• samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Got this from another board
    Thought some of you may be interested

"The first item to report on is something that has had the tin foil hat crowd on the net all torqued up for ages. Many were afraid that a whole bunch of weapons were going to be declared evil and NFA by the ATF, subjecting the owners to confiscation, registration, or indentured servitude. I am talking about shotties with pistol grips.

The gist was that a bunch of agitators that commonly call for ATF's dismantling had declared that ATF was finally going to call these guns AOW's and force all kinds of calamity. As usual, they were wrong. These guns are not being turned into AOW's by fiat and never were going to be declared as such. The difficulty was in creating a proper definition. People who had the Mossberg or Winchester iteration of the Persuader or Defender were suitably concerned.

1. It is important to understand that a shotgun is, by definition, a shoulder fired weapon.
    2. Shotguns with barrel less than 18 inches still are SBR's.
    3. Weapons that shoot shot shells with smooth bores that have no shoulder stocks are not shotguns.
    So what are they, then? After meeting with senior officials of ATF at SHOT show I am able to report the following:

1. ATF will be releasing an official definition quite soon to label this weapon. While definition is new, the weapon is not. The definition will help to clarify the situation. While cumbersome, the definition does work! Expect to read about the "smooth bore, pistol gripped firearm" in the coming weeks.
    2. The smooth bore, pistol gripped firearm will not be classified as an AOW as long as it's overall length is not less than 26 inches.
    3. In keeping with the above, you may have any barrel length as long as the overall length is not less than 26 inches.
    4. In keeping with the above, if the overall length is less than 26 inches, it will be classified as an AOW, not an SBR (because it does not have a shoulder stock and is not a shotgun).
    As to whether individual states might seek to restrict such weapons, that's anyone's guess. "

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    so basically what you are saying is the defender and persuader are a tad bit shorter than 26" overall are they not? That means basically those will now be AOW's???....:(

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    so basically what you are saying is the defender and persuader are a tad bit shorter than 26" overall are they not? That means basically those will now be AOW's???....:(

To be 100% honest ... Im not a AOW or SBS guy , but seem to remember some discussion about regulations being changed for some shotguns.
    Which led me to copy this post from another place!
    I will direct some of your guys questions to the original author & try to get some answer as best i can !

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    To be 100% honest ... Im not a AOW or SBS guy , but seem to remember some discussion about regulations being changed for some shotguns.
    Which led me to copy this post from another place!
    I will direct some of your guys questions to the original author & try to get some answer as best i can !

I'm not either, but I know those are relatively short....it would be close to 26" if my eyeballing skillz work:):

Thats where I gathered the assumption that whomever the atf guy was just skirting the answer to the person asking's liking....:dunno:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    "Yes, I think he meant sbs. But the concern was that the lack of a stock made them not fit the definition of a shotgun, and anything that isn't a rifle, pistol, shotgun, sbr or sbs gets classified as an aow. The new "pistol gripped shotgun" definition will prevent that. And the shortest defender or persuader is 28" long, so no problems there."

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    if you run a short lop stock on a defender that may put you just under the 26" mark. so many rules and not enough brain to understand them all. lol

Top Bottom