• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Dang, I thought they were producing the sporting versions again. While trench guns are cool, they aren't $1200 cool to this guy.

I loves me an Ithaca 37 though. Someday I'm hoping to get another one to SBS. My current featherweight 12 has too much sentimental value to chop down.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sporting, deer and turkey versions are being made.
    Nostalgia must mean decent checkbook.
    I hunted a M37 one year, hated that gun.
    Pops got a straight grip 20, some NRA banquet win........asked me if I wanted it.
    Nope.
    They are ugly hump backs.
    BPS looks way better IMHO.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Will the new ones be slamfire capable like the ooooooooold ones?:D

At MSRP of $1,200 not long.

$1200 for a gun that was replaced by the now $350 Remington 870?:rolleyes:

Hell, if you're a lefty or just have to have bottom eject, buy a BPS for $700.:dunno:

Last edited:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Dang, I thought they were producing the sporting versions again. While trench guns are cool, they aren't $1200 cool to this guy.

I loves me an Ithaca 37 though. Someday I'm hoping to get another one to SBS. My current featherweight 12 has too much sentimental value to chop down.

I picked one of these up a few months ago for $250. It has the corn cob fore end and was already cut to 18 1/2" with an added bead. Well used but in excellent condition. I really can't imagine someone cutting it down. The old Ithaca's can bring some good money.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My dad gave me his and I still had mine from when I was a kid. Grew up shooting small game and was the first real gun I owned.

Good for hunting and that is about it. I gave them back to dad recently and told him to sell them off or do whatever with them. No way I would pay more than 300 for one in minty shape.

The 870 is a better choice for sure.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    While I wouldn't buy a new one, I love my '50s production. SLAMFIRE is a lot of fun. I swear you could knock people out with the shells ejecting. I chopped mine down because it had a polychoke on it and I couldn't hit squat shooting clays. Now fills the HD role. Sure they aren't friendly for tactical reloads, but they get the job done. I actually sold an 870 and kept my 37, so much smoother. I still see field models all the time around $250, steal if you ask me.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Dad was issued one as a Police Officer in Dayton in the 1960's. He always had a soft spot for them.

Unfortunately, I have a strong feeling that MKS Supply will screw this up like they have with Chiappa firearms.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    No personal experience, but I hear it's divorce.
    Also, just what I've been told: It's worth every penny.
    The combo of nostalgia and divorce is brutal. A good friend had to choose between his bird dog or his 57 Chevy, owned first by his granny with original receipt in glove box. I think it was $400ish. He missed that old dog.

I still stand by my decision in 1977 to buy a Wingmaster over a 37. Out of respect for the nostalgia of others I will not delve into the details. However, if I were buying a 37, it would be 60's vintage or older.

dcat91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Paradise
    Had a mossberg 590 once THAT was junk! Every gun ive owned made past 1990s has been crap,(With the exception of the Shield, but i sold that) have 4 model 37s all pre-60s and they run like gump! Who the hell would pay money for that when you can find plenty of good old Ithacas for below 300? REAL Ithacas.....Only gun i feel is better built are Stevens 311s!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Had a mossberg 590 once THAT was junk! Every gun ive owned made past 1990s has been crap,(With the exception of the Shield, but i sold that) have 4 model 37s all pre-60s and they run like gump! Who the hell would pay money for that when you can find plenty of good old Ithacas for below 300? REAL Ithacas.....Only gun i feel is better built are Stevens 311s!

I'm with dcat91 on this one. I have an old 37 leaned up against the post on my headboard. I've had that gun since the early 70s. A couple of the newer releases have jumped time on me and had to be redone.
    They're not a soft shooting shotgun by any means but I'll take 'em anyday over the mossy or remy pumps.

Top Bottom