• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Nice deflection, but that wasn't my point.

It is rare to find an accurate story in the political arena that is truthful from ANY media source. Everyone has an agenda and that rarely has anything to do with fairness. To single out any media company as an example is not very useful. Both sides....strike that...all sides are not trustworthy recorders of the facts and full truth of any particular item or situation. Some of that is by omission. Some by commission. Some from ignorance/inexperience. Some from outright ethical breaches.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is rare to find an accurate story in the political arena that is truthful from ANY media source. Everyone has an agenda and that rarely has anything to do with fairness. To single out any media company as an example is not very useful. Both sides....strike that...all sides are not trustworthy recorders of the facts and full truth of any particular item or situation. Some of that is by omission. Some by commission. Some from ignorance/inexperience. Some from outright ethical breaches.

Rep sent. Do you likewise agree that it has always been this way or this is something new? I believe this has always been the way and it was a false front put forth for years that journalism was a neutral party, a falsehood that some media still foist on the public.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm fine with it. I was not aware of that information. However, let's keep in mind that doesn't mean the information is false. I direct you to the question I posed to IngoMike. Further, if we're going stating that Bolton is untrustworthy based on an incident from 2005. In light of that, you cannot avoid yet another instance of the president choosing to be associated with someone of poor character. Flynn, Manafort, Stone, Guiliani, Cohen, Parnas.... and now Bolton. With so many liars, opportunists, and generally corrupt people around him it would seem, at least to me, that he is a poor judge of character, and not in full control of his administration. Which interestingly enough, is probably the best defense against him having committed an impeachable offense, because he's not in full control of the office in which he sits.

I was merely responding to your assertion (which I believe I quoted in order to make that plain) that you had never known Bolton to lie. Now you have, and your response is to attempt to (predictably) turn the new information you have been provided into further character assassination on Trump.
    I would point out that you also continue to overlook the sketchy character of members of the Obama administration, even now when their perfidy is well known, in what I can only infer is an homage to the 'there is no proven wrongdoing' defense that you just cannot see the irony of. With respect to the Lerner, Holder, Yates and Clinton types, to name a few, doesn't your argument that "Nevertheless, the reporting may be true. If it is true, is that a problem for you, or is it still "meh"?" relate equally well?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    iu

View attachment 83500

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

So we can assume that you shall never again cite any media source, since they are all compromised in some way?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Rep sent. Do you likewise agree that it has always been this way or this is something new? I believe this has always been the way and it was a false front put forth for years that journalism was a neutral party, a falsehood that some media still foist on the public.
    I know this wasn’t directed at me but I think this is mostly true and I would add that a lot of the media with their political activist agendas are just as much of a danger to this country than whatever accusations they attempt to hoist upon Trump.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

I don't know how to answer this question directly. I think it has always been this way for a certain segment of the press. Also, there was much that went unreported to protect the parties as far back as FDR...and that's as far back as I have some confidence in my knowledge base. Certainly there were significant events that went unreported or were under-reported to protect the public's sensibilities.

With the advent of the 24/7 news cycle, the internet, the failure of many local/regional papers, and the number of individuals who subsequently fashioned themselves as reporters or news agencies through blogs or other online platforms, I think the problem got much worse. We learned in the 60's that our government was lying to us and they certainly never stopped. What has changed is that reporters have no scruples in being dishonest. Half-truths and opinions reported as fact drive advertising revenue. The truth loses out as some ephemeral standard which has diminished in relevance.

I believe all that we can do is filter everything we hear or read and not to be complicit in spreading what we know to be half-truths or fall victim to our own confirmation bias.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So we can assume that you shall never again cite any media source, since they are all compromised in some way?

Untrue. However, I also expect pushback and alternate citations from others.

I won't argue with how you feel about something, but I may object to your own set of facts.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

That is my thinking, I get the business when I post Gateway Pundit, but I have found them to be every bit as accurate as NYT, maybe more so, but because they are new conservative media their news is maligned as somehow inferior...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't know how to answer this question directly. I think it has always been this way for a certain segment of the press. Also, there was much that went unreported to protect the parties as far back as FDR...and that's as far back as I have some confidence in my knowledge base. Certainly there were significant events that went unreported or were under-reported to protect the public's sensibilities.

With the advent of the 24/7 news cycle, the internet, the failure of many local/regional papers, and the number of individuals who subsequently fashioned themselves as reporters or news agencies through blogs or other online platforms, I think the problem got much worse. We learned in the 60's that our government was lying to us and they certainly never stopped. What has changed is that reporters have no scruples in being dishonest. Half-truths and opinions reported as fact drive advertising revenue. The truth loses out as some ephemeral standard which has diminished in relevance.

I believe all that we can do is filter everything we hear or read and not to be complicit in spreading what we know to be half-truths or fall victim to our own confirmation bias.

The most destructive force in media is the whole pay for clicks scheme. Can't even come close to counting the times I click only to find the headline is just flat wrong and it actually proves that in the article. The power of media is too concentrated, the Internet was supposed to give many voices rise but it just aided consolidation...

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Politics reduced to entertainment. Can Howard Beale be far behind?
    We certainly have plenty of Beale wannabes already:
    From the Left: Moron Joe, Donny the Lemon, Fredo Cuomo, Retching MadCow . . .
    From the Right: El Rushbo, The Hannitizer (who has begun to repeat himself nearly as much as Schiff does) . . .

ps: I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Leadeye again:ingo:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In the 1964 Presidential election, the three major networks put color footage of Viet Nam war casualties either directly before or directly after reporting on the Republican candidate, Barry Goldwater.
    They discovered they could affect the election by visually associating Goldwater with war deaths.
    They have been doing similar things ever since.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    In the 1964 Presidential election, the three major networks put color footage of Viet Nam war casualties either directly before or directly after reporting on the Republican candidate, Barry Goldwater.
    They discovered they could affect the election by visually associating Goldwater with war deaths.
    They have been doing similar things ever since.
    And, of course, Little Brown Jug’s “Daisy/Bomb” commercial.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Media keep telling us this is a trial. So what happens when a witness sells their story in the middle of a trial?

giphy.gif

In a real trial? He would be be skewered on cross examination on that very fact...then the jury gets to decide how much weight to give his testimony.

...but if the jury heard any news coverage about his "story", there is likely a mistrial, but that would go for all the goofiness that is reported.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Media keep telling us this is a trial. So what happens when a witness sells their story in the middle of a trial?

giphy.gif

Bolton doesn’t want to testify. He was just CYA-ing, hoping the WH or Senate Republicans will block his offer to testify; that way when he releases a book that spills the beans he can say “I offered to testify, but was blocked.”

Top Bottom