• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    You fine people of ingo have driven me to buy a 91/30. And i must say i think i have purchased a real nice one. Bore is great, all numbers matching, great looking wood. Only thing is it doesnt have the brass around the sling holes like i see on most. Anyway i know 5 threads are made like this everyday for people buying mosins, but i am pretty excited to tear into it. i have purchased simple green for cleaning the stock and engine degreaser for all the metal parts. This thing is covered in oil so much that i know im going to be covered in it when im done. But after the blackhawks game i will be going down to the work shop and starting it out. Since its been raining lately do you think using a hair dryer to heat up the wood instead of sitting it outside would work in removing cosmoline from the stock?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I must have gotten extremely lucky with mine because it barely had any cosmolene on it. I have seen a lot of people using heat guns to get the stuf out. They also wrap it in newspaper while doing it. I have also seen people put them in the oven. Just make sure you take your time and get it all out of there. Go ahead and get two spam cans of ammo because once you shoot it, you'll be hooked and need more. Lol

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I just bought two more 91/30s tonight. I started out innocently enough, buying a nice 91/30 a couple years ago, that lead to "having" to have an M44, then I started thinking about the $70 SKS I bought many years ago, and now the price of those has gone WAY up, so I started grabbing up 91/30s every time I had a few extra dollars....I don't see it ever getting any better for me, I'm hopeless.

But congrats on your new rifle! You'll love it.:yesway:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I didnt even get any ammo yet, i want to take my time with this to make it perfect as i plan on putting it on a gun rack above my bed. Looking online i see some people cut the bolt spring to make the trigger pull a little easier , have any of you done this? i dont want to ruin the gun but the trigger does seem to be pretty heavy and lightening it would be nice.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I just bought two more 91/30s tonight. I started out innocently enough, buying a nice 91/30 a couple years ago, that lead to "having" to have an M44, then I started thinking about the $70 SKS I bought many years ago, and now the price of those has gone WAY up, so I started grabbing up 91/30s every time I had a few extra dollars....I don't see it ever getting any better for me, I'm hopeless.

But congrats on your new rifle! You'll love it.:yesway:
    i was actually planning on purchasing two, but because of recently getting rid of an ak i decided one was enough at the moment until i pick up another ak.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    About the only thing I've done to mine, and I do it to all my new Mosins now, is polish the chamber. You've probably heard of the sticky bolt syndrome that Mosins tend to have, and polishing the chamber will minimize, if not eliminate the problem.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    About the only thing I've done to mine, and I do it to all my new Mosins now, is polish the chamber. You've probably heard of the sticky bolt syndrome that Mosins tend to have, and polishing the chamber will minimize, if not eliminate the problem.
    yes i have some turtle wax polishing compound that i used for polishing a bolt on another gun that i will be using . what size brush do you suggest for that? ive heard 20 ga works

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    alright guys, ive run into a problem. First off the cleaning of the mosin is going great, only i swear it was like pulling teeth when i asked to use the hair dryer to get the cosmoline out of the wood apparently i can run everything in this house but simple use of a hair dryer and i will break it, then apparently im causing everyone in the house to get sick because of the degreaser. Jesus h christ, im restoring a war antique not making meth in the basement! Good thing i bought simple green too.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was lucky with my 91/30 and M44, they were really clean with I purchased them. The former had already been shot some, so that was a given, but the M44 was out of the crate, maybe they had cleaned it up to help sales. Anyway, on a recent thread on here I believe, someone suggested using brake parts cleaner on the ACTION ONLY. They removed the barrel and everything from the stock and then went to town with the brake cleaner. Makes sense, and it will evaporate quickly, so there's less mess. If you can pick up a chamber brush before you shoot it, I've also read that it will help too. If it starts to get really sticky after a few rounds, pull out the bolt and hit it with the brush and some bore cleaner, then repeat. Can't offer any ideas on the stock, never have refinished one yet. If you can't get clearance to use the hair dryer, I'd say use this as an excuse to go buy a heat gun. Those are quite helpful with removing decals from bumpers as well as melting ruskie cosmoline:D Good luck, and enjoy your new rifle, I love both of mine!

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I was lucky with my 91/30 and M44, they were really clean with I purchased them. The former had already been shot some, so that was a given, but the M44 was out of the crate, maybe they had cleaned it up to help sales. Anyway, on a recent thread on here I believe, someone suggested using brake parts cleaner on the ACTION ONLY. They removed the barrel and everything from the stock and then went to town with the brake cleaner. Makes sense, and it will evaporate quickly, so there's less mess. If you can pick up a chamber brush before you shoot it, I've also read that it will help too. If it starts to get really sticky after a few rounds, pull out the bolt and hit it with the brush and some bore cleaner, then repeat. Can't offer any ideas on the stock, never have refinished one yet. If you can't get clearance to use the hair dryer, I'd say use this as an excuse to go buy a heat gun. Those are quite helpful with removing decals from bumpers as well as melting ruskie cosmoline:D Good luck, and enjoy your new rifle, I love both of mine!
    i have a heat gun but its out in the barn, and because of the rain i just used the hair dryer. i think i got it pretty dang clean. Got it all back together. The bolt was a huge pain, after putting it back together whenever i turned the saftey handle the lines wouldnt line up, so i took a flathead and turned the inner line so that it was flush with the outer, is this bad or wrong? i am going to order one of the no go gauges to check it to be sure but is using a flat head to line them up allowed? also i put the bayonet on and now i for the life of me cannot remove it

