• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So it's distinctly possible that this will turn out to NOT be a stranger, and that the unfortunate girl was not a target of opportunity, but a victim of stalking to the extreme?
    Yes, that has always been a remote possibility. If true, that possibility inches closer.

I'm sure the police have asked her circle of friends how often they went to Yogi's trivia night. If it was a regular thing for her/them, too, then.... yeah.... much less like a stranger-abduction.

I have a very limited social media presence - anyone know if Hannah's SM accts indicate going to Yogi's? Doesn't 4-square or Yelp keep track of that?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Friends of Hannah Wilson still coming to grips with IU student's - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Friends, school mates, parents, family, memorials, tributes...

...not a single solitary mention of DON'T DRINK YOURSELF DEAD. :xmad:

The drinking to excess should be addressed and kids need to look out for themselves and each other.

I see your statement as victim blaming.

Predators are the problem, not drunken co-eds.

You will never eliminate predators. You certainly can eliminate folks from drinking themselves to incoherence and vulnerability though.

The positive uplifting messages about these DEAD girls need to be a secondary conversation to the fact that they made a FATAL error in judgement. Making themselves an easy victim should be the first topic of discussion.

Parents, family, friends, IU, everyone's first line of conversation should be;
    "OMG, this person made a terrible choice and we so wish she and all of those associated with her would have better looked out for her."

Education of the facts which could have changed this tragedy need to be in the forefront. And yes Roland, sadly shame is sometimes the best educator.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    You will never eliminate predators. You certainly can eliminate folks from drinking themselves to incoherence and vulnerability though.

The positive uplifting messages about these DEAD girls need to be a secondary conversation to the fact that they made a FATAL error in judgement. Making themselves an easy victim should be the first topic of discussion.

Parents, family, friends, IU, everyone's first line of conversation should be;
    "OMG, this person made a terrible choice and we so wish she and all of those associated with her would have better looked out for her."

Education of the facts which could have changed this tragedy need to be in the forefront. And yes Roland, sadly shame is sometimes the best educator.

^^THIS^^
    We seem to be improving little by little as incidents continue. Nobody called a cab to get Lauren Spierer home 4 years ago. Perhaps next time, and there will be many next times unfortunately, somebody's friends will even ride home with them in that cab they call. Maybe they'll even assign somebody to keep an eye on them to ensure they don't asphyxiate on their own vomit after falling asleep. Learning the hard way can stay with survivors for the rest of their lives when it involves the death of a friend.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The drinking to excess should be addressed and kids need to look out for themselves and each other.

I see your statement as victim blaming.

Predators are the problem, not drunken co-eds.

Victim blaming is somewhat of a spin on "I'm not in any way responsible for any of my actions." Criminally speaking this is true, however physically speaking this is completely false. We are teaching our young people that so long as they themselves don't hurt anyone or themselves, they aren't responsible for anything negative that happens too them. They take risks, and more risks, and even more risks as more often than not, they don't harm someone and don't get hurt themselves. However, it is all a numbers game and eventually we get sexual assault complaints, students falling out of windows, students passing out in sub-zero temps needing their hands and feet amputated, students driving into retention ponds, etc.. Once a bell is rung, you can't un-ring it. There definitely needs to be more done to address the issue of binge drinking and promotion of living a constant party lifestyle that revolves around intoxication of some sort.

We have combined criminal fault with physical fault when assigning blame percentages, and if we continue to do that, we will continue to see our young people make bad decision after bad decision. Eventually the numbers will catch up to some, while others will escape unharmed, and others might physically be OK, but will have to constantly deal with mental anguish of varying degrees over past incidents. Given the addiction to alcohol in this country, I don't know if things will ever get better, and they might just get worse in some aspects.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It is a bit like defensive driving. As I told my oldest child as she learned to drive, "You may have the legal right of way to go through an intersection. But, check to make sure someone else isn't running the red light. You get to decide whether you want to be right and dead, or give up a bit of your 'right' to go through the intersection to avoid a potentially fatal accident." If there was an accident, it wouldn't be her fault - she had the right of way. But, that would be little consolation.

It is really about choices. The victim in this case (and in these kinds of cases) can choose to get wasted-drunk. Even if they are underage, they can make that choice. In doing so, they have to recognize that they are abdicating the ability to avoid certain situations later in the evening.

It isn't their fault the bad thing happens - plenty of bad things happen to people who AREN'T impaired. But why make it any easier for the bad guys?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also, never go to location B.....
    if they are going to kill you anyway make them do it right there....
    they don't have a plan for location A.
    That would be the emanations you're pickin' up from the penumbra I'm puttin' down.

I wonder if he ever spoke of a Lauren???
    And I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down too. Rightly or wrongly, I predict that all of the years of fear and frustration in the Spierer case are gonna be unleashed on Messel. I would just prefer it be unleashed rightly.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cops need to Joe Friday this case and put the old one aside until they have the current one done. Focus on conviction, not on tv coverage.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Cops need to Joe Friday this case and put the old one aside until they have the current one done. Focus on conviction, not on tv coverage.

Well, it is 2 different jurisdictions, so that's less of a problem. As I understand it, ISP is handling the Wilson case, whereas Spierer is Bloomington PD. Even if it were one agency doing both, they would probably make sure to devote sufficient resources.

Regardless of the TV-quotient, they are both important cases.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, it is 2 different jurisdictions, so that's less of a problem. As I understand it, ISP is handling the Wilson case, whereas Spierer is Bloomington PD. Even if it were one agency doing both, they would probably make sure to devote sufficient resources.

Regardless of the TV-quotient, they are both important cases.

They SO want to have a monster to blame the Spierer case on just like this one. It takes the emphasis off of what we all should be doing better in relation to this growing trend of irresponsible drinking among our not yet mature young adults.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    it appears there is a social media link between him and her. It appears she rejected him. It appears that rejection might have peaked his interest to change her mind or stalk her

Top Bottom