• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not saying this would happen, rather posting my experience. Not so long ago, 4-5 years, a new diesel web site opened it's doors. Very similar to how things have went here, growth was crazy, the cost to run and maintain the site also grew large. So we the members all pitched in. I don't remember if we got titles like supporter, or anything, but we pitched it. Then along came the big money advertisers. Things changed along the way from being a place for enthusiasts, to a business(not necessarily a bad thing). The site continued to grow(30K members I believe), rules were bent or ignored for the vendors the owner liked the best, or gave him free parts. Censorship of competing products/vendors started. THEN, he sold out. Sold to a huge auto forums conglomerate which has broken up the chevy diesel community. I felt, as did most of the other members, that he owned the site, but it was OURS. WE pitched in, we made the content, and we helped it survive in the beginning. From that website I bought $7k worth of mods for my truck, from vendors, mostly local.

So with that, I have reservations giving money. I should not because WE are all locals. I believe that fenway is even in hamiltion county. Yet I do.

I would like to see a statement from the man as to the goals, mission, and so on of this site. So far in myreading, it looks like you own the site, but it is ours. Seems like all the support staff is open to suggestions and that is great.

This is not a attempt to cause problems, or stir up trouble, rather open up communication to those of us that are on the fence, or newer members in this community.

While I'm at it I have a couple of suggestions if they have not already been posted. I think the titles are all to similar. Supporting vendors should have there names in a different color than the rest of us or something. Same goes for admins, and mods. I like it when a poster can easily be identified as to status as vendor, supporter, or clown(like myself).

thanks

Stove

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't even know what to say about that. I suppose you can keep your reservations and your money since it is only privliges you purchase with some extra storage space. Being a true (post) contributor is how we make INGO better.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    There has never been any pressure to pay to be a site supporter. I chose to do so because this site and its members provided me with great information (I'm a relatively new shooter) and I enjoy the conversations on INGO. We've had some bad apples from time to time, but the mods have done a good job in keeping the site respectful.

I know that I have no say in how the site is run, even though I'm a supporter. I didn't support the sight to have a say so. I did it to say thanks and as a small payback for all the camaraderie, information and entertainment it provides.

There seems to be a lot of integrity in how the site is run. I don't think you need to worry. If you enjoy it enough to put a $10 (or greater) value on it, make the contribution. If not, well then don't.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    There has never been any pressure to pay to be a site supporter. I chose to do so because this site and its members provided me with great information (I'm a relatively new shooter) and I enjoy the conversations on INGO. We've had some bad apples from time to time, but the mods have done a good job in keeping the site respectful.

I know that I have no say in how the site is run, even though I'm a supporter. I didn't support the sight to have a say so. I did it to say thanks and as a small payback for all the camaraderie, information and entertainment it provides.

There seems to be a lot of integrity in how the site is run. I don't think you need to worry. If you enjoy it enough to put a $10 (or greater) value on it, make the contribution. If not, well then don't.
    I totally agree...being a site supporter is a small price to pay, considering all the information that can be obtained here, and comaraderie of people with like interests.
    So...if you would rather spend your $10 at Mcdonalds go ahead.:dunno:

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For me it has less to do with the money. Really what is $10 now days! Trust me, we had this same comrade, with guys going out of there way to help each other. It's more the effort that members and mods put into a site to have it yanked out from under them. Being an admin, or mod is a thankless jobs and takes lots of time, just as being a contributing member does. Hell I don't know much about firearms compared to the veterans here, so I don't post much.

I started this thread because I think there might be many people on the fence, some because they don't think it takes much money to run a forum like this, and others think it is turning a huge profit. Neither are true, thus my desire to open this dialogue.

On the flip side, there needed to be some changes. Some are here just to sell and are taking advantage of the system. Just part of the growing pains of a forum growing this fast.

This is the first place I log into when I get online. Not only to read about "guns", but also local information.

later

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    On the flip side, there needed to be some changes. Some are here just to sell and are taking advantage of the system. ..........

Plans are in progress to purge this peril from our day. (ERROR Otho - Beetlejuice) Actual quote - Associate BOB - Demolition Man

50 quality posts are going to be required for the sale board
    instead of the current 10. :yesway:

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i doubt many site supporters on here supported for extra privilages or a banner. if fenway came and said "we are taking your banner and extra pm space" i would have no problem and would defintally renew my supporter when due.

i gave my 10 dollars for a few reasons

1. i sold a few things and bought a few. I feel if im going to use the classifieds at all i should give 10 dollars to help the site run.

