read where Ithaca came out with the rifled barrels in 1988 so the gun can be no older than 22 years oldand most likely a Deerslayer II.

My loving wife bought it for me back then for our anniversary. I had mentioned to her that I was having trouble scoping my 870 and wished that Remington had a pinned rifled barrel. She, unbnownst to me, started looking for such a gun.She found it, bought it, and surprised me with it. I hunted with it a couple years.

It is a nice gun that is a certifed tack driver, but I never cared much for the bottom eject.

I've got three designated deer guns in a Remington 870 (use in Illinois), a Ruger .44 Mag Carbine and an Omega MZ. The Ithaca isn't eating anything, just taking up room in the gun cabinet.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Ithaca got back with me again.

My gun is an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer II made in 1989. It is a Mag and will chamber both 2 3/4" and 3" shells.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Glad you figured it out . I've got an early 70's deerslayer , no rifled barrel. Its been a great gun , but I would love to have one with a rifled barrel. New deerslayer III's are $1100.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Glad you figured it out . I've got an early 70's deerslayer , no rifled barrel. Its been a great gun , but I would love to have one with a rifled barrel. New deerslayer III's are $1100.

The new Deerslayer IIs are $899.

They don't look any different than my gun.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    According to 30th edition of Blue Book: Deerslayer II 12 ga. Fully Rifled came in 20", 24' and 25" barrels with 1:34 rifling and was also available with a fast twist 1:25 rifling. Mfg 1996-2005. Last Retail was $642.00. 100%=$520. 98%=390. 90%=$230. 80%$175 and so on. Again this is from the Blue Book and not my opinion. I am sure area and season affects value.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    According to 30th edition of Blue Book: Deerslayer II 12 ga. Fully Rifled came in 20", 24' and 25" barrels with 1:34 rifling and was also available with a fast twist 1:25 rifling. Mfg 1996-2005. Last Retail was $642.00. 100%=$520. 98%=390. 90%=$230. 80%$175 and so on. Again this is from the Blue Book and not my opinion. I am sure area and season affects value.

Thanks dawall,

It ain't eating much, so I think I'll just keep it and pass it on to my grandson som day.

Thanks,

WW

Top Bottom