• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    It was the first time I had to help one say goodbye. I hate when people say you will know when it's time. Sometimes you just truly don't know, it's very hard.
    Dogs rarely "snap" without warning, same with most of these shooters. The warnings are just ignored, and I don't know why.

My condolences on your loss.

I'm no friend of the breed since I worked in an emergency room in EMT training almost 40 years ago. A 2 year old came in screaming. Pit had mauled the kid's face. With me and an orderly trying to hold him still with the aid of a papoose board, the doctor doing the stitching was still hitting a moving, screaming target. Kinda colors my perception still, 40 yrs later.
    That said, I've known some very people friendly pits. My youngest has a rescue who will beat you to death with her club of a tail. She's a big sweetie. But if they have children one day, I'll still recommend they not leave the child alone with the dog.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Just like humans, dogs have "personal space" and strangers have gotta' be careful how they intrude into it. I have a 8 yr old granddaughter who was petrified of our mixed breed 60 lb rescue until she realized he only wanted to play. Now, I'm petrified because she wants to get in his face.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Like Shepard's and other large breeds it is an individual thing I am sure. So many great GS's I have known and a few that need to be contained. Same with Mastiff's.
    Chows are just freaking crazy as to the ones I have came across.
    Look to the owners.

Chows are RedHeads in the dog world. Bat**** Crazy! :nailbite:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just like humans, dogs have "personal space" and strangers have gotta' be careful how they intrude into it. I have a 8 yr old granddaughter who was petrified of our mixed breed 60 lb rescue until she realized he only wanted to play. Now, I'm petrified because she wants to get in his face.

Do dogs in Europe have a smaller "personal space" area?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Someone else pointed out a few years ago how Dobermans and then Rottweillers were the dangerous breed that we needed to ban. They were the favored breed of the "tough guys" in our society. Now they all get pit bulls.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Someone else pointed out a few years ago how Dobermans and then Rottweillers were the dangerous breed that we needed to ban. They were the favored breed of the "tough guys" in our society. Now they all get pit bulls.

23u52lc.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    We need to be certain our loving pets never turn into a mauler or such. Often, the ones that are closest do not see what an outsider sees. "My pit is a loving pit", and probably is......but the fact remains, some breeds are more capable of causing harm, by their nature. A lion or such, born into captivity - loved on since they were babies, are still a danger, regardless of how much they were loved on.

I'll disagree a bit. Some breeds are more capable of causing harm, but not due to their nature simply because of their size and strength not. And comparing a lion to a dog isn't even apples and oranges, it's more like apples and orangutans. Lions haven't been domesticated as a breed for thousands of years. A closer comparison would be comparing dogs with wolves.

Chows are RedHeads in the dog world. Bat**** Crazy! :nailbite:

Apt comparison.

And before that it was GSDs. I remember reading about when collies were the most biting breed in the US. Lassie made everyone want one.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    We really need to promote the poodle as a hunting dog again, boost it's reputation as a bad ass. I want to see pictures of the inked up gang members posing with their poodles in spiked collars.
    :rockwoot:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    We really need to promote the poodle as a hunting dog again, boost it's reputation as a bad ass. I want to see pictures of the inked up gang members posing with their poodles in spiked collars.
    :rockwoot:

A real badass dog has the tattoo, not the gang member. Greyhounds get their ears tattooed as a gang initiation. Man, that's gotta sting.
    2Q==

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hey, a full sized poodle with an attitude can be one badass [STRIKE]terrier[/STRIKE] Microwave Dog.

FIFY :):

Wait, you mean those freaks of nature Stretch Poodles? Never mind then. I always forget that they exist.
    They can be mean looking..... .unless the owner decides to give them that mini poodle hair job. That's just embarrassing.

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    That poodle haircut is purpose designed for their work as water retrievers. It protects the body and joints while being shaved in places for movement and to reduce wet-weight.

Top Bottom