2. this is the most important for me. i would gladly give 10 dollars for the extra firarms knowlege ive gotten here. i recently started reloading and there is no way i would have attempted it without the advise and without the answers to countless dumb questions ive asked here. to me reloading has become as addicting as shooting and it wouldn't be possible without the people ive met through this site and all the knowlege here.

i guess basically what im saying is if ingo goes away tomorow (god forbid) ive gotten my 10 worth of info and deals and would gladly become a site supporter again, even if i didn't get a cool banner

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm not saying this would happen, rather posting my experience. Not so long ago, 4-5 years, a new diesel web site opened it's doors. Very similar to how things have went here, growth was crazy, the cost to run and maintain the site also grew large. So we the members all pitched in. I don't remember if we got titles like supporter, or anything, but we pitched it. Then along came the big money advertisers. Things changed along the way from being a place for enthusiasts, to a business(not necessarily a bad thing). The site continued to grow(30K members I believe), rules were bent or ignored for the vendors the owner liked the best, or gave him free parts. Censorship of competing products/vendors started. THEN, he sold out. Sold to a huge auto forums conglomerate which has broken up the chevy diesel community. I felt, as did most of the other members, that he owned the site, but it was OURS. WE pitched in, we made the content, and we helped it survive in the beginning. From that website I bought $7k worth of mods for my truck, from vendors, mostly local.

So with that, I have reservations giving money. I should not because WE are all locals. I believe that fenway is even in hamiltion county. Yet I do.

I would like to see a statement from the man as to the goals, mission, and so on of this site. So far in myreading, it looks like you own the site, but it is ours. Seems like all the support staff is open to suggestions and that is great.

This is not a attempt to cause problems, or stir up trouble, rather open up communication to those of us that are on the fence, or newer members in this community.

While I'm at it I have a couple of suggestions if they have not already been posted. I think the titles are all to similar. Supporting vendors should have there names in a different color than the rest of us or something. Same goes for admins, and mods. I like it when a poster can easily be identified as to status as vendor, supporter, or clown(like myself).

thanks

Stove
    Sounds like you got your value. :dunno:

As far as titles are concerned, read the FAQs.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i doubt many site supporters on here supported for extra privilages or a banner. if fenway came and said "we are taking your banner and extra pm space" i would have no problem and would defintally renew my supporter when due.

i gave my 10 dollars for a few reasons

1. i sold a few things and bought a few. I feel if im going to use the classifieds at all i should give 10 dollars to help the site run.

2. this is the most important for me. i would gladly give 10 dollars for the extra firarms knowlege ive gotten here. i recently started reloading and there is no way i would have attempted it without the advise and without the answers to countless dumb questions ive asked here. to me reloading has become as addicting as shooting and it wouldn't be possible without the people ive met through this site and all the knowlege here.

i guess basically what im saying is if ingo goes away tomorow (god forbid) ive gotten my 10 worth of info and deals and would gladly become a site supporter again, even if i didn't get a cool banner

I totally agree, and after starting this thread(more or less a way for me to think out loud) I will become a supporter also!:ingo:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Another way for me to look at it is that I spent $17 for me and my son to see Transformers 2 this afternoon. Great movie but it lasted less than 3 hours.

An INGO Site Supporter membership is the deal of the century!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I totally agree, and after starting this thread(more or less a way for me to think out loud) I will become a supporter also!:ingo:

Thanks for your support! Of course, it's Fenway's board and we mods ultimately have no say in how he runs it as a business, but I do not believe he has any intention of "selling out". He's not shown any inclination thus far. The rest of us are certainly doing our best to not let you down.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I have a question about your site. What site was it, and who took it over? Sounds very familiar to something that happened with another site I used to frequent and moderate. RickP was the guy who bought that one out, and he owned a lot more automotive forums as well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think the titles are all to similar. Supporting vendors should have there names in a different color than the rest of us or something. Same goes for admins, and mods. I like it when a poster can easily be identified as to status as vendor, supporter, or clown(like myself).

Advertising Supporters have their screen names in blue.

Admin and moderators have their screen names in black.

Site Supporters have a banner under their screen name, as do the admin/mods and advertising supporters.

Top Bottom