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i have a heat gun but its out in the barn, and because of the rain i just used the hair dryer. i think i got it pretty dang clean. Got it all back together. The bolt was a huge pain, after putting it back together whenever i turned the saftey handle the lines wouldnt line up, so i took a flathead and turned the inner line so that it was flush with the outer, is this bad or wrong? i am going to order one of the no go gauges to check it to be sure but is using a flat head to line them up allowed? also i put the bayonet on and now i for the life of me cannot remove it

Man I wish I could help you but I've never disassembled my bolt. I also didn't get the bayonet with my 91/30 so I'm afraid I can't help you there either. I just watched this video, there are others on youtube as well. Maybe one of them could help you out :dunno:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8427QopLs

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    im sure i will be able to figure out the bayonet and bolt. One final question, i think lol. Is a m44 firing pin tool the same as a 91/30 firing pin tool? all i can find on ebay is for the m44

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    im sure i will be able to figure out the bayonet and bolt. One final question, i think lol. Is a m44 firing pin tool the same as a 91/30 firing pin tool? all i can find on ebay is for the m44

From what I've seen they are. The M44 was just a shortened version of the 91/30 with a folding spike bayonet. Firing pins seem to be interchangeable as well. Not sure why they're only labeling them as M44 gauges...The AIM cleaning kit says it's for use with the M44, 91/30, and M39. AIM SPORT MOSIN NAGANT CLEANING KIT AND FIELD TOOLS - HUNTING ACCESSORIES

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Ordered the firing pin tool, so now all i have to do is wait for it to come so i can check the pin and my first mosin is complete. Time to go buy another:rockwoot:

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I have two of these and I take my bolt apart each time I clean the gun.

On this forum I always see people using a screw driver to change the pin setting.

From my experience you don't need to use a screw driver.

1. Pull the bolt out.
    2 Turn the rear of the bolt to the left to release the spring tension
    3 Turn the front of the bolt and pull. It will come right out.
    4 Not sure of the part name but the long bar now comes off.

Here is the part I always do. Use the bar to adjust the pin. If you all look "The fork of the bar" it fits perfectly. Also since the pin should never be seized up you should never bend the bar doing so.

I always remove the pin as well when cleaning. If you do not take all this apart the bolt will stick and even make the action suck worse.

So for reassembly this is what I do. Both of mine seems the same. From what I hear if you have a matching number gun this part should always be the same.

1 Grab the middle part "The Bolt" Grab the rear part "Safety" The Spring and the pin
    2 Line up the safety with the bolt.
    3 Insert the spring into the bolt
    4 insert the pin and use the bar to push down the pin to grab the threads in the safety
    5 now screw the dang thing until it stops "Do not over tighten" The back it up until the line on the safety lines up with the slot on the pin.
    6 reinsert the bar
    7 put the end of the bolt back on.
    8 now is the easy part. Get your Nagaunt tool out. It has two marks on it.
    75 for short and 95 for long. "At this point the pin should be sticking out as if to hit a primer. Use the tool to check the pin clearance. The 75 mark is the short mark where if the pin dosen't go any further than that it will not go boom. The 95 should not hit the pin as that would mean the pin is out too far. If you hit the first mark and clear the second then you are good. Other wise you will want to take the front of the bolt off again and either screw in or out the pin to make the adjustment. Remember the pin can only go in specific ways. 1/2 turns. Once you get your pin clearence. Twist the back of the bolt to reset the sprint and insert and fire.

You should ALWAYS CHECK THIS BEFORE FIRING A NAGAUNT. Never accept that the gun store set the pin. They may have just pulled it out of the crate and set it on the shelf.

If your bolt is not matching part number you have a Frankenstein and should also check bolt spacing. Take it to a gunsmith for that part. They will use a go and a no go gauge on it to verify you are not out of tolerance.

I have done massive amounts of research on these firearms and can tell anyone just about anything about them.

I hope you enjoy your new Russian.

Last edited:

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Ohh unless you want your bayonet to be perm. I would suggest you never put it on. LOL they are a beast to get back off as you have found. You will probably be getting out a hammer and a screw driver. Helps to have two people do this part. One to hold the gun steady and the other to operate the hammer and screw driver.

Bet when you get it off you won't put it on all the way again. LOL :draw:

PS the firing pin tool is the same for either. The Bolts are identical. Remember the 75 and the 95 marks. They are all the gauge needs to comply with.

Top Bottom