• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    I used to work with a woman who just. could. not. pass one portion of the PE exam. She'd do fine on everything but the EE stuff, if I remember correctly.

No big deal there IMO, as she's a rigid pavement engineer.

What kind of engineering do you do? Just curious, as I used to work with several geotechnical / civil & some flexible / rigid pavement engineers.

-J-

I am a civil. Son of two engineers as well, one with her license and my dad without. Though he was mechanical where the PE was of little to no importance in the work he was doing.

The tests have been changed a bit. Now you take only your discipline, so the mechanicals, electricals and civils etc. all take specialized tests. There are still a half of the test covering the broad spectrum of civil, and the half the test covering your 'specialty'...which can be one of 5 topics of your choice.

I'm not positive, but I'd imagine that ME and EE tests are similarly formatted.

Though I know that back in the day it was more of a universal test regardless of your undergraduate degree, where if an ME wanted to try a civil question, they could.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am a civil. Son of two engineers as well, one with her license and my dad without. Though he was mechanical where the PE was of little to no importance in the work he was doing.

The tests have been changed a bit. Now you take only your discipline, so the mechanicals, electricals and civils etc. all take specialized tests. There are still a half of the test covering the broad spectrum of civil, and the half the test covering your 'specialty'...which can be one of 5 topics of your choice.

I'm not positive, but I'd imagine that ME and EE tests are similarly formatted.

Though I know that back in the day it was more of a universal test regardless of your undergraduate degree, where if an ME wanted to try a civil question, they could.

I'm a mechanical, and the FE exam to gain "EIT" status was very general. There were some civil and chem E questions that we had to take that were flat out impossible if you didn't have much experience in those discipline. I remember one of the Civil questions had to do with planning the layout for an airport runway, and you had to pick a heading for the runway based on prevailing winds as well as a countour plot showing the different elevations. I took a swag at it and put the runway into the wind, but have now idea if I was right or not.

Top Bottom