• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Finished a berm at the Indiana farm today. A little light work before it freezes. It's about 14' high X 40' Long.

Should be able to set up to shoot up to 800 yards.

Berm-1.jpg

Ridge for distance shots:

Ridge.jpg

Last edited:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Man 800 yrds thats dream distance for most. Heck I dream just to have a 200 yrd range in my backyard.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Shot before at 500 yards and loved it. 800 yards, WOW. That's a rare thing in Indiana. Good work, where did you the dirt, a cemetery?

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I can see people coming over uninvited and getting their trucks stuck in your field. :):

BTW: Nice Set Up. :yesway:

I've always wanted to see what that CAT would do to a truck!!

Fullmag: Shot before at 500 yards and loved it. 800 yards, WOW. That's a rare thing in Indiana. Good work, where did you the dirt, a cemetery?

We cleared a fence row, and the stumps that wouldn't burn got piled there. Then we took out a 2 acre clump of trees in the middle of the field, when you rake out the sticks and roots there's quite a bit of dirt mixed in, so that's piled there. Then the hill where the trees were was higher than field, so we took 7 semi loads off the crown of the hill and piled 5 of them on the berm to dress it off.

When I move there I wouldn't be opposed to letting some people shoot. But:
    Like yesterday, I had a cousin of mine shoot at my Mom's place. Here is the set up:
    He walks 20 feet to his car and grabs a Mini 14 that he just mounted a scope on.
    My son and I:
    Set up the bench
    Set up the target at 50 yards
    Bring out our earmuffs

Cousin sits down fires three shots

I check the target, while my son and cousin find 2 of 3 brass. I come back, he didn't hit the 2'X3' paper at all. Cousin still looking for 1 .223 brass. I say let it go.

Cousin tries again, same result, brass lost. Repeat.

I walk down and move the target to 20 yards, he shoots and is 8" left. He asks if he should move it 4 clicks. WTF. He needs 60! So **** around we continue.....

This goes on until he runs out of adjustment and puts the rifle away.

The wife walks off as she was waiting to shoot her pistol but the wind and cold + the stupidity was enough for her.

To end the fiasco, I look to see the cousin walking to the house. So My son and I pick everything up and put it away.

Oh and did I mention he had to borrow my ear muffs? So I use plugs.

To Summarize shooting out there might be possible:
    IF your gun is sighted close
    IF you don't mind helping with the set up and clean up
    IF IF IF.
    I'm really getting a ZERO tolerance for STUPIDITY. I have to tolerate it in family, not strangers.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Guess you just "ASSUME" that people would be so thankful to have a place to shoot like that, that they would go out of their way to do whatever they could to help out with set up and especially clean up! Or is it just me?!
    I know if it was me, you wouldn't have to do ANY set up or clean up! I would be so thrilled to have a place like that, I'd go out of my way to make sure the place was cleaned up better than when I arrived!!!!

Edit: why would you put up with "stupidity" from "family"?

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Guess you just "ASSUME" that people would be so thankful to have a place to shoot like that, that they would go out of their way to do whatever they could to help out with set up and especially clean up! Or is it just me?!
    I know if it was me, you wouldn't have to do ANY set up or clean up! I would be so thrilled to have a place like that, I'd go out of my way to make sure the place was cleaned up better than when I arrived!!!!

Dirtbiker,
    I've been blessed to have some property where friends can come and shoot. My experience has been more along the lines of your comment. Shooters who have come here are very good about cleaning up and being respectful of the property. I've had a very good experience. :yesway:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Dirtbiker,
    I've been blessed to have some property where friends can come and shoot. My experience has been more along the lines of your comment. Shooters who have come here are very good about cleaning up and being respectful of the property. I've had a very good experience. :yesway:

That's good to hear! I've seen pictures of your property, and it looks great.... Looks like the kind of place I would like to get if I ever get to retire!
    I love the fact that you can walk out on your deck and shoot, thats too cool!

Top Bottom