• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thats absolutely crazy. Makes me wonder if its really safe to go into that city at all if stuff like that is happening.

In my opinion, no, it's not.
    Not at least without being armed.

Oh good Lord. Feel free to come and enjoy the sights of Indy, downtown or otherwise. As a lifelong resident of the SCARY East Side of Indy, there is little to fear. Perception is NOT reality...it rarely is.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh good Lord. Feel free to come and enjoy the sights of Indy, downtown or otherwise. As a lifelong resident of the SCARY East Side of Indy, there is little to fear. Perception is NOT reality...it rarely is.

This mindset always amuses me. Thousands enjoy the city every weekend. Our area has had some issues but we never walk in fear. We are alert but not fearful.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

I'll second this. The violence in the city isn't random. If you're not hanging out with murderers and pissing them off, then the likelihood of you being murdered is very low.

The random stuff you'll run into is thievery near or on the Monon trail, or in parking garages.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The city administration will do something, chicago style gun control.
    That is not the answer. Police had better take a proactive stance and go after these gangs who are composed of known criminals and round them up. Surely a surprise operation will yield enough guns and drugs to secure long prison sentences and clean up the streets. The police need to act not react after the fact.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    That is not the answer. Police had better take a proactive stance and go after these gangs who are composed of known criminals and round them up. Surely a surprise operation will yield enough guns and drugs to secure long prison sentences and clean up the streets. The police need to act not react after the fact.

The jail isn't big enough to hold them all, and the prosecutor can't process them fast enough. They'll be released due to overcrowding, and then they're in the wind. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that most of the problem people in this city have outstanding warrants.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'll second this. The violence in the city isn't random. If you're not hanging out with murderers and pissing them off, then the likelihood of you being murdered is very low.

The random stuff you'll run into is thievery near or on the Monon trail, or in parking garages.

While the violence usually isn't random it certainly can be misdirected as in this case. Indy has has several shooting incidents downtown, one just a few weeks ago (besides the judges). One stray bullet can ruin your evening. We are starting into the warm summer nights that bring youth downtown. We'll see how that goes this year.
    Indy dodged a bullet (pun intended). If not by shear luck that the owner was gone, this could have ended as the major national news story of the week. "NFL coach and family shot by mistake in Indy" isn't the kind of publicity that encourages businesses to locate here.
    The city fathers were willing to spend an extra $10M to add a huge window to Lucas Stadium to get the 5 second money shot of the city scape because you "can't buy that kind of publicity". Do they have the political will to round up the trigger happy morons and give them long sentences?

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    If I recall correctly, someone looked into the murders in 2017 ? And they found that 67% were convicted felons, and of those arrested or suspected but not enough evidence to arrest were also 67% of the time convicted felons.

I agree with the comment about more jail space. Maybe the city should buy some of the vacant schools and turn them into minimum security jails.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The jail isn't big enough to hold them all, and the prosecutor can't process them fast enough. They'll be released due to overcrowding, and then they're in the wind. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that most of the problem people in this city have outstanding warrants.

I get so tired of hearing the term "overcrowding". To my way of thinking, unless they're stacked wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling, they're not overcrowded. I don't care if it's unpleasant. It's supposed to be unpleasant. Don't want to be in an unpleasant situation? Don't break the freaking law. It's not rocket surgery.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    nj0qYwI.jpg

Top Bottom